Vintage/Classic Computing

ShoalFox

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Does anybody here have any computers that could be considered vintage?

In addition to my modern machines (Early 2013 iMac and Mid 2015 rMBP), I do have a few vintage computers.

I have a Dell Latitude LM with Windows 95 that used to belong to my brother and a Dell Inspiron 7500 with Windows 98 that was my father's. Not sure if this would be considered vintage because it has XP, but I also have my father's old Dell Inspiron 300m.

The Apple side of my collection is more interesting. I've got a Macintosh Classic with System 6.0.3 and my current grail: a Power Macintosh G3 running Mac OS 9.2.2
I want to install Tiger on the G3, but the computer doesn't start up when I have the install DVD in the drive and only displays a black screen.

networkpro

In the Parks
Yes
I've never heard of the Sinclair Spectrum. But I remember wanting a Commodore 64.

Do they still run?

The Sinclair was another 8 bit personal computer that was a competitor to the Commodore line in the UK, one of many. what set both of these apart from the rest of the crowd is both had a built in programming language interpreter baked in silicon inside, BASIC.

It would also depend how far back you want to go and do you want to limit it to "personal computers" and particular operating systems. I've got CP/M systems with 8 inch floppy drives, PDP systems and lots of older detritus. I've done computers and electronics for a living for decades.

ShoalFox

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Anyway, I did end up getting Tiger installed on my G3, but the installation somehow broke after a couple weeks...

prberk

My first home PC was an IBM P/S1 in 1990 or so. It was a joint venture between IBM and Sears, Roebuck & Co., and it came with this great new bulletin board service called "Prodigy," which was a competitor at the time to "CompuServe." Remember those services?

It also had a primitive, pre-Windows point-and-click operating system that actually used boxes and pictures to select what you were going to do. It was quite user-friendly for its day.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom