WED-Dimensional Joyride

MonorailRed

Applebees
Original Poster
animal-kingdom-dinosaur.gif

Welcome to the little wed-dimensional joyride, folks. This thread is to post progress on my big "Pet Project" I've been working on.

Being fans of WDI over the years, we've heard of so many concepts and have seen so much artwork that has never come to be. That being said - I think it'd be entertaining to see these "concepts of the greats" in real-time current environments in the parks.

And if you've ever tracked me on the forum, you know exactly which lost concept I'll be working on... first.

MonorailRed

Applebees
Original Poster
100-0896-1_1_orig.jpg

A four story, 255 ft, show building. This was a big bad behemoth would have housed three attractions, a restaurant, and railroad scenes that would have given Disneyland a run for it’s money.

thunder-mesa_20120502_1225408950.jpg

Let’s take a joyride to when Disney was planning a John Wayne version of Pirates of the Caribbean.​

WREfinal.png

Let's go on the Western River Expedition....​

cdunlap

100-0896-1_1_orig.jpg

A four story, 255 ft, show building. This was a big bad behemoth would have housed three attractions, a restaurant, and railroad scenes that would have given Disneyland a run for it’s money.

View attachment 753333

Let’s take a joyride to when Disney was planning a John Wayne version of Pirates of the Caribbean.​

View attachment 753337
Let's go on the Western River Expedition....​
Is the cliff pueblo just a facade or can guests go in there?

MonorailRed

Applebees
Original Poster
Is the cliff pueblo just a facade or can guests go in there?

Great question!

From the previous documents, it looks like just a facade. However there was an Indian village planned to be at the top of the building, including other features. May have been a weenie to draw people in for that?

On top of that, it does look to cross section the runaway train ride that was planned as well, which could’ve been a fun showscene if it had static AAs similar to DLR’s Rivers or WoM.

Really, with the entirety of the Thunder Mesa complex, Western River Expedition attraction is the most known informationally out of all the projects, just because of how much was already modeled. 🤷‍♀️ There’s some info on the runaway train, and very little on the canoes and restaurant.

MonorailRed

Applebees
Original Poster
While we're discussion the exterior- Let's also talk about how the size would compare to the rest of Magic Kingdom.

magic_kingdom_model_western_river_expedition_thunder_mesa.jpg

A lot of people noticed that it was a massive show building - but very few concept what 255 feet would have done for the Magic Kingdom skyline.

Splash is 87 feet, Cinderella Castle is 189 feet, Space is 183 feet, and Thunder is 197 feet.

In other words, this would have absolutely dominated everything in the park.

Now, going further into that. At the time of Cinderella Castle's construction, any structure taller than 190 feet tall would have required a red, flashing aircraft beacon on top of it.

As time went on that was expanded to 200 feet, but that would still require some sort of strobe light on this structure.

Again, no news on how that would've happened - but what in interesting showpiece challenge to have a red blinking light make sense in Frontierland's story timeline.

Anyone have any thoughts as to how they would thematically pull it off?

cdunlap

While we're discussion the exterior- Let's also talk about how the size would compare to the rest of Magic Kingdom.

magic_kingdom_model_western_river_expedition_thunder_mesa.jpg

A lot of people noticed that it was a massive show building - but very few concept what 255 feet would have done for the Magic Kingdom skyline.

Splash is 87 feet, Cinderella Castle is 189 feet, Space is 183 feet, and Thunder is 197 feet.

In other words, this would have absolutely dominated everything in the park.

Now, going further into that. At the time of Cinderella Castle's construction, any structure taller than 190 feet tall would have required a red, flashing aircraft beacon on top of it.

As time went on that was expanded to 200 feet, but that would still require some sort of strobe light on this structure.

Again, no news on how that would've happened - but what in interesting showpiece challenge to have a red blinking light make sense in Frontierland's story timeline.

Anyone have any thoughts as to how they would thematically pull it off?
I'm more concerned that Haunted Mansion's queue is uncovered and this is FLORIDA!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom