What age you can stay at WDW

Corgi

Original Poster
Hi all,

Writing this here because I wasn't sure if it'd fit in here or with the WDW Hotels forum, so if it does belong there, please move it.

Anyway, I had a question for you all. My boyfriend and I have been saving up to go to WDW next year during the summer when he will be 18, almost 19 and I will be about a month away from being 18. Legally, would we be able to get a room on Disney property? He would be a legal adult but I wouldn't be quite yet. Would it just be better to wait until we are both 18? This is something we've been dreaming of for quite awhile. Not sure if this really matters, but I am a DVC member through my parents, but wouldn't be using any points.

Also.... any tips on saving up for a Disney vacation? We've been saving a small bit of our paycheck every time but I was wondering if any of you have a good strategy you wanted to share. I've always gone with my parents who have more than enough money, so we've always stayed at deluxe resorts and DVC Villas. When I go with my boyfriend however, we'll probably be staying at a value resort like Art of Animation. I really wish we could stay around the Boardwalk because I love that area, so is there a way to get a cheap room there?

Thank you.

MissPixie

I don't think it would be a problem since he would be considered an adult. To play it safe you may want to have your parents be apart of the reservation process just in case they ask if permission is needed. I highly doubt that will happen though.

John park hopper

Since your boy friend will be 18 he can book a resort @WDW with a credit card. Not sure but I don't think it matters that you will be 17. As far as savings you can buy Disney gift cards from Sam's or other places at a discount and use a cash back credit card for purchase and get an additional discount. I've set up an account at my bank make deposits and pay off credit card when used (not accure interest). Look for resort discounts and free dinning plans

riverscu0m0

After I graduated high school, a group of me and my friends went. Only one was 18, we were fine. I put my card down and she just booked it through her name and info. You'll be fine!

A small way I save is that every $5 bill I get, I put away. Occasionally, I'll throw a ten in or even sometimes a twenty if my bills that month were less and there's nothing I need/want to spend more money on. I'm always pleasantly surprised when my vacation comes at how much I have. I'm a cash person though, I'm bonkers, so, I'm a skeptic of online banking so the majority of my money is cash lol

becca_

Though it's not ideal, you could do a split stay, maybe ask your mom/dad/parent to use some DVC points for a night at Boardwalk? I'm going in January with my boyfriend (19 & him 20) and we are staying Tues-Sun in a moderate (CSR) and Sun-Mon at Beach Club. Also, Disney Visa cards are doing a promotion where if you sign up & spend $500 in 3 months, you get a $200 disney gift card which could help pay off some of the trip. Otherwise I've been working pretty much full time during summer & saving about half my check, or as much as I can. Not going out to eat as much, etc.

Hope you get to go!

danyoung56

I have a rude question to ask, and I don't mean to offend anyone but I really don't know. If an 18 year old male (adult) is booking a room for himself and his 17 year old girlfriend, don't you run into the statutory rape laws? Not that the two of you are doing anything wrong, but would the letter of the law cause you trouble?

becca_

I have a rude question to ask, and I don't mean to offend anyone but I really don't know. If an 18 year old male (adult) is booking a room for himself and his 17 year old girlfriend, don't you run into the statutory rape laws? Not that the two of you are doing anything wrong, but would the letter of the law cause you trouble?
Wouldn't it depend on the age of consent in that state? Or no

liz-adam

It looks like that will not be an issue. The Florida statute does not make consenting sexual activity illegal for an 18 or 19 year old male and 17 year old female. It is always good to know, even if nothing is happening, there will not be any question of illegal activity.
794.05 Unlawful sexual activity with certain minors.—
(1) A person 24 years of age or older who engages in sexual activity with a person 16 or 17 years of age commits a felony of the second degree, punishable as provided in s. 775.082, s. 775.083, or s. 775.084.

crxbrett

It definitely is not an issue. Or at least it never used to be. I went to WDW quite a few times when I was only 14-17 with my brother who was only 19-22 at that time.

crxbrett

Forgot to mention this one but I always use my tax refund as my savings for a vacation. Of course that can vary from person to person depending on income and what you claim and if you own or deduct anything. But anything is better than nothing. So if you and your BF each get a $1200 refund this year, save it and use it for WDW. It will help out a lot.

larryz

I'm Just A Tourist!
Premium Member
Also.... any tips on saving up for a Disney vacation? We've been saving a small bit of our paycheck every time but I was wondering if any of you have a good strategy you wanted to share.

Put all your loose change in a change bucket. It adds up fast. Now, for lifestyle hacks that can rack up some $$$ in a hurry:

• Do you smoke? Stop smoking, and put the money you would have spent on tobacco in your change bucket.
  • Do you eat out a lot? Cut back to once a month, and put the money you would have spent on eating out in your change bucket.
  • Are you a Starbucks addict? Try getting your coffee at the Speedway/WaWa/Sheets/Whatever and put the money you save in your change bucket.
  • Do you buy lunch at work? Make a brown bag lunch for work days and put the money you would have spent on lunch in your change bucket.
  • Do you go to the car wash? Stop using the machine and hand wash your car, and put the money you would have spent in your change bucket.
  • Do you spend a lot on texts/phone calls? Switch to an unlimited plan and put the money you save... etc.
  • Do you spend a lot on soft drinks? Switch to water or home-made iced tea and put the money... etc.

Last edited:

DfromATX

Have fun! My step daughter will be going to NYC in December with some girlfriends. She will be 20 by then. She's very excited to go on a vacation without her parents lol (and I can't say I blame her).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom