What exactly are they doing to the Contemporary?

CTXRover

Basically they are performing a complete makeover of all the interior spaces of the resort, with particularly dramatic changes to the look/design of the guest rooms to what I consider to be a much more appropriate style fitting of the "Contemporary" title, as well as being much more high-scale in appearance.

For an example of what the new rooms look like check out these pics available at allearsnet.com:http://www.allearsnet.com/acc/g_contm.htm Look at the pics under the "Model of Contemporary Resort's New Guest Rooms" heading.

As the makeover continues, the lobby area will get a similar makeover to match the rooms. Already some of the walls have been painted the brownish color seen in the hallways of the re-done rooms. The elevators also received an interior makeover to fit the new look and style as well. Apparently the last phase of the refurb will involve re-doing the councourse area, but I don't believe any changes have been made yet.

Overall, its a HUGE upgrade for the resort fitting of the "deluxe" category it is grouped into.

jesserin

We stayed in a "rennovated" room not too long ago and it wasn't quite like the pics... the bathroom, sofa, & bedding were all new - but didn't look anything like the picture... maybe that's just the suites... the bedding was just an updated color version of the industrial one's they had before, and the closets weren't nearly as nice, and there was no flat screen...

Not that I complained... I loved the old rooms - just be prepared, the pics make it look like the new Swan & Dolphin rooms... from what we saw, they weren't quite that... :)

hunterfalcon

Yeah, when I stayed at the Contemporary last summer I realized that it wa not really contemporary at all. It was still great, don't get me wrong, but the design could use an upgrade.

I am really glad they are doing something with it. The old look of the rooms was so outdated it was really hard to justify the high price to stay there. Does anyone know when the whole refurb might be completed?

CTXRover

jesserin said:
We stayed in a "rennovated" room not too long ago and it wasn't quite like the pics... the bathroom, sofa, & bedding were all new - but didn't look anything like the picture... maybe that's just the suites... the bedding was just an updated color version of the industrial one's they had before, and the closets weren't nearly as nice, and there was no flat screen...

Not that I complained... I loved the old rooms - just be prepared, the pics make it look like the new Swan & Dolphin rooms... from what we saw, they weren't quite that... :)

Hmmm... I'm not quite sure. It may be suite thing?? I personally haven't stayed in or been in one of the newly renovated rooms myself, but a friend of mine had pictures of the room from their stay and what I remember it looked pretty much exactly like the model room. I remember there being something a bit different about the look of the bedding (I don't think it had that red runner at the foot), but it was pretty much like the the model...definetely had the flat screen TV.

I know the new Poly rooms don't look exactly like the model either at this point. They have everything but the nice large headboard on the beds shown in the model pics. I can only hope that the plans are to still install those headboards. What they have now is just the old bamboo frame that held the canopy over the beds...minus the canopy though.

Epcot82Guy

While that certainly is a rumor that has been going around, some newer information is suggesting scrapping this idea to update it to a more adult/business-oriented resort for the convention crowds (the upper level of what Coronado is). Neither has really been official, though.

Mr.EPCOT

The strong rumor going around at work right now is that Chef Mickey's will be expanded into the current Concourse Steakhouse area, the Concourse Steakhouse will be moved to where the Food & Fun Center is (I guess it wouldn't be much of a 'Concourse" Steakhouse, then, wouldn't it?), and the Food & Fun Center might more or less be moved into the North End of the Concourse, where the shops are. Personally, I'd more like to see them move the Food & Fun Center out by the pools, around where the boat rental booth and such are.

jmuboy

jesserin - if you did not have a flat screen tv you were not in a renovated room. all rooms will have flat screen tv's soon.

Invero

jesserin said:

The suites have not been renovated yet.

Patsfan28

My fiance and I stayed there in early Feb in a Tower Magic Kingdom room and absolutely loved it. We were on the 9th floor and the newly renovated room was one of the best rooms i had ever stayed in. It is definately now "Contemporary"

bgraham34

My cousin is doing construction on the Contemporary I actually saw him while I was on my way on a boat from WL to the Magic Kingdom it was funny.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom