What can I videotape ????

ArielLover

Original Poster
Hey all, This is my first post here. I am trying to find a list of attractions that can and cannot be videotaped in the 4 parks in Florida. My camcorder does not use a light so that is a non issue for me. I know many do not allow the use of a light but I am trying to find out what I cannot videotape at all. I have heard Alien Encounter is on the no-no list. I would like a list of all 4 parks and even Universal, Seaworld, and Busch gardens if anyone knows. I am leaving on July 12 from New Hampshire and driving down as my daughter wants to visit a few colleges on the way down. I really want to tape as much as I can this time around but want to stay within the "rules". HELP ! You can email directly at joep4040@attbi.com as well if you prefer. thanks.

ArielLover

The_CEO

IOA: Possible * Get Away With * List

Jurassic Park River Adventure

Spiderman is a good one. They dont care Just dont have any exterior lighting

Dudly if you want your cam soaked

Cat in the hat is ok

and the shows are ok to film

NO NO's

Dueling Dragons

Hulk

Just the major coasters :)

wdwcrazy

Anything with a movie in it (3-D movies, Universe of Energy ect..) you're not allowed to videotape in. I got caught taping on Jurassic Park River Adventure and they even stopped the ride until I put my camera away so I wouldn't recommend taping on that. Other than that have a great time taping everything, I know I did.

General Grizz

Welcome to the boards!

Feel free to use your camera anywhere - except the more obvious places (i.e. thrill rides, unless you really have a grip...but not roller coasters...). Things like Alien Encounter are hard to film because you are restrained. However, attractions like Splash Mountains CAN be filmed, just make sure to cover your camera from during the falls!

As for the animatronic shows, i.e. Carousel of Progress, Country Bear Jamboree, Enchanted Tiki Room UNM, Food Rocks, Timekeeper, the Cast Members request that you use no external lighting. This is distracting to other guests.

A random CM may ask you to put your camera away (possibly on a confusion of policy), but that probably won't happen as long as there are no distracting feautres on your camera.

Welcome, again, and have fun filming! :)

As for Walt Disney World, these are attractions you will most likely never have an issue filming:

Magic Kingdom
Share A Dream Come True Parade
Cinderella's Surprise Celebration
Character Greetings Around the Park
Ariel's Grotto
Storytime with Belle at Fairytale Garden
Cinderella Castle
Country Bear Jamboree
The Enchanted Tiki Room -- Under New Management
The Hall of Presidents
The Haunted Mansion
Jungle Cruise
Pirates of the Caribbean
Swiss Family Treehouse
Walt Disney's Carousel of Progress
Frontierland Shootin' Arcade
The Magic Carpets of Aladdin
Cinderella's Golden Carrousel
"it's a small world"
Splash Mountain (Cover the lens during drops!)
Mickey's Country House
Minnie's Country House
Peter Pan's Flight
Snow White's Scary Adventures
Buzz Lightyear's Space Ranger Spin
The Many Adventures of Winnie the Pooh
Liberty Belle Riverboat
Main Street Vehicles
The Timekeeper
Tomorrowland Transit Authority
Tom Sawyer Island
Walt Disney World® Railroad

EPCOT
Ellen's Energy Adventure
Innoventions
Journey Into Imagination With Figment
Leave A Legacy
Living with the Land
Spaceship Earth
Circle of Life
The Making of Me/Honey, I Shrunk the Audience! (A CM MAY ask you to stop taping, but chances are low.)
The Living Seas
The American Adventure
America Gardens Theatre
El Río del Tiempo
Impressions de France
Maelstrom
O Canada!
Reflections of China
Cranium Command
Food Rocks!
IllumiNations: Reflections of Earth

Disney-MGM Studios

Walt Disney - One Man's Dream/Star Tours/Who Wants To Be A Millionaire - Play It!/Playhouse Disney – Live on Stage! (A CM MAY ask you to stop taping during the show/ride portion, but chances are low.)
Disney Stars and Motor Cars Parade
The Great Movie Ride
The Magic of Disney Animation
Disney-MGM Studios Backlot Tour
"Honey, I Shrunk the Kids" Movie Set
The American Film Institute Showcase
Toy Story Pizza Planet
Indiana Jones™ Epic Stunt Spectacular!
Who Wants To Be A Millionaire - Play It!
Sounds Dangerous starring Drew Carey
Academy of Television Arts & Sciences Hall of Fame Plaza
Fantasmic!
"Beauty and the Beast" -- Live on Stage
Voyage of The Little Mermaid

Disney's Animal Kingdom
Kilimanjaro Safaris® (Be careful with the camera)
Maharajah Jungle Trek
Pangani Forest Exploration Trail
Affection Section
Conservation Station®
The Boneyard®
The Tree of Life
Cretaceous Trail
Discovery Island™ Trails
Habitat Habit!
Mickey's Jammin' Jungle Parade
Primeval Whirl! (Careful with your Camera)
DINOSAUR (Careful with your Camera)
It's Tough to be a Bug!® (A CM MAY ask you to stop taping during the show portion, but chances are low.)

Many times, when policy says it's 'okay' to film, a CM may just say, there is no filming to you personally. Many people, if that is the case, hide their camera until the show starts. Or, if you have a better conscience, ask another Cast Member. (I.e. some knowledgable CMs allow filming with no lighting in the CoP. Others may say 'no filming at all' just because of those few distractions.)

Hope this helps!

meeko_33785

Who Wants To Be A Millionare and the Animation Tour at Disney-MGM prohibit video camera use while inside the attraction. I believe that Voyage of the Little Mermaid does as well. Videotaping is also discouraged at many of the film based attractions (3D Movies, circile-vision films, Impressions de France). Many of the rougher rides like Space Mountain and Tower of Terror allow photography but I wouldn't recogmend it, it's very rough and video would not turn out well. Also any rides are very dark (Alien Encounter, Sounds Dangerous, Peter Pan, DINOSAUR) and video taping may not turn out very well.

dizpins14

do not tape Alien Encounter cause the cast members get really mad if you try to. I almost got thrown out of the attraction. My camera has to power down and I was turning it off when they asked but they thought it was still on and started yelling, stuff like that. This past trip that happened to someone else. Funny thing is they say no flash photos not no photography at all.

colliera

Taping hints

Here's a few attractions that I've taped and what worked and what didn't.

Haunted Mansion - I've tried this with IR lighting both built into the camera and as an added IR booster unit. It works well but will tend to "hot spot" what you are taping if you are in wide angle. Zoom in some on the center of the picture to eliminate this. In the graveyard scene there is a theratical material called scrim which is a thin gauze like material that is between you and the actual sets that isn't apprarent to the eye but adds to the foggy look of the room. With IR you will light up the scrim and photograph the material and not the scene behind it. In this area it works better to kill of the IR and go back to regular light taping. What does work better here and in other low light rids is if you can overide your automatic exposure and manually set it and monitor it through your viewfinder. Light sources however will be very "hot" in the picture but is about the only way you will get the scene. In low light color will wash out and appear grainy.

Space Mt. - Just too rough and poorly lit. Don't bother.

Buzz Lightyear - Works fine. Forget about shooting and use the pods joystick to help aim your camera. Cool effect is if someone in your party is in the car before you and spins backwards and shoots their "laser" into your camer lens. The effect is striking.

Small World - Gosh, so much to see. Ride it twice to tape each side indepently. You won't get it all in one take.

Snow White - Is it just me or has Disney been turning down the lights in a lot of the attractions over the years. Open up the iris as much as possible. It's dark in here.

Peter Pan - Same as Snow White.

Pooh - Better lit. But fast moving to tape. Sometimes it helps to ride once just to look and get the lay of the ride and plan how to do this.

Hall of Presidents - not a problem. No video lights please. There's enough light on stage to make this work.

Tiki Room - It used to be easier in the old version as the action was duplicated four times to each part of the room. It isn't as easy now so where you sit will play a big part of this. BTW, don't leave so quick when the CM says it's time to go. Very funny speil to tape if you will just hang around a couple of minutes.

Jungle Cruise - This can be a very humid ride with the water, waterfalls, and the misters. If your camera has been in the air conditioned room overnight and hasn't warmed up to the Florida heat your camera may shut down due to the formation of dew on the recording head. Very humid in the temple caves. Also, switch to IR if you have it in the cave.

Pirates - Do a maunal iris here as well. IR doesn't due it justice in the town scenes but you will want to use in on the drop and in the caves.

Big Thunder - Sit further back on the train. Shoot to the side of the train rather than straight ahead. Especially neat to capture the train going into a turn. That's not to say point 90 degrees left or right but aim at the engine and open up to wide angle. Get a good grip on the camera as well. As the tracks heat up during the day it gets rougher.

Splash Mt. - Similar to Big Thunder but some nice scene inside. You will have to switch to IR on the ramp up before the big drop. YOU WILL GET WET. A little, the Splash on the drop is really water cannons that shoot off over you for effect. You are more likely to get wet from the water cannons as you circle around the drop than going through it.

Alien Encounter - Sometimes you can get S.I.R.s' preshow. But the CMs are NOT going to let you tape in the main room. I have'nt tried shooting from the hip on this one yet but I can't see what there would be to tape anyway. It's more messing with your mind in the dark anyway.

WDW Railroad - Not a problem, sit on the right side facing the engine. More stuff on that side.

Liberty Bell Riverboat. Film toward Tom Sawyer Island, more stuff.
But this is a long ride. Make sure you have the battery and tape for it.

County Bear - No problem. Crowds have been noiser over the past few years messing up the audio track.

Carrousel of Progress - Sit near the back of the room and use your zoom. If you're too close you will have to pan too much. CMs sometimes say no taping. Usually you can get away with it.

Dumbo - Not a problem. Good if you can get in car just ahead other members of your party and trun to film backward and shoot them in flight. Warning, this is a 90 second ride total. You have got to be ready. Have that camera powered up and ready to go before you board.

Indy Racers - If you aren't the one driving OK. I wouldn't try it driving and looking though a viewfinder. You're just asking for a crash.

Goofy's Barnstormer. - This is rougher than it looks for filming. Hang on to that camera! I saw a guy almost loose his camera grabbing for a cap that got blown off. Secure loose articles like sunglasses too!

That's about it for the Magic Kingdom

PhotoDave219

I've never had a concern with losing teh camera, even on BTMRR or SM. What i've done is to take a climbing hook (or caribeener) and hook the camera strap and the camera bag strap together.

Works pretty good.

colliera

Hints 2

Ooops! Forgot Timekeeper. CMs won't let you. You might get some of it before they shut you down. Usually you can get the Timekeeper and Nine Eyes before the film starts. Hint, if your cameral has a red "action" light when you are taping turn it off or tape it over with black electrical tape. It is a beacon in the night for a CM looking for you. This is about the only film at Disney that will tape with good quality as it has a higher film rate than the standard 24 frames per second that often induce shutter/scan bars into your picture. Universal uses the higher projection rate on most of their rides so they tape better. (Sorry, just a fact.)

Now on to MGM . . .

Tower-of-Terror - Yes and no. No you can't. (Well just don't start taping until the doors shut. I would have recommended the seatbelt seat as you don't have to hold on to anything but the camera. But now with the conversion to all seat belts it's not the issue it was. But, the original sucide seat still has the best view as no one is seated in front of you. DON'T try this with the camera held up to your eye to look through the viewfinder. You'll beat your self silly smacking your head with your camera as you go up and down. Shoot from the diaphram or mid-chest. This works better than you might think.

Rock'n'Roller Coaster - Like Space Mt. too dark and too fast to do much good. You can get some good stuff in the que area. Let others pass you by in line and at least get a car launch. I've never had anyone give any grief taping the pre-show in the recording studio. Either be front row or back and zoom on into the "control room" window where the action with Aerosmith is taking place. An empty studio isn't that interesting. What the hey, hey, hey . . .

Voyage of the Little Mermaid - Without video lights or tape in IR. Don't endanger a blinded CM with bright lights and flashes.

Who Wants to Be a Millionaire - They will tell you when you can and when you can't. Usually I would try anyway but the game is different everytime. (Are the questions rotated? I would think they are.) Anyway, it's too much fun to play the game than tape.

Star Tours - Haven't tried it. They do monitor the cabin. I've seen how much this ride actually moves around. Sometimes a 30 foot change in position at a time! Projection rate quality will not be the best.

Muppets 4-D. No restrictions I've ever heard. BUT you will need to place one of the lenses of the glasses over your camera's lens and shoot through it to cancel out the blurry imaging that make up the 3-D effect. You won't get a 3-D effect on tape as your camera wouldn't be able to record it. Now if you had two cameras strapped to each side of your head . . . hmmmm?

Great Movie Ride - Pre-show has the same projection rate problem but you can tape it OK. The ride is really dark in places, especially in the Alien set. The alien is on the right side coming out of the wall and overhead. Overhead is hard to get due to timing of the figure and where you sit. Use IR. Western/Gangster scene is hard but Western is easier. Ask CM which cue to take as you enter the pre-show for Western. I think it's the second line down but I forget.

Indy Stunt Show - Set back and use zoom. The stage is too wide to be up close. Otherwise it's easy to tape.

Beauty & Beast - Again Set back. Problem, action is sometimes between characters positioned on opposite sides of the stage which makes it hard to get the action without panning too fast or being so wide-angle that everything looks tiny. You might try taping once in wide-angle and then shooting again for closeups and edit the two tapes together.

Fantastmic! Try to position yourself dead center on one of the water screens. Better if it's in the center of the seating if possible. CMs will ask you to slide over. Ask which side they will slide people toward and try to anchor yourself to the seat next to an aisle. It will give you at least one side which will be clear of people until someone has to go get sometime to eat.

Playhouse Disney - Stand at the back wall to tape. Everyone else will be sitting on the floor.

The Parade (Currenty Stars & Motorcars) - Across from Sounds Dangerous. Used to be able to score the seats/steps at Sounds Dangerous but now they often move you off to rope the area for special guests.

Animation Tour - Very strick about where and when. Some parts yes, some no. They will tell you.

Originally posted by meeko_33785
Who Wants To Be A Millionare and the Animation Tour at Disney-MGM prohibit video camera use while inside the attraction. I believe that Voyage of the Little Mermaid does as well.

Video taping is allowed inside the Voyage of the Little Mermaid theater as long as you don't have an external light.

Also, you can video tape at Festival of the Lion King and Tarzan at DAK as long as you don't have an external light as well.

And by the way, Ariel Lover, welcome to the boards!

colliera

Hints 3

Animal Kingdom, from the animals to the signage to the architecture and exotic plants there's plenty to shoot.

Kilimanjaro Safaris - Fast and rough in places. Keep your eyes open. It's different everytime.

Kali River Rapids - Never tried it but this type of ride can really be wet.

Primeval Whirl - Not too hard to do but be aware of the spinning.

It's Tough To Be A Bug! - This is mostly 3-D like Muppets. You will have to put the glasses over the camera lens.

Any of the shows are pretty easy. Tarzan's stage comes out into the seating. The Lion King show is in the 'round' so it's easier to just pick a section across the way to tape and then also pick up the action in the center. Pocahontas is a one woman show and very easy to do.

At EPCOT . . .

Body Wars is like Star Tours at Disney Studios, not worth the effort.

Cranium Command, easy to do.

Universe of Energy - Ellen says NO. Who listens to Ellen?

Spaceship Earth - Easy to do but dark in some places.

Living Seas - Easy

Ride in The Land - Easy

Ice Station Cool - Not to be missed is taping someone while they drink the flavorful cola "Beverly" from Italy (I think it's Italy).

Test Track - Not to hard. Protect your cameral lens from the misting in the "cold" room. Don't forget to get your speed from the radar display in the final stretch outside.

Journey Into Your Imagination - Not to hard. More interesting to tape the leaping fountains outside.

El Rio Del Tiempo in Mexico - Very pretty and easy.

Maelstrom in Norway - I won't give it away if you haven't ridden but don't worry. It's not as bad as you think.

IllumiNations - This depends on where you can get to view it. Hint, look up. Are you looking into a tree. Then move, the fireworks are also up as well as out.

Timekeeper

Recording in Progress

One key to recording an attraction is repetition. Even if you don't have a computer capable of editing videos, chances are you will some day soon - those features are becoming as standard as modums and monitors. Shoot an attraction as a "wide" shot your first time through, then zoom in on specific items on your second time through.

Go into your camera's menu and turn off the record light as well as the sounds - the "beep" noise that's made when the camera is turned on, record start, record stop, etc.

When filming in a dark attraction, depending on the attraction, do *not* use your camera's flip out lcd screen. These create distracting "exterior" light effects that tend to illuminate you like a spotlight in a dark environment. Also, keep your shots relatively wide (zoomed out), this will help keep things in focus better than if the shot was zoomed in. If the attraction/show is really dark, even the small viewfinder can do the same. And if taping is "frowned on," you may need to cover this as well (a tiny cloth and rubber band will do the job). Just keep the lens wide and point the camera in the general direction. If you camera is not emitting light, and you're intensly staring down at your viewfinder, this acts as "misdirection" to the fact that you're taping in the first place.

I've heard some suggestions for using the infrared feature on your camera. Unless you really, really like the results of using infrared, don't. It's a waste of time and no one (probably you included) will enjoy watching the video afterwards. If the attraction is too dark to tape using normal/low light settings, just move on to a better attraction. It's not worth wasting battery power and time on a lost cause. Infrared taping is best suited for footage of the croc hunter in the jungle on the discovery channel, and even then it's quite annoying.

Camera size is also a factor. If you only have a large-size camcorder, you may want to consider investing in a newer, palm-sized camera. Chances are the quality of the newer/smaller camera is twice as good as the larger, older one. Someone working at Alien Encounter may notice someone holding a high-8 camera up at eye level, but no one has ever noticed the palm-size mini-dv camera placed on the arm rest to tape the whole show. (Because sections of the show are in "total darkness," this is when the viewfinder must also be covered.) Don't forget to add a uv (clear glass) filter to the front of your lens. This will protect the lens from, well, everything (water, dust, scratches.)

Note: "no flash photography" usually means "no photography at all" in the minds of the "could-be-more-intelligent" cast members. So the secret is simply this - be agressive . If you want a particular shot, get the particular shot. Of course, there may be some strategies to avoiding the problem in the first place, such as waiting until the attraction/show has begun. This does not mean being disrespectful to those around you, and of course you should not use a flash when asked not to - but when different employees are discriminatory to different guests, taking pictures without a flash does fall into the guidelines of the safety speil - regardless of someone else's discriminatory opinion. The one example I give of this is the Timekeeper attraction - one of my personal favorites - could you guess? Upon hearing that it would permanently close, I made sure to get plenty of pictures and high quality video of the attraction. While I cannot condone others for taping when asked not to, it was a personal decision that I made based on the totality of the situation. Of course, when other tourists pull out their videocameras, I don't feel quite as guilty, heh heh.

:sohappy:

Tk

General Grizz

Ooops! Forgot Timekeeper. CMs won't let you. You might get some of it before they shut you down.

This is exactly what I mean...I was able to videotape the show two times without any problem...and know quite a few who have.

It will vary depending on who your Cast Member is. :)

wyldstalyn84

I just love watching the videotapes of rides we weren't allowed to film. You'll see someone come up to my dad (you know who you are) and they'll say "sir...you're not allowed to videotape this ride" and he'll say ok, put the camera down then as soon as the ride operator leaves up goes the camera. Good times good times!:lol:

dolbyman

I thought to do the same .. but the risk of being thrown out was to high .. (first visit in 12 years .. and was not risking anything :eek: )

well as you all can,(could) and will see ...I did a lot of taping afterall :lol:

Brian_B

talk about massive thread ressurection...better late than never!

while we're at it I'll respond to the original question:

It's hard to tape Alien Encounter nowadays, because the cast members there are so darned picky about it. Also, it doesn't exist.

-Brian

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom