News Walt Disney Company First Quarter 2020 Earnings report shows increased spending at the parks and resorts and slight attendance gains

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
Original Poster

Rteetz

Overall for the company revenue was up to 20.86 billion.

Disney+ was the main talking point with 28+ million subscribers as of yesterday.

Capital expenditures on Parks and Resorts is down this quarter compared to this quarter from the previous year.

Bob Iger highlights the success of Rise of the Resistance.

Attendance up 6% for the quarter for domestic parks.

Disney is expecting a two month closure of China parks.

Hotel occupancy for domestic hotels at 92% for the quarter.

Park operation income up 9%, revenue up 8%.

Rteetz

In questioning Disney was asked if they are seeing any impacts on international issues on international guests. Asian markets do not factor in the top 5 international markets visiting domestic parks. Japan is the highest and thats for Disneyland. Disney doesn't see any impact from coronavirus on that. Brazil/South America is their big one and they are seeing a small decline there right now.

Chef Mickey

Another strong showing for parks and studios. Wow.

Iger said brand popularity has never been stronger.

26M Disney+ subscribers ending Dec 31 is ahead of any analyst estimate and they have 28.6M as of yesterday.

Once they get the Fox acquisition expenses and launch of Disney+ out of the way, I see earnings being extremely strong.

I have been accumulating shares on any pullback for years.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Interesting that the percentage put on internationals coming to the domestic parks is 18%
It’s was about 15% 20 years ago...give or take. Hasn’t move all that much...

Which means the domestic numbers are far more fascinating...wish I had a breakdown of those
I would also assume Canadians are considered part of "domestic" tourists, much like box office numbers.
That’s a good question...don’t recall if I’ve ever seen an answer to this?

jt04

Another strong showing for parks and studios. Wow.

Iger said brand popularity has never been stronger.

26M Disney+ subscribers ending Dec 31 is ahead of any analyst estimate and they have 28.6M as of yesterday.

Once they get the Fox acquisition expenses and launch of Disney+ out of the way, I see earnings being extremely strong.

I have been accumulating shares on any pullback for years.

They are really only lately investing big in the parks (attractions) and that is what really sells tickets and drives occupancy. As I was always saying, they had to repair past missteps and upgrade infrastructure before the fun investments. They finally are close to not always playing catch up.

I look for a lot more capital investment in the parks through the 50th and beyond.

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
They are really only lately investing big in the parks (attractions) and that is what really sells tickets and drives occupancy. As I was always saying, they had to repair past missteps and upgrade infrastructure before the fun investments. They finally are close to not always playing catch up.

I look for a lot more capital investment in the parks through the 50th and beyond.

Hey...we actually agree!

Though not about continued park investment...all this is for bob to retire on top. With no succession - chances are not good for more capex.

jt04

Hey...we actually agree!

Though not about continued park investment...all this is for bob to retire on top. With no succession - chances are not good for more capex.

Why would your cynicism suddenly be right now?

Unless Iger runs for President he likely will still be on the board. His legacy also will depend on a transition that is successful IMO.

Even with a successful transition you and others will say Iger was a bad hire and in over his head. It has been very entertaining watching his critics. 🎭🃏🎪

HauntedMansionFLA

Maybe they can talk Iger in postponing his retirement again so he can keep investing in the parks even more. He’s whipping Epcot into shape!!

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Why would your cynicism suddenly be right now?

Unless Iger runs for President he likely will still be on the board. His legacy also will depend on a transition that is successful IMO.

Even with a successful transition you and others will say Iger was a bad hire and in over his head. It has been very entertaining watching his critics. 🎭🃏🎪
You got the wrong guy, kid...

But we’ll discuss the realities of Iger and what’s good and bad about him later...

Except for this: it doesn’t matter if he’s on the board (but will likely resign as is standard)...his parachute deploys when he leaves the ceo post and triggers his options.

He can laugh to the bank for the most part if it burns 6 months down the road...which is likely why he’s still there in the first place

Last edited:

Sirwalterraleigh

Premium Member
Surprisingly low right?
Only if you don’t know what you’re looking at...

For years (closer to decades - actually 😬 ) I’ve watched people grossly overestimate/assume the percentage of foreign visitors in US parks.

So this is where the psa still holds: Disney parks are designed around and supported by the American middle class...

So I always encourage people to recognize that when we talking pricing. Perspective matters.

Chef Mickey

Disney World was all but ignored for almost 15 years. Iger is finally making up for it.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom