What are my chances of going professional at Disney?

WDW77

Original Poster
I was wondering, what do you think my chances are of landing a professional role with the Mouse? I have a BA in criminal justice, but encountered difficulties finding a job in the field due to my visual disability. I have decided to change my career focus to business. I would like to work for Disney or open my own business, so rather then obtain an MBA; I have started a masters program in hospitality and tourism management at the Rosen College in Orlando.<ST1:p<O:p</O:p

I plan to do the CP and apply for a PI towards the end of my degree, in hopes that I will get hired on FT at the end of the PI. If I can not obtain a professional role in this manner, then I will have to get an hourly role and apply internally. How difficult is this to do? i.e., what is the applicant pool like? I’ve been told that for professional positions, there are one thousand applications per every position available. Is this true?
></O:p>
Thanks everyone

svickersart

This is a good question, I have considered the same thing myself but I'm on the west coast and want to move to Florida but the time isnt right for me. I wish you the best of luck. I havent heard the 1000 aps for one job thing, I think its exagerated myself, I have looked at the Disney Ccareer page many times and they have lots of positions avalible and some are open for months so I would think if they had that many people applying they would fill those positions. Keep witht eh schooling and if you can take a PT job with Disney, I hav eheard thats a good place to start. Many large companies like to promote from within even if the position is posted to the public so if you can afford to an entry level job with them you might give it a try.
Steve

Monorail

From my vantage point it's nearly impossible to get hired into a professional position at WDW. I have been applying for months (closing in on a year) for managerial technology positions that are very analogous to my current and past positions yet I haven't even gotten an invitation to a phone interview. I've gotten rejection letters for jobs that have then stayed open for months on their career portal. I know everyone thinks they're great and entitled to jobs but in many cases my qualifications should make me an exact fit. Especially "on paper". Its very strange that Disney won't invest the time for a 30 minute interview for a position they claim to need to fill.

It's very frustrating not being able to talk to someone and only working through their website. I've even gone in-person directly to casting but they say they only hire hourly (non-professional) positions.

Everyone I know who works at Disney says its VERY hard to get hired in from the outside at other than entry-level positions. I've considered taking a part-time job there just to be on the inside by my main job mostly precludes that (my team provides 24/7 support and I may be needed at any time).

I hate to sound so negative but that's been my experience. I would LOVE to hear about options I haven't investigated.

WDW77

Original Poster
Thanks for your input. The one thing I keep hearing from everyone is to network, network and network. Given my current major, in conjunction with my schools proximity to Disney, I am hoping that I will have the opportunity to do just that.

Lindsy1052

Thanks for your input. The one thing I keep hearing from everyone is to network, network and network. Given my current major, in conjunction with my schools proximity to Disney, I am hoping that I will have the opportunity to do just that.

Okay...worked for Disney for 9 1/2 years. When you say "professional" what exactly do you mean? What kind of position is it you are looking for? What you have been told is correct about most positions, they hire hourly and then you can move around from within. They go outside for professionals, i.e. lawyers.

If you mean professional as performer, not walk around characters, performers, they are all Union people, usually Actors Equity. These are the ones you see in the shows, parades and such. That is a whole other entity...

If you can give me more information I can try and direct you the best way to go about doing what you are looking to do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom