WDWDMagic Forum Culture

_caleb

Original Poster
I regularly see posters in different threads complain about the reception and ongoing treatment they receive here. This seems strange to me, as I’ve been on these forums for a few years now and never felt unwelcome. In an attempt to help folks who have expressed frustration, I’d like to share a couple things I’ve observed (and come to appreciate) about the “culture” of WDWMagic message boards:
  • Most of the people who participate on the boards are fans of the Disney parks. We like Disney enough to spend our free time posting messages about what they are doing, might do, used to do, and what we think they ought to do. In general, fans don’t like it when someone is critical of the thing they like. If you come around being critical of Disney–especially if it sounds like you’re against everything Disney does—you probably won’t make a lot of friends here.
  • On the other side of the coin, because many members here are HUGE fans, they can be quite critical! Some are fans of the good old days of Disney, and don’t care for the Disney’s recent approaches to theming, IP tie-ins, or park management. Don’t let the perceived negativity get you down, and don’t write off everyone as haters. Most opinions here are at least somewhat informed.
  • Many of members here are British. Compared to the U.S., this makes the conversation feel a little more polite, the humor a bit more self-deprecating, and the messages more polite and slightly understated. When someone comes in and behaves (intentionally or not!) in a way that comes across as impolite, arrogant, or overly dramatic, it rubs people the wrong way.
  • Some members here are Disney “insiders“ and know behind-the-scenes info about the parks and company (which has endeared the insiders to the members). Participants enjoy hearing and discussing this info and find it exciting to know what's going on behind the scenes. If you come in as a new member and disagree with an insider who has proven to be a reliable source of information, you’d better be prepared to defend yourself.

A few things I’ve noticed members on these boards to be sensitive to:
  • Stating opinion as fact. That the TRON Lightcycle Run they’re building in WDW is a clone of the TRON coaster in Shanghai is a fact. That Horizons was demolished because of a sinkhole is not a fact. That Dwayne Johnson has no business in the Jungle Cruise regardless of how well the new movie does at the box office is an opinion. To help show that they understand the difference between facts and opinions, thoughtful posters will qualify their comments with phrases like, “In my opinion...” or “It seems to me that...” or even just a simple, “I think...”
  • Bad information. Because the insiders here know things, they’re able to recognize posters who have good information vs. those who don’t. Members who post bad information are not received well here. Those who post already-known info as though it was new info are likewise not going to be well-received.
  • Adding to the conversation. Discussions around here tend to start with "here's some interesting info," and then progress as people add their thoughts, ideas, and opinions. It's okay to agree or disagree with what Disney does or what others think but it's expected that you do so in a way that adds to the conversation. If you rehash the same opinion over and over, or declare your perspective in a way that shows you haven't read the thread or kept up with the conversation, your post isn't going to be seen favorably. It's a good idea to read the threads, give others the benefit of the doubt, and only post if you have something to say that others might find interesting.

My (unsolicited) advice for new (and vexed) WDWMagic members:
  • Take some time to follow the conversations on the boards before jumping in. This will allow you to learn some of these ”cultural” norms and avoid breaking them in a way that affects how others interact with you.
  • Be nice. If you attack other members, harp on your particular pet peeve, or mock those with whom you disagree, you will not be treated warmly. Discussions aren't competitions. If you feel attacked, it's ok to ask if that was the intent. It's ok to apologize when you're wrong and appreciate those with whom you disagree.
  • Ask questions every once in while. It shows you’re interested in what others have to say (the purpose of a message board!), and helps you not come across as a jerk.
  • Find your people. I have no idea how many members this site has, but I’ve discovered that there are lots of little fan groups here: we have sub-fandoms of trains/railroads, parades and fireworks, animation, imagineering, construction, as well as collectors, campers, and CMs/Former CMs. Each group has several interesting conversations happing at any given time.
Sorry this is so long. Please take my advice for what it is- my own perspective based on my experience, presented to try to help others. I really like it here and I want others to like it, too. I’d invite any other members to post their own advice for how to interact well on the boards below in this thread.

Last edited:

_caleb

Original Poster
You talkin' to me? You talkin' to me? ;):cool:🤪🤓😡🤬🤔😬🥴😵

View attachment 422217

Just kidding around... all very good advice. Some can understand that except for a few, we are all fairly faceless fingers on a keyboard. Stay cool.
LOL no! I was not thinking of you when I wrote this! I welcome your perspective. I've seen some of your back-and-forth with others around here. Any other advice you'd give to new members to help them interact well and enjoy the conversation?

Goofyernmost

LOL no! I was not thinking of you when I wrote this! I welcome your perspective. I've seen some of your back-and-forth with others around here. Any other advice you'd give to new members to help them interact well and enjoy the conversation?
Not right now. The only thing off the top of my head is 90% of my hair. I have so much useless debris stuck in the crevices of my brain that it takes 4 men and a crowbar to pry it out. Then when it is out, we find it to be not worth the effort. 🤔🥴

_caleb

Original Poster
Not right now. The only thing off the top of my head is 90% of my hair. I have so much useless debris stuck in the crevices of my brain that it takes 4 men and a crowbar to pry it out. Then when it is out, we find it to be not worth the effort. 🤔🥴
I really do like your avatar, @Goofyernmost! Everyone looks very happy. Maybe some around here would do well to follow your example and select friendlier avatars!

Goofyernmost

I really do like your avatar, @Goofyernmost! Everyone looks very happy. Maybe some around here would do well to follow your example and select friendlier avatars!
Thank you... I play golf once a year with my three adult or close to adult grandkids. We all seem to have a great time. I figure they would have stopped going by now if they were miserable. We have done this for at least the last 5 years. I am very lucky that my grandkids don't consider me a doddering old fool... yet!
Or at least have the kindness not to say it out loud. 🙂

macefamily

I totally agree with your comments. I once stated an opinion and a super-user with 20,000+ posts jumped on me. It was a very sarcastic post. I ended there and didn't reply. Seemed like they were picking a fight.

_caleb

Original Poster
A few more things I’d add:
  • You don’t have to answer someone if you don’t want to—even if they are asking you a specific question.
  • It’s ok to like the things you like! Not everyone will share your opinions. That’s sort of the point of a disscussion board—to discuss things!
  • The monster threads (thousands of pages of posts) tend to produce repeating patterns. As people jump in, they post arguments and ideas that others have already posted. Just when you think something has been discussed to death, someone will jump in and start the whole debate over again.
  • Speaking of debates, there are several points of contention that frequently pop up regardless of a thread’s topic. Among them:
    • Is Splash Mountain racist?
    • Should Disney add exposed-track roller coasters?
    • Is ”edutainment” dead?
    • Who on these boards is part of an organized marketing effort?
    • Should Disney change old attractions?
  • A couple beehives you don’t want to poke:
    • Members who hang out on the Disneyland boards like to be sarcastic and negative. Most of them have season passes and go to Disneyland all the time.
    • Figment (the dragon mascot from Imagination). Sacred to lots of people.
    • Classic Epcot. It’s not the park it once was, and some people will never be ok with that.
    • There is a clickbaity Disney um, news site that we don’t mention or link to around here. They steal a lot of news from posters here and they often just make stuff up.
In general, this a great place to spend time and to discuss all things Disney. Warning: it will draw you in and make you come back for more!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom