Want to reuse Magicband

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
It used to really simple to deny getting a new Magicband to reuse an old one. I bought a special Magicband this spring and want to reuse it for my upcoming Feb trip. The rest of my family needs Magicbands, though. I've scoured Google and these boards trying to figure out how to deny my new band. I had read your could only do this now through early check-in. I didn't really want to do early check-in, but went ahead so I could deal with denying my band...but when I click on "choose Magicband" it just takes me to disneyworld.com where there is no option to forego a new band. Is this even an option any more? Help!!

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Are you on the app I assume?
Go to the website and log in.
I don't have a current booking so I can't see where the deny option is but it should be there.
If you can't deny for some reason then really who cares? Pick one and be done. And then just use the old one if that is the one you want to use.

Last edited:

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
Are you on the app I assume?
Go to the website and log in.
I don't have a current booking so I can't see where the deny option is but it should be there.
If you can't deny for some reason then really who cares? Pick one and be done. And then just use the old one if that is the one you want to use.
Well I just didn't want a new one I'm not going to use because that seemed really wasteful. And I don't want a ton of MagicBands collecting dust in a drawer.
You were right, I was using the app. So I took your advice and tried the website. But it wasn't much help. So I called Disney to find out if it's even possible to skip out on new MagicBands. The lady told me that I don't have to select anything. When I get to the resort they will give me a plain gray one, but I can tell them I don't want it and they will recycle it.
I told her the rest of my family does need bands, and would that affect them getting theirs if I didn't make a selection? It would. So she said for me to make a selection so everyone else gets theirs, and I could take the one I don't want to the front desk where, again, they can recycle.
I had no idea they even could recycle those, so that makes me feel better about getting one I don't need. Still seems like a waste of resources on Disney's part, but oh well.

Shouldigo12

Maybe I'm just being dumb here, but by recycling couldn't they mean just reusing it for another person? Surely there must be a way to reprogram it so someone else can use it.

Queen of the WDW Scene

In the Parks
No
Maybe I'm just being dumb here, but by recycling couldn't they mean just reusing it for another person? Surely there must be a way to reprogram it so someone else can use it.
Well if OP put their name on it then it could not be reused for someone else.
But to me it's like you're paying for it in the cost of the room and it's a nice little souvenir keepsake so I would not decline or toss it in recycle anyways.

Shouldigo12

Well if OP put their name on it then it could not be reused for someone else.
But to me it's like you're paying for it in the cost of the room and it's a nice little souvenir keepsake so I would not decline or toss it in recycle anyways.
Oh, shoot, I completely forgot about the names. I knew there had to be something I was missing.

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
Oh, shoot, I completely forgot about the names. I knew there had to be something I was missing.
I had wondered about that too, actually. With the names on them, it would certainly be difficult to reuse. But if someone didn't make a selection, and just got a plain gray MB at check-in, then maybe those could be given to someone else? Not sure 🤷

Tuvalu

You can decline the plain gray bands at check in. They are not personalized (unless guest has personalized in advance.) In fact if you don’t select a band and bypass the front desk completely by using online check in/direct to room, you can use prior MBs and never see a plain gray one. (We do this all the time.)

Rob562

I know you said that you had bought a custom Band, and the time you're putting into denying a new one would suggest you're planning on wearing the purchased one every day, but personally I like to have a couple options to choose from. I match what Band I wear to what clothes I'm wearing or what park I'm going to. (Half of my Bands I put decals on I bought online)
Perhaps switching things up might be fun.

-Rob

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
I know you said that you had bought a custom Band, and the time you're putting into denying a new one would suggest you're planning on wearing the purchased one every day, but personally I like to have a couple options to choose from. I match what Band I wear to what clothes I'm wearing or what park I'm going to. (Half of my Bands I put decals on I bought online)
Perhaps switching things up might be fun.

-Rob
I can definitely see where you're coming from and know that people do that. But I'm only going to the Disney parks for 2 days. Just doesn't seem worth having multiple bands for only 2 days.
I've gone ahead and ordered a new band, and I guess I'll keep it. Just seems ridiculous that Disney used to give us the option to forego new bands every trip, and now they don't. Especially when I've heard reports that having too many MagicBands assigned to one person can cause issues with unlocking doors and such. And especially since CMs are the only ones who can delete bands off your account entirely (deactivating the band yourself doesn't help apparently). All of this just seems like Disney is making things overcomplicated.

Rob562

I can definitely see where you're coming from and know that people do that. But I'm only going to the Disney parks for 2 days. Just doesn't seem worth having multiple bands for only 2 days.
I've gone ahead and ordered a new band, and I guess I'll keep it. Just seems ridiculous that Disney used to give us the option to forego new bands every trip, and now they don't. Especially when I've heard reports that having too many MagicBands assigned to one person can cause issues with unlocking doors and such. And especially since CMs are the only ones who can delete bands off your account entirely (deactivating the band yourself doesn't help apparently). All of this just seems like Disney is making things overcomplicated.

This is the first I've heard that deactivating doesn't resolve the issues of too many Bands. I'd heard the main sticking point of too many Bands/cards was the door locks, which have a limited memory and can get overwhelmed with too many serial numbers.

-Rob

disneygeek90

I had wondered about that too, actually. With the names on them, it would certainly be difficult to reuse. But if someone didn't make a selection, and just got a plain gray MB at check-in, then maybe those could be given to someone else? Not sure 🤷
It’s possible by “recycling” they just swap out the inside puck? That’s the part with the name. Seems like that would be a decent option to save much of the material for the band itself.

I have 17 active magic bands, all design based, no plain colors, and have never had an issue at the parks. Can’t speak for the hotels as I’m local but magicbands are my substitute for collecting pins. I actually do a pretty good job in making sure all are used. I stopped ordering the free plain bands years ago.

Last edited:

Dizknee_Phreek

Original Poster
This is the first I've heard that deactivating doesn't resolve the issues of too many Bands. I'd heard the main sticking point of too many Bands/cards was the door locks, which have a limited memory and can get overwhelmed with too many serial numbers.

-Rob

My husband was the one that found a forum post (he couldn't remember which forum) about how deactivating didn't work, only deletion. This will only be my 3rd band since 2016, so I don't see me having issues like that. Just an observation of what could be an issue for some people that go far more often than I'm able to.

It’s possible by “recycling” they just swap out the inside puck? That’s the part with the name. Seems like that would be a decent option to save much of the material for the band itself.

I have 17 active magic bands, all design based, no plain colors, and have never had an issue at the parks. Can’t speak for the hotels as I’m local but magicbands are my substitute for collecting pins. I actually do a pretty good job in making sure all are used. I stopped ordering the free plain bands years ago.

I like that idea of recycling...makes sense.
Totally understand the collection aspect. If I lived closer and/or went more often I would probably collect some of the nifty limited edition ones. But I just can't justify the cost for something that will only work for 2-3 years when I only go *maybe* once a year.
17 though! That's impressive!

Rob562

My husband was the one that found a forum post (he couldn't remember which forum) about how deactivating didn't work, only deletion. This will only be my 3rd band since 2016, so I don't see me having issues like that. Just an observation of what could be an issue for some people that go far more often than I'm able to.

I like that idea of recycling...makes sense.
Totally understand the collection aspect. If I lived closer and/or went more often I would probably collect some of the nifty limited edition ones. But I just can't justify the cost for something that will only work for 2-3 years when I only go *maybe* once a year.
17 though! That's impressive!

Just so you're aware, all Bands will continue to work indefinitely for all tap-to-use functions (tickets, FastPasses, room key, room charge, dining plan, manual Photopass linking). Those do not require any internal power.

When the internal battery eventually dies, the only things that will stop working are automatic ride photo linking and the "magical" extras on the queues and rides that know your name. (Small World, RnRC posters, etc) Basically anything that requires the Band to be read at a distance.

Only one of my current Bands are the new style. All the others are the original version of the Bands.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom