Watching a space shuttle launch from WDW

kar888

Original Poster
My husband, son, and I are going to be in WDW when the Space Shuttle is going to be launched in November. Does anyone know of a great place to watch it in WDW?

tahqa

Epcot :ROFLOL:

Honestly, it's pretty much the same view from anywhere in WDW as long as your view of the eastern sky isn't obstructed. Also, keep in mind that just because a launch is scheduled for a particular date and time it doesn't mean that it will actually happen on schedule.

HouCuseChickie

Yeah- unfortunately, shuttle launches are scrubbed all the time. For that reason, I've rarely gone out of my way to see it. I prefer Cocoa Beach for launches (spectacular!!!), but I've seen it as far west as the coastal St. Pete area and it's still pretty neat. If you happen to be there when the shuttle returns (assuming it launches) - be ready for the double sonic boom. It used to scare the heck out of me.

muteki

Ended up leaving a day early our last trip to catch the last night liftoff (hey it was a good excuse). Watched it from the parking lot between All Star Sports and Music, it was pretty amazing seeing everything lit up at night. I am sure there are better places, but anything with a fairly unobstructed view of the eastern sky should do it. I imagine GF beach or Contemporary on the Bay Lake side would be great.

raven

Last Friday morning they launched a satelite around 7am and I was able to see it from the Epcot cast lot after working in Mission:Space all night.

Dj Corona

I guess it was about 3 years ago, we were leaving out of Riverside by taxi to the airport, and our cabbie was a definite NASA fan! (Had his radio tuned into the countdown and the whole nine yards).....He took a slightly alternative route, pulled off to the shoulder, and even turned off the meter, so we all could see one of the launches from the best view possible! It's a pretty cool thing to get to witness, if you ever get a chance, even from as far away as Disney. Nice way to end a vacation, before having to totally come back to reality.

graphite1326

I was in EPCOT and an announcement came over the PA system that the launch was taking place. Unfortunatley, I wasn't in a place that you could see it.

wbc

Here is a picture my sister took. I think she in MK looking at the street lamps.

I was at The Boardwalk at the same time, and it looked identical.

IMG_2555.JPG

wendysmom

We were actually on the Kilamajaro Safari ride in AK and saw one! The driver stopped and let us all snap pics of it. You really can't plan for it, though. We've been waiting past years with our cameras posed, only to find out the mission had been scrubbed. Good luck with getting your pictures! :wave:

wendysue

We watched the last night shuttle launch earlier this year from Pop Century. We watched from the 50's building, closest to the food court building, top floor, facing EAST towards the parking lot.
It was an excellent spot. Got some really great pictures. After several minutes the sound wave came over us, and that was cool. I'm sure there are many other great spots around the parks if you are not near Pop.

C&D

Saw one from the Magic Kingdom; we were in front of the Crystal Palace. Visable looking towads Tomorrow Land.

kverdon

My wife and I once saw one in the late 90's, (it was Columbia :( )from the International Gateway bridge between England and France in EPCOT. It came right up behind China riding a ball of fire and column of smoke. We could even hear the rumble. It was spectacular! I could even see the SRB's detach with my binocs. We tried to catch another one last year from Rose and Crown but we could not see anything. It appears to matter what direction they launch in and you need a clear day without any clouds.

thanks,

Kevina and Mona

ssnyder4

If you have the chance to watch a launch I would certainly recommend it. There are currently only 2 remaining flights for the shuttle program. I will be in Mission Control in Houston for the final 2...which is awesome, but it means that I won't be at the Cape...From anywhere in the Orlando area you will need to look East...I have seen awesome pictures with the shuttle over Cinderella Castle as well as from Epcot. If you have a car and feel like taking a break from the parks I would certainly drive toward the Cape. It's one of the most amazing things that you will get a chance to see and it's almost over and who knows when the US will launch another manned vehicle! I'll be keeping my fingers crossed for an on-time launch for you and your family as well as a safe journey for the crew!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom