WDAS and Pixar Needs To Step Up Or It’s The End Of Them

TsWade2

Original Poster
Hi,
I found this article about Pixar and WDAS lost it’s magic and hand drawn animation is dawning: https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/pixar-lost-magic-golden-age-090000453.html and to be honest, that journalist who wrote this article has a good point. Pixar and WDAS needs to step up their game or it’s (I’m so sorry and I really hate to say this, but) the end of them!😢 Disney needs to either make a hand drawn animation film or another hybrid film. And Pixar needs to try something different with their CGI. I know they’re doing sequels and they will most likely be a box office success, but whenever they do something original, they need to try harder with their animation. Yes, WDAS did a a hybrid film with Wish and I really do love that film, but sadly, the critics and people hate the watercolor style. The watercolor style is a good try, but WDAS needs to try harder to make their hybrid films more spectacularly artful. Like why not try it with Meander animation like they did with Paperman and Feast. Or try it in Klaus style. Like I said, Disney needs to get out of this third dark age or it’ll they’ll be in jeopardy.😢

Last edited:

BrianLo

The company has survived two 10-ish movie financial slumps before, with a couple of highlights in those runs like Lilo or Jungle Book.

What they aren’t at risk for is any financial ruin. The company isn’t hanging on by a knifes edge financially. The studios are still and even more so at the heart of their creative flywheel.

You are at worse 4 movies into a slump for WDAS with ‘Encanto’ perhaps being a stitch. There’s a long-long runway of failures this company will and can absorb.

I don’t even think Pixar is in a slump…. It just sacrificed four movies to the streaming gods.

TsWade2

Original Poster
The company has survived two 10-ish movie financial slumps before, with a couple of highlights in those runs like Lilo or Jungle Book.

What they aren’t at risk for is any financial ruin. The company isn’t hanging on by a knifes edge financially. The studios are still and even more so at the heart of their creative flywheel.

You are at worse 4 movies into a slump for WDAS with ‘Encanto’ perhaps being a stitch. There’s a long-long runway of failures this company will and can absorb.

I don’t even think Pixar is in a slump…. It just sacrificed four movies to the streaming gods.
I still want Disney and Pixar to do better, but thanks for the reassurance.

BrianLo

I still want Disney and Pixar to do better, but thanks for the reassurance.

No problem. No need to panic, inside Out 2 seems fine and I’d be very surprised if Moana 2 fails to do well. That kind of turns the conversation on its head about what sort of ‘era’ we’re actually in.

That era is probably more akin to the immediate post renaissance rather than the 2000’s.

Farerb

Klaus is a hand drawn film.

I think it's more likely that they'll merge the two studios rather than shut them down completely. Personally I think WDAS should be merged into Pixar since they have already pretty much become Pixar 2.0 since Wreck-it Ralph, and it seems that they've just painted themselves into a corner with Wish. But some people believe that Pixar should be merged into WDAS and their campus should be turned into a homeless shelter.

erasure fan1

I've been tough on both studios for sure. And while I agree that they need to step up their game. I don't think it's anywhere near "the end". They've had some bad films but for me, most have been just meh, not good, not bad. In my opinion If we go back to 2017, that was Pixars last fantastic film. Then they had a couple real stinkers in Incredibles 2 and light-year. A couple sub par in toy story 4 and turning red. The rest, onward, soul, luca and elemental, all ok. With Luca being the one I liked most.

WDAS has been more problematic in my opinion. In that same time frame, nothing really stuck with me. I'll give them Frozen and encanto even though I wasn't a fan. Raya was meh, and Ralph, strange world and wish were just bad. All that said, I still think it won't take all that much to get back on track.

TsWade2

Original Poster
Klaus is a hand drawn film.

I think it's more likely that they'll merge the two studios rather than shut them down completely. Personally I think WDAS should be merged into Pixar since they have already pretty much become Pixar 2.0 since Wreck-it Ralph, and it seems that they've just painted themselves into a corner with Wish. But some people believe that Pixar should be merged into WDAS and their campus should be turned into a homeless shelter.
Not happening. You’re from that terrible hateful website.

TsWade2

Original Poster
Anyway, while Pixar and WDAS doing sequels may most likely become office successes, they need to step up their game. While Wish using watercolor style is a good start, but sadly nobody likes it, so maybe they should try something else with their CGI, something like Paperman and Feast. Or in Spiderverse style. Or maybe (if possible) in Klaus style. As or Pixar, as much I know that Pixar can't risk doing a hand drawn film, why not make their CGI into more a......well, painterly like. Besides, thet could make their CGI more painterly style which will be like from The Wild Robot. My point is while Pixar needs to step up, I also want WDAS to try again with another 2D/3D hybrid film. Isn't that too much too ask?☹️

All that said, I still think it won't take all that much to get back on track.
What do you mean?

Last edited:

WoundedDreamer

Pixar has a trump card right now. Bob Iger. Bob Iger is not going to be the CEO who shutters Pixar. He bought the thing from Steve Jobs. He promised it would remain intact under his leadership. He will absolutely not break that promise. I despise Bob Iger and think he's smug individual who cannot admit making mistakes. But I do think his loyalty to Steve Jobs is sincere. He isn't going to break the studio that Jobs helped build. Iger is also good friends with Jobs' widow. She remains a large shareholder of The Walt Disney Company and recently backed Iger in his proxy fight. Shuttering Pixar would earn her ire. It would also be humiliating for Iger and his legacy to see Pixar, what was once one of his greatest acquisitions, be merged into Walt Disney Animation.

So, Pixar is bullet proof for as long as Iger stays.

But I think Iger and Pixar's leadership team realize that a future CEO and board of directors might not be as sentimental about Pixar. Pixar's expensive creation process could be streamlined and shipped overseas. Its autonomy could be eliminated. It could even be phased out. Moving Pixar from Emeryville is essentially Pixar's functional death sentence. Pixar and Emeryville/California are one in the same. Pixar's whole identity is rooted in its headquarters and geography. It would be like moving the Boston Red Sox or the Dallas Cowboys to Asia. The Steve Jobs building is the home of Pixar. If Pixar moves out, Pixar is over.

One key element of Pixar's culture is collaboration. Having every animator account and reachable within a few minutes walk is not a luxury for Pixar. It defines Pixar. I would not be surprised at all if Pixar's staff were enraged by the opening of the Canadian location back in the day. It's also why the location got shuttered so rapidly.

Pixar needs to be fixed ASAP. Pixar can exist and thrive as an independent of entity. But it has to bring in enough money to offset the process of the Emeryville employees.

Last edited:

TsWade2

Original Poster
Pixar has a trump card right now. Bob Iger. Bob Iger is not going to be the CEO who shutters Pixar. He bought the thing from Steve Jobs. He promised it would remain intact under his leadership. He will absolutely not break that promise. I despise Bob Iger and think he's smug individual who cannot admit making mistakes. But I do think his loyalty to Steve Jobs is sincere. He isn't going to break the studio that Jobs helped build. Iger is also good friends with Jobs' widow. She remains a large shareholder of The Walt Disney Company and recently backed Iger in his proxy fight. Shuttering Pixar would earn her ire. It would also be humiliating for Iger and his legacy to see Pixar, what was once one of his greatest acquisitions, be merged into Walt Disney Animation.

So, Pixar is bullet proof for as long as Iger stays.

But I think Iger and Pixar's leadership team realize that a future CEO and board of directors might not be as sentimental about Pixar. Pixar's expensive creation process could be streamlined and shipped overseas. Its autonomy could be eliminated. It could even be phased out. Moving Pixar from Emeryville is essentially Pixar's functional death sentence. Pixar and Emeryville/California are one in the same. Pixar's whole identity is rooted in its headquarters and geography. It would be like moving the Boston Red Sox or the Dallas Cowboys to Asia. The Steve Jobs building is the home of Pixar. If Pixar moves out, Pixar is over.

One key element of Pixar's culture is collaboration. Having every animator account and reachable within a few minutes walk is not a luxury for Pixar. It defines Pixar. I would not be surprised at all if Pixar's staff were enraged by the opening of the Canadian location back in the day. It's also why the location got shuttered so rapidly.

Pixar needs to be fixed ASAP. Pixar can exist and thrive as an independent of entity. But it has to bring in enough money to offset the process of the Emeryville employees.
I appreciate of the reassurance, thanks. But still, Disney Animation and Pixar needs to step up to game change their animation. Of course, I’ve heard Jennifer Lee the COO of Disney Animation says that WDAS has 7 originals in the works and so does Pixar, so I think that helps. But whatever the original films are, they need try again using a 2D/3D hybrid animated film and this time make a good and better story. And no political stuff.

Last edited:

CinematicFusion

I appreciate of the reassurance, thanks. But still, Disney Animation and Pixar needs to step up to game change their animation. Of course, I’ve heard Jennifer Lee the COO of Disney Animation says that WDAS has 7 originals in the work and so does Pixar, so I think that helps. But whatever the original films are, they need try again using a 2D/3D hybrid animated film and this time make a good and better story. And no political stuff.
A return to compelling storytelling, rich character development, and innovative animation techniques could help recapture the magic that has long been associated with Disney.
Engaging, human-centered stories have a timeless appeal and can attract a broad audience.
First up is Inside Out 2…

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom