Walt Disney World at Christmas

CaptainTC

Original Poster
OK, i know this question has most likely been asked lots of times here before, but i wanted to ask for myself. What is it like at Disney World at Christmas?? From what i've seen it looks pretty Magical, but can i expect it to be VERY busy, like busier than say June July time? And how is the Weather, i can understand that its not going to be as hot a Summer. I have always been mid Summer time, but for a change i think i want to plan for Xmas. Thanks.

HouCuseChickie

Crowds really depend on when you go...i.e. if you go the week between Christmas and New Years- it's going to be jam packed. If you go the week right before Christmas- it's still going to be pretty crowded. Beyond that, most people say it's pretty slow. We went Dec 7-13 last year and crowds were pretty light. As for it being magical- it was incredible :xmas: The decorations were stunning (parks and hotels), we had a nice time at MVMCP, LOVED (seriously LOVED) Osborn Lights, Epcot was neat with the storytellers around the world and I know others who loved Candlelight Processional, and it was just neat to be there and have holiday music everywhere. At some point I'd like to go again at this time of year...really worth it!!!

mickey2008.1

We have gone three times around Christmas, Dec 14 time. Its absolutely beautiful, and crowds are not that bad. Wait times are mostly under an hour, even 30mins, except for Soarin and TSMM, which is expected. Weather was in mid 80's 2008, 2009, but last year was lows of 25 and highs of 40. So its a crap shoot for weather temps, but for its magical experience, its awesome!!!:xmas:

mergatroid

It's beautiful and everyone should experience Disney at Christmas at least once in their life :xmas:

WARNING: Christmas day can be absolutely heaving especially the Magic Kingdom. One year after getting there for opening and entering, I left after about 2 hours after planning pretty much a full day there! The place was gridlocked with huge queues for everything :eek:

imahistorygeek

We've been twice during Christmas and it's wonderful. The weather is good and the decorations are really beautiful. The crowds are heavy, but if you have a touring plan, you can pretty much hit every ride with a short wait. I personally think the crowds are some of the best parts of the holiday season at Disney.

mrsdanalind

OK, i know this question has most likely been asked lots of times here before, but i wanted to ask for myself. What is it like at Disney World at Christmas?? From what i've seen it looks pretty Magical, but can i expect it to be VERY busy, like busier than say June July time? And how is the Weather, i can understand that its not going to be as hot a Summer. I have always been mid Summer time, but for a change i think i want to plan for Xmas. Thanks.

Outside of one time that we went during the summer, which we will never do again, we always book for either the week after Thanksgiving or the second week of December:xmas:. If we go later it's crazy withthe off for Christmas Break kids. We have found that it's not crowded, we can pretty much book any meal any place we want, the wait times are minimal, (less than 30 min for most rides) The decorations are FANTASTIC.
We especailly like the Osborn lights (DHS) and the Christmas Processional(Epcot. ) If you do the processoinal, book the meal and reserve a seat at it, you get better seats, and its worth the money ( our two choices, Le Cellar in Canada, or the Crown and Rose in England) ENJOY

I have been many times in December. The beginning of December is not too crowded. If you are there during Pop Warner time you will see a ton of cheerleaders and may have problems if staying in the hotels they are. We were there last year at POR and had no problems at all. They were well behaved and always with their parents. December is truly a magical time to visit. It is one of my favorite times to visit WDW. The decorations are beautiful. MVMCP is great. Osbourne Lights is fantastic, not to be missed. The Candlelight Processional is another that is not to be missed. I do suggest the dinner package with that show. The lines are very long and if you don't have a guaranteed seat with the dinner package you will be waiting in line for hours to get a seat. It is a wonderful part of our Christmas tradition. We have the CD and listen to it over and over every Christmas. It makes me really miss it when I can't go at Christmas time.

I have experienced all kinds of temperatures in December. One year it rained my whole 10 day trip. Yikes!!:eek: It was awful. Most times it was nice, either shorts or jeans with a t-shirt during the day and a sweatshirt at night. Twice, including last year, it was terribly cold. We live in CT and are used to cold but it was tough to be out at night when the temps were dipping below freezing and we had left our winter jackets at home. We knew the temps were dropping but the forecast for that area before we left home showed only a couple of days of cold then warming. Well, it never really warmed and continued to get colder after we left. We brought gloves, hats and turtlenecks for our daughters but figured they get cold before we do so we didn't pack like that for ourselves. My husband and I ended up buying hats, gloves and scarves for ourselves.

Just pack for all types of weather and you will be ok!!:animwink:

Have a fantastic trip!!

stlbobby

Xmas is awesome at Disney. The crowds grow as the holidays approach to the point of park closings from Xmas to the New Year. But if you want to spend relaxing time at the resort and just wander the parks without having to hit every attraction it can be fun. It depends on your attitude and expectations.

Normally the weather hits the 80's with cool evenings, but it can get cold last year it was bitter cold, over night frosts and winds, between the 10th and the 15th, but the day we left it was sunny and hit the high 70's.

The most important piece of advice I have. Stay at Wilderness Lodge if you can. I love all the resorts and have favorite things about each, but for the holidays WL is the best. The rustic atmosphere and huge fireplace really just fit the season.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Every year in December we go there without fail. I don't think we could possibly go a year without going then. It is beyond an amazing/relaxing/forget it is real life time to go.

Beth R

It is incredibly MAGICAL! I've been there 9 times at other times of year, but this past holiday season was the first time going in December, & we were blown away!

Big stuff--
Each park's parades are holiday themed, and holiday decorations are everywhere.

The Osborne Lights at Hollywood Studios are not to be missed -- big fun light show w/music, ongoing from about 6:30pm until park close.

Beautiful music at Epcot Candlelight Processional -- don't forget to purchase some gingerbread & hot chocolate from inside America first! The Voices of Liberty also sing holiday music instead of their usual sets of tunes.

It "snows" in Magic Kingdom daily (tiny soap bubbles, but they look & feel like snow!).

Overall there are lots of little holiday touches everywhere.

For us, the crowds weren't too bad (12/19-12/22) -- at their heaviest, they were comparable to early June when we've gone before. And actually, 2 of the days when it drizzled a little, we were able to walk on to almost every ride!

Splash Mountain was a little chilly, but overall it was quite comfortable- light jacket during the day, sweater & scarves at night.

Like you, last year we were contemplating whether it was worth changing our routine to see Disney during the holidays. I can say it was ABSOLUTELY worth it! So I say go for it! :xmas:

JIMINYCR

Christmas time at Disney is the best. We've gone the second & third weeks of Dec and it really puts you in the Christmas mood. The fantastic decorations throughout WDW, the special events and Osbourne lights will spoil all other Christmas attractions for you. Nothing compares to a Disney Christmas. You will always compare everything else to Disney from then on. If at all possible, you have to experience it.

Minnie1976

Very crowded Christmas week and the closer to New Years the more crowded it gets. But there is nothing like being at the Magic Kingdom on Christmas morning waiting for it to open. We were there in 2008 and 2009. I missed being there so much this year. In 2009 it rained and the magic Kingdom was empty til around 11 A.M. When the rain stopped, the people started pouring in. Make your ADRs, take advantage of early and late extra hours and go with the flow.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom