WDW in August??

PhilharMagician

I am thinking of going for about 1 1/2 weeks at the end of August in 2005.

Can anyone tell me what the crowds are like? :confused:

I know the temps are high and you have to worry about hurricanes, but kids are not in school and can allow us to spend more time at the world. I am a little hesitant after this year, but I am going to go with the odds here and expecting next year to be much milder as hurricanes go. Also with the hot weather will be able to spend lots of time in the water parks.

tigsmom

We usually head down the second & third weeks of August. Its hot, its still rather crowded and it rains every afternoon. The thunder storms usually pass quickly, but we have lost parades & fireworks because of them. The Water Parks fill in less than an hour so you had better be there before opening. They will tell you to come back after 2 pm, but we just never did. Used the pool at the resort instead. :wave:

Upvote 0

Tim S.

Because of family schedules we've never been at Disney in any other month BUT August.

Yes, it's hot and there can be hurricanes (don't assume that next year will be less active, we're probably heading into a more active cycle) but we have found that the crowds are bearable (esspecially later in August) and the summer park hours are nice. It may rain an hour two each late-afternoon, but that's to be expected.

If I were to pick an ideal time for an August trip it would be the last week of summer hours. That is usually when you have the best mix of longer hours and thinning crowds.

Upvote 0

loading890

We went from August 21st-August 28th. The heat was really bad, but overall the crowds were ok. Missions Space was 20 minutes during the afternoon, Peterpan had a constant60 minute wait, but was a walkon after 7:30. Splash had a long wait in the afternoon, but in the evening was only 15 minutes. Everyother ride was minimal waits. Overall I think itsa good time to good time to go, just expect the heat and prepare for it, and you should be ok.

Upvote 0

Number_6

I love going down the end of August. I haven't dealt with really bad crowds during the times I've gone down that last week. Last year we went at the end of August and walked onto ToT. We've had a great time going down then. We also walked onto Buzz, Mission:Space and PotC as well. Everything else was a negligable wait, 30 minutes or less. Even the Great Movie Ride was only about 10 minutes and they were having people enter throught the doors that go directly into the queue are that has the props from Star Wars, Mary Poppins and Indiana Jones, which most other times for me end up as 20 minutes just to get to that point.

Upvote 0

swimmom

We went the third week in August in 1999. The crowds were not bad. Most attractions had short waits, but some were longer. We never even bothered with Fast Pass, we would just come back later and usually the line was shorter. We stayed at Wilderness Lodge, and it wasn't very crowded at the resort pool. We never attempted a waterpark mostly because of the heat. We knew the waterparks would be crowded and it was too much effort to get to the park when the resort pool was mostly empty and right there. The only complaint I had with that time of year, was heat. The heat index was around 100 degrees every day when we were there. The rain every afternoon was bothersome, but we made the best of it. I didn't even buy rain ponchos. We would go to indoor attractions, and if we had to make a run for another attraction before the rain stopped, it actually felt good to cool off a little. My personal preference is to go during a cooler time of year, but if I had to go in August again, it would be toward the end of the month.

Upvote 0

PhilharMagician

Original Poster
Thanks for all the info. :wave:

I was planning for the last week of August and into the first week of September. I want to get out of there before Labor day weekend. It has to get crowded for the long weekend.

Upvote 0

saltmom1

We just went down Aug 23 - Sept 2. The crowds were pretty light. As long as we did the Fastpass rides first, the average wait was about 15 minutes. We only used 1 Fastpass- Millionaire in MGM. A lot of kids are back in school then - both the South and the Midwest- and many others are getting ready to go back. It was a great week to go and I'd go again at that time.

Upvote 0

Agent1964fem

I have to agree with the other people who put in their input. Its hot in August and you have to worry about hurricanes. :D It works out better for us because our kids start school the end of August .
We had alot of rain when we were down but most of the attractions are indoors.
Hey we are going again in August of 2005 ! Probably the 1-5. Have fun and enjoy yourself ! Its Disney!!

Upvote 0

Nicole

We were at WDW this year the last week of August. The crowds were bigger than I'd expected and it was HOT. But it was still really really fun. I was glad we went. Take an umbrella and a bottle of water, and schedule pool breaks into your day!

Upvote 0

chucknstuff

We go the first full week of august everytime we go..The rain starts around 230pm and ends around 330pm/4pm. The crowds are there (30-45min wait). Test track always rus out of Fast Passes early...But we usually do the single rider line (me, wife, son) still about a 45min wait. I would strongly recomend you buy a spray bottle fan or personal air conditioner cause the heat/humidity will get you. We did the parks from left to right and was able to do everything at MK in one day, MGM and AK in one day together, Epcot in one day. leaving us 4 days for shopping and doing whatever we wanted to do (Disneyquest, fantasia gardens, water parks).

Hope this helps....

Upvote 0

chucknstuff

microconn said:
A little off topic but what is a personal air conditioner?

Regs,

CJ

i got one at sharper immage. It is a battery powered cooling unit that goes around your neck, it looks like a set of stereo headphones and it works great. I got mine for about $40.00

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom