Warning, its NAMM week in Anaheim

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
For those who don't know, The NAMM Show is taking place this week and weekend. The show, which deals with the Music Industry, is the largest Convention on the West Coast. Not open to the public, but still brings in over 100,000 folks, and takes over many things besides the Convention Center.

Hotels, Restaurants, and other facilities. Both the Anaheim GardenWalk and Downtown Disney is heavily impacted, with many restaurants fully rented out to companies hosting private events. Also, Disneyland and DCA hosts some private events in the evening. Also, the DLR Conventions rooms also are booked by Music related companies.

The area is a large mess, and if you can avoid visiting the DLR this week, you will thank yourself. Kinda like those DirecTV commercials that describe Cable TV users... (Wait, I am a happy Cable TV (And Internet and phone) customer...)

https://www.namm.org/2018-expansion

Jedi Stitch

https://www.ocregister.com/2018/01/...t-major-music-industry-convention-in-anaheim/

>>
Hard data isn’t yet available, but Visit Anaheim provided the city with projections showing that January events at the convention center would draw about 113,000 visitors and account for nearly 60,000 hotel nights booked. That could pump an estimated $89 million into the city’s economy, city spokesman Mike Lyster said.<<
My Neice used to be a part of NAMM. My brothers wife would cart her around from town to town doing the local pageants. She was trying really hard to go to the state level so she could do the National at DLR. Apparently she wasn't Caddy enough to make the higher levels. Now she is both a County Sheriff explorer and Fire Fighter Explorer. She is deciding on either of the two for a career.

Darkbeer1

Original Poster
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/NAMM_Show

>>The NAMM Show is an annual event in the US that its organizers describe as "the world’s largest trade-only event for the music products industry".[2] It is held every January in Anaheim, California, US at the Anaheim Convention Center, and is one of the two largest music product trade shows in the world. Its European counterpart is the Musik Messe in Frankfurt. The event attracts numerous famous musicians, many of whom are endorsed by exhibitors and come to promote their own signature models and equipment.
NAMM is a trade-only business show catering to domestic and international dealers and distributors. The product exhibits are an integral part of the show, allowing the dealers and distributors to see what's new, negotiate deals and plan their purchasing for the next 6 to 12 months. Only employees and guests of the exhibiting manufacturers and/or NAMM member retailers and distributors are allowed to attend, along with credentialed members of the press. Exhibitors are allotted a specific number of badges based on the size of their booth. Retail Members are allowed a certain number of badges based on their full-time employees.
Founded in 1901, "NAMM" stands for the National Association of Music Merchants, although, since its inception, NAMM has evolved from a national retail association into an international association whose members now include commercial companies, distributors, affiliates and manufacturers.<<

Angel Ariel

Interesting..we are here now and yesterday''s crowds were so light! We didn't wait more than 15 min for anything, only.used 3 fPs, and most things were a walk on or nearly so. I always expect it to be more crowded on the weekend, ao I don't expect it to continue, but it was awesome yesterday

crxbrett

Interesting..we are here now and yesterday''s crowds were so light! We didn't wait more than 15 min for anything, only.used 3 fPs, and most things were a walk on or nearly so. I always expect it to be more crowded on the weekend, ao I don't expect it to continue, but it was awesome yesterday

Sometimes the conventions actually make the crowds lighter at the park. I went to DL this past summer on the Sat of D23 and was bracing for the worst. Shockingly it was completely dead! Like empty! I think my longest wait for the entire day was 20 min for Peter Pan's Flight. Everything else was a walk-on or 5-15 min at the most. I did use FP and single rider for a few that may have been 30 or so (RSR, the Matterhorn).

Phroobar

We, being the Internet, purposely tell people to stay away during major events so we can have the parks to ourselves. As you can see, it works.

TP2000

Sometimes the conventions actually make the crowds lighter at the park. I went to DL this past summer on the Sat of D23 and was bracing for the worst. Shockingly it was completely dead! Like empty! I think my longest wait for the entire day was 20 min for Peter Pan's Flight. Everything else was a walk-on or 5-15 min at the most. I did use FP and single rider for a few that may have been 30 or so (RSR, the Matterhorn).

Saturdays in summer are always the slowest day of the week, and are generally the slowest weekends of the entire year. You can thank the AP blockout calendar for that. I'm sure being D23 Expo weekend only amplified that effect, but Saturdays in July are always the best day to go and have been that way for a decade or so.

TP2000

You can always tell its NAMM weekend because everyone walking around the Resort District is wearing all black. Like seriously, they only wear the color black. It was that way 10 or 15 years ago when NAMM became a big deal, and it's still that way in 2018.

Fashion changes come and go, styles evolve, jeans go from wide-legged to skinny, hemlines rise and fall and lapels and neckties widen and narrow, but NAMM attendees always wear the same all-black outfit. They look really boring and dreary, too.

Stevek

My friend is a CM and he said this week was surprisingly uncrowded.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom