What are the smallest crowds you've experienced in WDW?

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
Commenting on the Illuminations thread about my strongest memories of ROE made me think back to some of the slowest times I've been in the parks. I'm wondering what others have experienced.

The slowest time I spent in the parks was definitely Christmas Week 2001. The country was still very much reeling from 9/11 and places like WDW (especially flying there) were feeling it. We were in WDW 12/21 through 12/27, and I vividly remember the entire trip feeling as if we were some of the only people in the parks. The "shoe bomber" incident happened while we were there, too, which didn't help matters, I'm sure.

In particular, I vividly remember Christmas Eve at Epcot. There was NO ONE there. I'm sure I'll never see this again (well, especially since it seems that Electric Umbrella is going away):

Our family of 5 was having a blast and enjoying the world. All of us were adults, with my twin brother and I having just turned 21 and my sister 25, so we were free to do whatever. We had just ridden SSE and it was about 11:45 so we headed to the Electric Umbrella for lunch.

We were the ONLY people in the Electric Umbrella. At noon. On Christmas Eve. It was honestly very spooky. That night, we found a bench right on the lagoon (I want to say we were around Japan but I can't remember exactly) a few minutes before Illuminations, and watched it feeling like we had the place to ourselves.

Since then, I remember being in WDW the day after Labor Day in, I believe, 2007 or 2008 (solo trip, before marriage or kids!). I remember walking by Peter Pan and it was a WALK ON. Never happened before (at least not since FP), and has never happened since. I remember seeing Lou Mongello heading into a meeting in Liberty Square (which I found interesting at the time), and saying, "Oh hey, Lou Mongello -- hey did you notice there's no line at Peter Pan?" An hour or two later, I saw him post on Twitter to get to MK and ride Peter Pan, since there was no line.

Random memory there 🤣

Nottamus

The week after Easter week 2018.

I remember being at Illuminations...having no issue finding a clear view uncrowded. When show started..i looked behind me, and as far as i could see left or right, the walkway was EMPTY.

Definitely the most uncrowded time for us.

belledream

Two days before Irma shut things down in 2017. We were also at Epcot... which I feel absorbs crowds well, but it was oddly spacious around World Showcase and yes, there was barely anyone around us watching Illuminations that night. It was a chill atmosphere, and we were cutting our trip early due to the hurricane, so that helped with the sting. It was quite fun!

This year, we arrived a few days after MCO reopened after Dorian and were surprised we could just walk onto Smuggler's Run. But obviously there were EEMHs and that SW:GE having other attendance issues factoring in. But it was a pretty quiet week at the other parks as well.

DryerLintFan

Premium Member
I know this isn't the point of your thread, but two weeks ago there was only one other family in Electric Umbrella at around noon. We went there a couple of times and never saw it busy.

Heppenheimer

I don't particularly remember the crowds being all that small, but watching home movies from the 70s and 80s, the number of people walking around the Magic Kingdom seems like a tiny fraction of what we see nowadays. This was particularly noticeable in the film my dad took while riding on the old Skyway.

Also, perhaps not what this thread intended, but Disneyland is often particularly empty during mid-week Extra Magic Hours. At our last visit in 2017, my wife and I rode Space Mountain, the Matterhorn, Alice in Wonderland, Peter Pan, Snow White, Pinocchio and Mr. Toad all within the first two hours.

Disney4family

The smallest crowds we've ever experienced - probably 10 years or so ago. We used to go the end of August. By the end of our stay, the parks really emptied out. It was great. The only things jarring at that time were all of the autumn decorations that used to go up in time for Labor Day.
I know. It's much earlier now. I'm sure next year they're scheduled to go up July 5th. :jawdrop:

Mickeyboof

Opening weekend of Galaxy’s Edge was the best I’ve experienced. I didn’t go back in the early 2000s. I never thought I’d get to experience a quiet WDW until that week!

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
I know this isn't the point of your thread, but two weeks ago there was only one other family in Electric Umbrella at around noon. We went there a couple of times and never saw it busy.

Wow no kidding?! Every time we've been there since, it's been packed (back on our wedding trip in 2014, we even sat upstairs, which I hadn't done in years).

mf1972

i can think of 2 incidents when wdw didn’t feel crowded. first was 10/01. f&w wasn’t that big back then, & i’ll assume 9/11 was a factor too.
the other incident could’ve been 2005 or 2006. we were staying at ASM during a hurricane (can’t remember the name). when the storm ended, they opened the parks for resort guests only around mid afternoon. we went to MK, & it could’ve been 1/3 full give or take

correcaminos

I am not sure what year it was but over 10 years ago at least. Damp and cooler day in December. The only people we saw at MK in the stretch from HM to the curve towards Pirates were 2 CMs doing their job. We even took a picture of it because it was so bare.

PeoplemoverTTA

Original Poster
I am not sure what year it was but over 10 years ago at least. Damp and cooler day in December. The only people we saw at MK in the stretch from HM to the curve towards Pirates were 2 CMs doing their job. We even took a picture of it because it was so bare.

Wow, that's especially impressive at MK!

I don't know if I should count this, because it was a hard ticket event, but my husband and I went to one of the nighttime events in January 2017 as well (was that the first year for them?) -- we walked 5+ minutes in MK without seeing another soul. It was really neat.

MacVenture

Our first visit to animal kingdom back in 2001. The place was empty! We rode Kail River Rapids (can't recall if it was called that back then) about 4 times. Upon exiting the raft the first time, we noticed there were no other guest on the ride platform. We asked if we could jump back on ride which we did. At the end of the second ride, the CM asked if we would like to stay on and ride again. Rinse and repeat....Of course, we were soaked by the fourth trip but we did have a blast!

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Hmm I went November 2001 and it certainly didn't seem like low crowds from 9/11.

I'd say the least crowded times I can remember were when my friend and I were the only ones on the bus from POP to the parks every day prior to RD in June 2007 and when most rides were a walk on when I went with my sister and niece in mid December 2007.

Now that I've gone so many times and have a routine sometimes walking through the parks seems overly crowded but the attractions don't.
I'm like what do people only go for food/insta pics and not the rides? lol.

Last edited:

Weather_Lady

This may sound nuts, but...

...Easter week 2005, during any and all evening extra magic hours. Back in those days (or at least, during that week in those days), there was really "magic" in extra magic hours: one park was open early every day for EMH, and another park would stay open 2-3 hours later for evening EMH. While the morning EMH crowds were lighter than nowadays, the evening EMH crowds were incredible: we went to all of the evening EMH and it felt like we were practically the only people in the parks. The Magic Kingdom evening EMH crowds were the lightest of all: I remember doing Space Mountain and Buzz Lightyear several times a row, not only walking onto everything but seeing no other guests, as if the attractions had been reserved solely for us. It was magical for sure!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom