WDW Attendance Down 6%

pheneix

Original Poster
Just heard on the conference call that WDW's attendance resortwide is down 6% for the 3rd quarter (they were down 6% for the 2nd quarter and 28% for the 1st quarter). Resort bookings for Q4 are down 10%. Disney has also warned that Q4 will also be down.

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
As much as I would love to see those numbers up, I am going in December and hope there aren't too many people. Friends of mine went when barely anybody was going to the parks and they basically had the parks to themselves which was kind of cool since they got to ride Splash Mountain three times in a row without getting off.

inlovewithWDW

I just saw this on money.cnn.com:

Disney 3Q falls, warns on 4Q

Entertainment conglomerate sees decline in 4Q rather than forecasted gain; edges 3Q estimates.
August 1, 2002: 4:40 PM EDT

NEW YORK (CNN/Money) - Walt Disney Co. reported a sharp drop in fiscal third-quarter earnings that met past Wall Street expectations for the period, and it warned on current-period results.

The entertainment conglomerate earned $343 million, or 17 cents a share, excluding special items in the period ended June 30. That was inline with the consensus forecast of analysts surveyed by earnings tracker First Call, and down from an adjusted $610 million, or 29 cents a share, that it earned on that basis in the year earlier period.

Including special items the company reported net income of $364 million, or 18 cents a share, down from an adjusted $527 million, or 25 cents a share, a year earlier.

The company, which owns broadcaster ABC, cable network ESPN as well as its movie studios and theme parks, saw revenue fall about 3 pecent to $5.8 billion from just under $6.0 billion a year earlier. That put it below First Call's revenue forecast of $5.9 billion.

The company said that softness in the travel industry specifically and in the overall economy leads it to believe fiscal fourth-quarter results will be below the year-earlier EPS of 13 cents. First Call's forecast had called for EPS to rise to 16 cents, with a range of estimates from 12 to 20 cents.

Shares of Disney (DIS: Research, Estimates), the last component of the Dow Jones industrial average to report results for a period ending in June, lost 90 cents to close regular trading Thursday at $16.83

not a good sign for Disney, but we know they will pull through!

disneydudette

Its funny...they may say that...but for some reason it still seems like the parks are getting a good crowds...now I would agree that resort attendence is down...but we went in December and may after 9/11 and the parks were at the max at each time....so u never kno...hopefully at late august they'll be down....

jmarc63

Originally posted by disneydudette
Its funny...they may say that...but for some reason it still seems like the parks are getting a good crowds...now I would agree that resort attendence is down...but we went in December and may after 9/11 and the parks were at the max at each time....so u never kno...hopefully at late august they'll be down....

Well like it has been said before the parks maybe crowded instead of extreamly crowed, It is all relative 18,000 instead of 20,000 per day.

MickeyMoose15

Account Suspended
The only park apparently not raising attendance is Disney's California Adventure which has always had a problem with attracting people to the park.

bigdaddy0055

I went the first week of April, and on of the days they stopped letting people into the Magic Kingdom because it had reached capacity. The next day Splash Mountain had a 2 hour wait, and Spaceship Earth which never as a line had a fifteen minute wait. I certainly didn't experience any shortages in people. I hope in September it is a little slower so I can enjoy myself better

foxfire

Sep. usually isn't too bad. I found one of the best times to go is 1-2 weeks before X-Mas. Hardly any lines at all and the weather is perfect. Though one year I was there during that time and it was 30-35 degrees (yes, 30-35).

kwt10

I have been to WDW many times and the crown when we went in July was down some but not much different than any other trip. There were lines for all rides and LONG lines for the major stuff. The main way that we could tell a difference was when we were just walking around. Some of our trips you could not move around very easy but this trip it was not that bad. I do think the crowds will pick back up and the parks will be just fine.

Pumbas Nakasak

Heading for the great escape.
I read in one article that Disney Parks claimed one of the problems was increased costs in promoting itself, funny then that ABC has reported its biggest problem is declining revenew from advertising.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom