News Water Park Weather Closures 2023 and Early 2024

Saskdw

My weather app shows a high of 70 Thursday and 71 Friday.

Where I'm from this is not a cold front!! 🤣 Clearly shorts weather.

So I guess Canadians aren't allowed to swim this weekend.

JenniferS

Time To Be Movin’ Along
Premium Member

My app is showing 69° and 65° (21°C and 18°C) with cloudy conditions. As a fellow hearty Canadian, that is definitely shorts weather, but there is zero chance I’m swimming in that. Especially not under cloudy skies.

Given the holiday crowds, I’m sure they’d like to have one more park open to disperse the people.

Saskdw

My app is showing 69° and 65° (21°C and 18°C) with cloudy conditions. As a fellow hearty Canadian, that is definitely shorts weather, but there is zero chance I’m swimming in that. Especially not under cloudy skies.

Given the holiday crowds, I’m sure they’d like to have one more park open to disperse the people.
We spent the day at Volcano Bay last December with a high of 21C.

Had a great time.

Lilofan

WDW water parks and resort pools are heated year round at 81 degrees

Comped

I'd happily go to a water park in those conditions. Way less people, so more room for me in the lazy (or not so lazy at Aquatica) river!

Brian

Nice try. But they've been closing the H20 parks for cold weather for years. Take the tin foil off your head.
Not only that, but the CMs who were scheduled to work at their normal water park are then deployed to other areas for the day, so there's no labor hour savings.

KDM31091

Poor Blizzard Beach. It's already been closed most of 2023 and a large chunk of 2022, and now it is closing left and right for weather. Why can't they ever open it during the summer?

Touchdown

High temps Tuesday are 59 degrees and 64 degrees Wed. This Wisconsinite wouldn’t step foot in a waterpark on a day where highs are less then 70. Ditto for doing any water rides likely to get you soaked (Kali, Popeyes, Dudley, DL Splash, Grizzly, Infinity Falls) and would only ride the light water rides (WDW Splash, Journey to Atlantis, JP River Adv) in a seat unlikely to get wet with that weather.

jeanericuser001

High temps Tuesday are 59 degrees and 64 degrees Wed. This Wisconsinite wouldn’t step foot in a waterpark on a day where highs are less then 70. Ditto for doing any water rides likely to get you soaked (Kali, Popeyes, Dudley, DL Splash, Grizzly, Infinity Falls) and would only ride the light water rides (WDW Splash, Journey to Atlantis, JP River Adv) in a seat unlikely to get wet with that weather.
There is one thing to note. During the winter time the theme parks reduce the water levels so the odds of getting wet are reduced. Some rides just shut down altogether during these periods as its the best time for long term maintenance projects can be carried out with minimal effect on crowd dispersal. This is also a good time to make note of which parks heat their water. Aquatica on some days heats their water so some rides can actually be quite enjoyable during those days. Disney sadly does not heat their water so unless there is a lot of sun the water is gonna stay colder than the drinking water in your fridge. They do keep the parks open because some people go there just to relax away from the crowds to read books, visit the bars, enjoy the scenery, and maybe soak their feet in the water. Some even setup movie screens so the kids can watch a movie while the adults read a book or get sloshed at the bar.

Lilofan

There is one thing to note. During the winter time the theme parks reduce the water levels so the odds of getting wet are reduced. Some rides just shut down altogether during these periods as its the best time for long term maintenance projects can be carried out with minimal effect on crowd dispersal. This is also a good time to make note of which parks heat their water. Aquatica on some days heats their water so some rides can actually be quite enjoyable during those days. Disney sadly does not heat their water so unless there is a lot of sun the water is gonna stay colder than the drinking water in your fridge. They do keep the parks open because some people go there just to relax away from the crowds to read books, visit the bars, enjoy the scenery, and maybe soak their feet in the water. Some even setup movie screens so the kids can watch a movie while the adults read a book or get sloshed at the bar.
That is incorrect. WDW Water park and resort swimming pools are heated year round to 81 degrees.

jeanericuser001

That is incorrect. WDW Water park and resort swimming pools are heated year round to 81 degrees.
I wish that were true but all they can do is try to heat it at least. The problem is the heating technology can only go so far when you have that much water volume so its constantly a battle that is not always lost but not always won especially on cloudy days where there is less sun to help warm up the water. That is why they close the parks because they know they can not warm up that water no matter how hard they try. Even then they also do not want to get the water too warm either as warmer water has a detrimental effect on chlorine compared to cold water. That is why disney closes their parks entirely during these days in order to save on the cost of heating the water and even then they do not want to spend too much on heating that much volume so its not really that warm. I know this because I have occasionally done trips to both aquatica and the disney water parks so I know for certain who is warmer. Aquatica definitely is warmer where is disney tends to be a lot colder especially blizzard beach.

Last edited:

Ayla

This Wisconsinite would.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom