War, Bad Economy, SARS, Airline Problems...

ReDefined

Original Poster
With all the bad things going on in society these days, I find it hard to think about taking a trip to Disney World. Enjoying myself seems to be the last thing on my and most everyone else’s mind.

Why should I spend 4 to 6 thousand on a trip when the economy will get worse, there will be retaliations from the war, airline prices increase due to the economy and fuel prices, and people are dying from an un-identified disease?

I love Disney World and have spent some of my favorite times there... but I just don’t think that the Disney environment can shield me from everything else that is going on in the world.

In any case I would rather lay on a beach in the Caribbean; relax and reflect than watch a parade and buy a couple snow globes and mugs. Besides, other resorts are offering better deals than Disney anyway...

What is your take?

SpongeScott

With all the bad things going on in the world, I find it refreshing to step away from it all and GO to WDW. All we hear is war, terrorism, economy, health issues, bankruptcies, etc. and it's nice to step away from reality every now and then. You choose to do it on the beach, I choose to do it at Disney. At least that's one less person not in line in front of me! You and I simply choose to deal with "life decompression" in different ways right now.

Nansafan

It sounds as if you want people to justify going to WDW. I believe you should do what you want with your vacation dollars. I was a young child during Viet Nam and that didn't stop my parents from taking us on vacation. I choose WDW because of everything you said. Not spending money messes with the economy. If there are people flying, then the airlines may be able to rebound. I'm not letting a war or disease stop me from vacationing. I work hard all year for my vacation and I'm taking it. WDW in June and Vegas in August.

disneydudette

Sometimes I wonder when the next trip will be....or will there even by a next trip....my moms is worried that dad will lose his job...and dads worried about mom losing her job....and then to add on to that...they got stuck with the 5 kids....2 in college....the others on thier way....
We even have older step-siblings in Irag right now....

In these times....few can pay the 300+ to stay at a GF.....and most don't want to pay the 70+ for an AS.....so where does it end....
For people like my family....it doesn't....we'll scrape up the money to get to FL....and WDW.....not because we can....(cause we really can't).....but because....
That's where my little brother lost his first tooth....
That's Where I rode my first coaster....
Where my mom cried watching her little kids on the curb watching the parade....
Where my dad cried watching our faces light up during the fireworks....
Where me and my older brother creid watching the youngest of our pack meet Mickey for the first time

This is what Disney is to us....thier like our own little scrap book...of some of the best memories...now that we're getting older.....we need those memories....especially in these times....

So we'll fly...and buy....and we'll tell others to too....

I find it extremely hard to believe the airlines are losing money. Becuase 2 airlines are losing money, it somehow translates into all of them are??? Every flight i have been on in the past month, has been jam packed... As for everything else...if you spend money, the economy gets better, and in reality, its not that bad, we have known a recession was coming, so why do we act as though this is a new thing. Recessions are part of the economic life cycle, in a year or less, it will go back up. We act as though we have it bad, tell that to someone who grew up during the great depression.

As for the war and terrorism...as bad as I am going to sound, this is all part of life. People die everyday, f you go day to day, worried about being mugged, or terrorism, then what is the point of living? Don't let things hold you back from experiencing happiness. What better place on earth is there to experience happiness with your family anyways? Stop worrying, things could be worse...the way I see it how can you have a bad day, if you wake up in the morning?

bailey5697

Originally posted by ReDefined

I love Disney World and have spent some of my favorite times there... but I just don’t think that the Disney environment can shield me from everything else that is going on in the world.

What is your take?

See, and I'm counting on it.
WOW, LOL, Your post is a real bummer for someone who has already PAID their thousands of dollars and is leaving in less than 3 weeks! :lol:

My take is that I am still bringing my daughter and my niece to the happiest place on Earth for their very first time. The excitment in that is HUGE, and it is carrying me through.
When we considered altering plans (With all that you mentioned,) we decided to "Stay the Course" and proceed with caution and excitement.
Not to re-hash, but when the War first broke out, there was a lengthy debate/thread on WDW during War times here. It helped me QUITE a bit in making the decisions I have regarding our trip.
So I will go to WDW next month and hope that (as you said) "The Disney environment can shield me from everything else that is going on in the world."

:D

GaryT977

I can't think of a better place to lose your cares and worries than WDW. It will be nice to think about which fastpass to get next for a couple of days instead of war, disease and the economy. As far as I'm concerned, June (my next trip) can't get here fast enuf.

disneyfan20

GET THE PRINTER READY!!!!

:slurp: cudos to all positive responses.
some of you could not have said it any better!!!
I'm making a copy of this forum right now and will look back on it when ever I need a pick me up from the bad times.
just a little note,no body can do that like disney can!!!!!!!!!!!!!

BitO'PixieDust

My family is going to WDW in three months and we wouldn't dream of not going because of any of the above stated reasons. The liberation of Iraq makes me feel proud to be an American and what better place to celebrate what America has to offer than WDW. The economy goes in cycles and will be something we'll deal with forever. If everyone stopped spending the economy would be even worse. SARS is an illness that may or may not effect us at WDW. But you can't stop living and enjoying your life because of these worries or the possibility of terrorism.

This past month has made my family just how blessed we are in the USA and to cherish our family and the good times we have together. We will not stop living because of the "what ifs".

For us, WDW is magical and we sure could use a little magic right now. That doesn't mean we'll forget the reality of life. But what's wrong with taking some time off and having fun?

We intend to keep the economy going by spending our dollars at WDW:sohappy:

curious

We're not going to WDW until Christmas and I can't wait. Everyday I visit different websites to acquire more information about Disney Off The subject if any of you know any good websites i can look at regarding WDW espically resorts PM me
but anyway I say live it up Also the president is thinking about lowering the threat level to yellow (I don't know if this is a good thing or bad). But anyway those who have made their plans don't let nothing hold you back. You only live once!!!!

:sohappy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom