What Might Have Been: Donald Duck in "Tokyo Disneyland Fantasy Tour"

mharrington

Original Poster
Does anyone here know any Japanese? Because I don't, and it would be nice to know something about it for this game, as it's only in Japanese. But in any case...

In 1998, there was released a Game Boy game only in Japan called "Tokyo Disneyland Fantasy Tour":
s-l500.jpg

03322.jpg

Apparently, from what little I can gather, you play little minigames themed to various attractions at Tokyo Disneyland. Mickey, Minnie and Goofy are the hosts, and they each host five separate attractions.

Mickey's attractions are as follows:
1) The Disney Gallery
2) Pirates of the Caribbean
3) Cinderella Castle Mystery Tour
4) MicroAdventure! (their equivalent of Honey, I Shrunk the Audience)
5) Mickey's House

Minnie's attractions are as follows:
1) Jungle Cruise
2) Tom Sawyer Island Rafts
3) Splash Mountain
4) Dumbo the Flying Elephant
5) Minnie's House

Goofy's attractions are as follows:
1) Big Thunder Mountain
2) Beaver Brothers Explorer Canoes
3) Haunted Mansion
4) Visionarium (their equivalent of The Timekeeper)
5) Goofy's Bounce House

However, I have no idea what you do in these games, as I don't speak Japanese, but here's a video of the game in action. Maybe someone may know what's going on and explain better:

What makes this a "what might have been" scenario is that, conspicuously, one member of Mickey's gang is missing, and there are still enough attractions in Tokyo left to warrant a fourth set of minigames. That member would be Donald Duck, and his attractions would be as follows:
1) Western River Railroad
2) Country Bear Jamboree
3) Peter Pan's Flight
4) Space Mountain
5) Donald's Boat

Again, though, maybe if someone would be able to understand Japanese better than I ever could, I might be able to come up with ideas for Donald's set of minigames. As it is, Western River Railroad would involve something with the Primeval World dinosaurs, while Peter Pan's Flight could involve a fight with Captain Hook (maybe in the style of the Villains Revenge CD-ROM). What do you think?

Last edited:

JokersWild

Lucky for you I have a toddler's understanding of the Japanese language. From what I can gather, there doesn't seem to be any story. There's so much "exposition" in the beginning of the video because the streamer started the game in Guide Mode, which I assume explains everything to the player in detail to help kids grasp the concept. To paraphrase from my understanding, I believe that Minnie is saying "Welcome to Fantasyland (she's using the Japanese word for country - kuni. I'm not sure what a better translation would be.). We have many interesting attractions for you to experience. Pick an attraction and I'll follow you to it." or something to that effect.

So really, you can do whatever you want with Donald. This seems more like a glorified minigame collection than anything.

mharrington

Original Poster
Lucky for you I have a toddler's understanding of the Japanese language. From what I can gather, there doesn't seem to be any story. There's so much "exposition" in the beginning of the video because the streamer started the game in Guide Mode, which I assume explains everything to the player in detail to help kids grasp the concept. To paraphrase from my understanding, I believe that Minnie is saying "Welcome to Fantasyland (she's using the Japanese word for country - kuni. I'm not sure what a better translation would be.). We have many interesting attractions for you to experience. Pick an attraction and I'll follow you to it." or something to that effect.

So really, you can do whatever you want with Donald. This seems more like a glorified minigame collection than anything.
What about Mickey and Goofy? Do you know what they're saying? More importantly, do you know the objectives of these games? In this and other videos, people try to play the games, only to keep losing, no doubt because they are unfamiliar with Japanese, too.

JokersWild

What about Mickey and Goofy? Do you know what they're saying? More importantly, do you know the objectives of these games? In this and other videos, people try to play the games, only to keep losing, no doubt because they are unfamiliar with Japanese, too.
I don't have time to go through the entire 40 minute video, but I'm sure that the dialogue is mostly the same. There does seem to be some personalization in some of the dialogue (I think I saw Minnie making reference to Mickey briefly before the Dumbo minigame,) but I'd think that the introduction dialogue would be mostly the same between each character aside from the obvious differences in minigames.

As for the minigames being tough to understand, I think that more an issue with the game itself than the streamer being unable to understand it. The one that I was able to watch, Dumbo The Flying Elephant, seemed to have players flying around (using the A Button to gain altitude) collection blue balloons and avoiding black balloons. Honestly, most of the super long dialogue sequence before the minigame was pretty irrelevant and seemed to mostly be Minnie describing who Dumbo and Timothy Mouse are. The minigames seem pretty easy to pick up without any explanation, but the quality of the game itself makes it more difficult to win.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom