Value or Moderate Resorts

curious

Hello WDW Magic Forum

Since this is my family first time going to Disney, I would like some tips, secrets, and highlights to the Value Resorts and Moderate resorts? Also a little insight to the offsite I want to have the best fun for my money. My family consist of 7 people (4 adults, 3 children)

The input that have been given so far has been helpful I need to try to find some discounts as well Your help is greatly appreciated.

Thanks
Curious:p

disneydudette

well...u have to think...

Staying on property is going to be hard...with 7 people u'll need 2 rooms...unless u stay at one of the Villas...like at the boardwalk and the beach club....

We have stayed at the Vistana resort...
WE highly recomend it...

-theres 2 bedroom villas...with a pulloiut couch...nd u may ask for a cot if needed...the villas include full kitchen two bathrooms..living room..dining area..as well as a patio....

there's several areas of the resort...each area with there own pool...or a pool near by....

theres a grocery store on property aswell as a club house...which has daily kid activities....
theres even a miniture golf course....

We were last there in 2000...and stayed for nearly 13 days....I believe the room was farely cheep...

It was also close to WDW..only a 5 min drive to the entrance....

the website is....
http://www.starwoodvo.com/resorts/welcome.jsp?resortID=5

ALSO-

with such a large group...u must figure what works best...

Staying on property...gives u transportation, passes, and all access to the world....
theres no need for a car...
yet u pay double the price, for two rooms...
With the kids....it may just be easier to hope on the bus back to the resort...rather than having to go to the parking lot and drive back...

Staying off site...may give more for your money...more luxury..
only u need to get a car, pay for parking and passes....

Hope this helps!

DD:kiss:

Upvote 0

ToTBellHop

I always prefer staying on property to off--get the added Disney Magic. With a party of seven, consider getting adjoining rooms at either the values or the moderates. Of course, the moderates have more Disney magic than the values, but if money is an issue, the value resorts are just fine (might I recommend All-Star Movies?). If you go during the value season, you could get both rooms for as little as $160-$180/night combined--not too bad for a large party. At the moderates, you would be looking more towards $300/night for the group. Of course, these numbers drop based on any deals you get.

Upvote 0

KathyG/poohbear

I just returned from the Poly and I have to say, that staying onsite is the greatest if you stay in a MK resort. You are on the monorail and feel like you are in Disney.

My experience at AKL was totally different. It is a nice themed hotel but you don't feel like your hotel is part of the parks. I would probably rent a nice house with a private pool. It works well for big groups because you have a living room/den to sit together in.

If your party was smaller I would definitely recommend concierge level. You definitely come out ahead with food this way. You can eat a nice lunch and then use the food in the lounge for your dinner most nights. It would not hurt to check anyway because alot depends on the time of year you are going.

Upvote 0

tigsmom

If the kids are younger I would stay in the park...its just easier than trying to find your car in the lot with a bunch of sleepy worn out kids (adults too). We have stayed on and off the monorail (deluxe). Last trip was the Poly...nice, but too spread out for me. Love the WL...You would need adjoining or connecting rooms if you really need to be together. Our party was split...one on the 1st floor and one on the 6th! I know it is expensive, but I think the Resorts are worth it. There are a lot of sites that offer discounts (as mentioned earlier) Check these out they might help.

Upvote 0

CAPTAIN HOOK

I think the first thing that you need to decide is your budget with such a large party - can you afford onsite and still have enough money to have a good time OR is it better to stay offsite and save money which you can then spend in and around the parks.
If you decide onsite then go for a moderate resort - Port Orleans would be my recommendation.

Upvote 0

Pat

you should try thw Wilderness Cabins at Fort Wilderness . They should fit your entire party in one cabin. Plus you will have a kitchen and a BBQ grill.

Upvote 0

TIGGER-FAN

Decide how much time you are going to spend at the resort. If you only plan to be there to shower and sleep, go with a value. If you plan to spend time at the resort i.e. pool, go with the moderate. The money you save on your room can be spent in the parks.

Upvote 0

Dwarful

we have stayed at all 3 all stars w/o incident or interuption in sleeping. our last trip was with 8 people however we were 3 adults w/5 kids. we did 2 rooms at all star movies...used a code from mousesavers and paid $50 per room per night=$100 a night for 10 nights..May/June over Memorial Day week and all.

how old are the kids? I wouldn't stay off site w/o our kids simply because its nice to be close to the hotel for whatever reason..dip in the pool, naptime etc. Also so much easier to hop on a bus and get dropped off..the anticipation level esp. for first time kids will be high...by staying onsite you wouldn't run into off site traffic that might delay your arrival to the parks..nothing worse than getting up early leaving your hotel at 8 am and not getting to ride your first ride until 11am!

we go for the parks, not the hotel so we don't spend much time in the room..the kids liked the pools at the all stars so that wasn't an issue for us either..but maybe thats a big deal to your family.

I would get some good guide books, list your prioties and those of the others in the party..then you will be able to make a better decision..you want the first trip to be great! so don't be afraid to ask lots of questions at this site...everyone loves to help plan a trip (even if we only get to pretend its our own!)

Upvote 0
How long are you going to be there? Consider buying an annual pass for one person to get both rooms at annual passholder rates. You would need to run a calculation, but you may save more by doing it that way. Mousesaver.com is the best source to find out what special discounts are available. WDWIG.com has the annual passholder rates.

My favorite is the Port Orleans French Quarter - You are able to get on the buses first and you get off first- that way the huge crowds at Dixies Landings don't get all the seats first. The main drawback to French Quarter is that they only have a food court - no sit down restuarants. The pool is great and the grounds are quite small, very well kept and beautiful compared to the rest and I never have to walk very far.

There is a boat that takes you to Disney Marketplace, but to get to all other locations, you must use the bus. All the other value and moderates have the same situation, except no other resorts except Dixies Landings and French Quarter have the boat to Disney Marketplace.

Have a wonderful first vacation!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom