What's Next?

BrianLo

Original Poster
Universal is perhaps always sitting in the enviable (or disadvantaged) position of holding their cards way closer to their chest. We are in a pretty unique time that the short term (Potter and Jurassic World) plans are well circulated and the longish term (Fantastic Worlds) plans are completely unavoidable.

But we now have a weirdly blank frame of time: 2021, 2022 and perhaps even 2023 with a virtually unknown slate and ongoing promise for things every year.

No "But Disney's" from me. However, we cannot ignore a competitor down the road has two E-tickets slated for 2021 + a 50th anniversary that has pretty sizeable marketing budgets and entertainment incoming. Don't balk at the impact of major anniversaries, just ask Tokyo or Disneyland.

We also cannot ignore a 40th anniversary (probable extension of the 50th in a sense) and the top out of some strongly rumoured and more known quantities to follow in Epcot 3.0's formal unveiling.

Fantastic Worlds is huge, but it's also possibly gravitating more firmly towards the middle of next decade. A huge play, but in the area of short attention spans, Universal needs to make a few moves before then.

So what the heck are they? Will we have some pleasant last minute approvals?

Is Toon Lagoon going? Will KidZone promise that it will close every January of next decade as well? Will Orlando truly be content taking up the rear with Nintendo (seemingly not in hugely expansive way when it does come)? Will Universal actually realize Marvel is more popular than just about anything they own? Will they properly utilize their animation portfolio in their original two parks?

Am I putting too much pressure on a company that should just be allowed to focus on a new park?

Some solidification on 2021-'22 should be incoming, or it will be a pretty one sided start to the decade and a different sort of one sided play in the middle.

raven

Universal also takes 1/3 of the time to build something and doesn’t release the details years ahead of time like their competitors down the road. They tend to keep their plans under wraps until closer to actual construction begins and near opening dates.

lebeau

The Hagrid Motorbike ride hasn't opened yet. After that, we know we're getting a Jurassic Park coaster and a replacement for Terminator (probably a Jason Bourne stunt show). That probably gets us through 2021. I'm sure Universal has additional plans in motion beyond that but as you point out they tend to keep a lid on their plans that far out.

I'd prefer they leave Toon Lagoon and KidZone in place. There are some empty spaces that need to be filled in before they replace those lands. IoA has two unused theaters. Let's put some good shows in them. Swapping out Fear Factor for the Ministry of Magic seems like a no brainer. And I wouldn't say no to a new Marvel ride although that doesn't seem to be a high priority at the moment. That Secret Life of Pets ride could probably be cloned to Orlando pretty quickly I bet.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Universal also takes 1/3 of the time to build something and doesn’t release the details years ahead of time like their competitors down the road. They tend to keep their plans under wraps until closer to actual construction begins and near opening dates.

Totally, but we are in a sense narrowing in on that 1/3rd timeframe.

Taking USH as our example, a SLOP clone would require Shrek to close this summer (Globe Theatre-July 2018) to make a reasonable 2021 debut. Meaning design work and translation to Florida should almost all be done.

Perhaps it will just be entertainment refreshes carrying us through to Fantastic Worlds if we don't see movement by late this year.

BrianLo

Original Poster
Swapping out Fear Factor for the Ministry of Magic seems like a no brainer. And I wouldn't say no to a new Marvel ride although that doesn't seem to be a high priority at the moment. That Secret Life of Pets ride could probably be cloned to Orlando pretty quickly I bet.

These are all the projects I've really wanted for years. No offence Fallon and Supercharger.

The Studios must be slated for something semi-major beyond Bourne. Otherwise that's a long wait to 2025.

I am curious this may be something that should be discussed way down the line for the future of Universal Orlando’s New expansion property they bought in 2015 which is about 500 something acres. Once Fantastic Worlds is built along with most likely hotels, citywalk, etc. Does Universal Orlando still have a lot of land remaining at the new property to add a fifth park and another water park like volcano bay? I talked to a someone online and they said they only have room to add 1 more park which that would be Fantastic Worlds. Fantastic Worlds really should be the 3rd dry park not counting Volcano Bay but all I’m saying do you think Universal will try to catch up with WDW after what they are doing with Star Wars Galaxy’s Edge, Tron, Guardians of the Galaxy, possible Indy Updated Show? Again I’m not sure if that new universal property is enough to house 2 new theme parks 1 being Fantastic Worlds the other would be dry and the next 2nd Universal Orlando water park.

lebeau

These are all the projects I've really wanted for years. No offence Fallon and Supercharger.

The Studios must be slated for something semi-major beyond Bourne. Otherwise that's a long wait to 2025.

Fallon for me is a base hit at best and Fast & Furious is a complete miss. I'll throw Kong in there as something that is okay but could have been better. The last several years' worth of new attractions have been less than spectacular. I am cautiously optimistic that changes with the Hagrid coaster.

Post Hagrid and Bourne, I am sure there will be something. That Secret Life of Pets rumor makes a lot of sense, I think. They probably have other things they can pull the trigger on when the time comes. I won't be surprised if Ministry of Magic opens in the time frame you're asking about.

But all we can do at this point is speculate. Those who know what's in the hopper aren't talking and those who are talking don't know. I just hope whatever is coming in the lead-up to Fantastic Worlds is more exciting than synergistic. I don't need The Voice Experience or Race Through Late Night with Seth Meyers.

Fingers crossed that Universal has figured out what works and what doesn't.

Animaniac93-98

Someone asked on The Park Stop podcast if anything major is coming to UNI between now and the new park opening and the answer was basically just the JP coaster and the Bourne stunt show. They also speculated about UNI announcing the new park when Disney is celebrating WDW's 50th anniversary.

I assume they'll make a big deal of HHN30 next year, but that's not a year-round thing you can promote.

So here's my guess:

2019: Hagrid's
2020: Bourne, HHN30 (mid-August to mid-November), 30th Anniversary (if they want, they don't really do birthdays...)
2021: Jurassic Park Coaster / Updated River Adventure
2022: ???
2023: Fantastic Worlds

Jon81uk

Someone asked on The Park Stop podcast if anything major is coming to UNI between now and the new park opening and the answer was basically just the JP coaster and the Bourne stunt show. They also speculated about UNI announcing the new park when Disney is celebrating WDW's 50th anniversary.

I assume they'll make a big deal of HHN30 next year, but that's not a year-round thing you can promote.

So here's my guess:

2020: Bourne, HHN30 (mid-August to mid-November), 30th Anniversary (if they want, they don't really do birthdays...)

Do you think 2022 might then see some Nintendo or Pokémon rides/lands/areas? I know it is expected the Super Mario World is going into the Fantastic World park, but there has been rumours of other things taking over the Barney or whatever kids area in USO and Legend of Zelda maybe taking over Lost Continent in IoA.

Animaniac93-98

Do you think 2022 might then see some Nintendo or Pokémon rides/lands/areas? I know it is expected the Super Mario World is going into the Fantastic World park, but there has been rumours of other things taking over the Barney or whatever kids area in USO and Legend of Zelda maybe taking over Lost Continent in IoA.

Too soon for those things IMO. They’d have to start building now to be finished by 2022.

JT3000

If they decide another project is warranted, it's obviously going to be SLOP. It's the easy fix. The only question is where it's going. I'm not sure if the Shrek space is large enough, but it would make the most sense. It also gives us one less 3D attraction, potentially saving Despicable Me from Hollywood's fate.

Kidzone will likely continue to rot.

Animaniac93-98

So here's my guess:

I should start picking lottery numbers. :D

Though it sounds like I'll be wrong about any updates to the River Adventure.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom