Vacant show buildings, vacant buildings, and attractions that need to be closed

mm121

Original Poster
Saw this on another board so I didnt make this and its from 2012, so some parts aren't current.. but it does show some cool ideas about how they could utilize some spaces better to add entertainment in some cases without having to do tons of construction
-------------------------------------------------------

Ok my negative nancy hat is on. But I wanted to take a moment to illustrate what in my opinion are wasted opportunities at the Walt Disney World Resort.

Each of the 4 parks have either expansion pads that should be filled, old show buildings that lie vacant, or attractions so out of date, or so universally loathed, that they should either be replaced at best, or closed with no replacement at worst.

Please feel free to add your own 2 cents here. But I keep finding it harder and harder to pony up the cost for an Annual Pass with so much gone to waste.

Magic Kingdom:

MisusedspaceatMagicKingdom.png

1. The Frontierland Expansion pad that the placement of Splash Mountain has pretty much made impossible.
2. The Walt Disney Theater on Main Street that is now used for meeting Mickey Mouse was once an amazing show theater.
3. The parking lot behind Mainstreet was once slated as an Expansion pad.
4. The Tomorrowland Theater, now removed, no longer a daily show theater.
5. The Carousel of Progres. While this is a personal favorite of mine, it is humiliatingly outdated, and does not receive the maintenance, and cleaning needed.
6. Stiche's Great Escape - the ride system is 20 years past it's prime, and the theater just needs to be removed, and replaced.
7. The Swan Boats disappeared from the Magic Kingdom and never were replaced. They never removed the infrastructure for this attraction either.

Epcot Future World:

MisusedspaceatEpcotFutureWorld.png

1. Expansion pad that has never been used
2. The Circle of Life attraction is incredibly outdated
3. The Food Rocks Theater was simply boarded up and left to rot when they decided to build Soarin'
4. Journey Into your Imagination with Figment hated almost universally (though not by me) this attraction sees only a small fraction of daily guests and the parks satisfaction score remains the same when this attraction is close (meaning guest don't care if it is opened or closed)
5. Image Works Lab depressing, vacant, unused, sad
6. Captain EO - the tribute was nice, but we need a new concept, and Honey I Shrunk the Audience isn't that.
7. Ellen's Energy Adventure - Ellen has personally aged better than this attraction. Out dated, long, and stale this attraction excites no one.
8. Wonders of Life Pavillion - now simply a convention space. Vacant and unused
9. Odysse Center - now simply a convention and meeting space.
10. Innoventions East - character meet and greets and show room displays
11. Innoventions West - character meet and greets and show room displays

Epcot World Showcase:

MisusedspaceatEpcotWorldShowcase.png

1. Expansion pad never used
2. Expansion pad never used
3. Show building for a ride never built now used as Food and Wine Storage
4. Expansion pad never used
5. A show building for 2 attractions never built now used as storage for WDW merchandise
6. Expansion pad never used
7. Museum that could be a small dark ride or show, but is politically outdated, and never seen.
8. Expansion Pad never used
9. Impression De France while a personal favorite, is embarrassingly outdated. Nothing like seeing 1980's France with bell bottoms and striped shirts.
10. World Show Place - a temporary building built for the Millennium celebration, that just happened to stay forever as a convention and meeting space. has now made it impossible for both the UK and Canada to ever get an attraction.
11. Expansion pad for a Canadian attraction (once a proposed log flume ride) that never got built, thanks to the location of Soarin' and World Show Place.

Disney's Hollywood Studios

MisusedspaceatDisneysHollywoodStudios.png

1. Indian Jones Epic Stunt Show - this has not aged well, and desperately needs to be removed.
2. Drew Carey Sounds Dangers - now sits empty, and is used as convention/meeting space
3. Muppets 4D - has not aged well. the ending with the 1990's clothing, and the 3D ghosting just looks bad.
4. Honey I Shrunk the Kids Adventure Play Set - while this one I might take off here, because it still thrills kids. The reference is long gone, and no longer relevant.
5. The Great Movie Ride - also has not aged well, and desperately needs to be refreshed or gutted.
6. Back Lot Studio Tour - an embarrassment, a waste of space, and insults the visitors intelligence. the Bone yard, has been left to rot, and the studio aspect is completely gone. This needs to be removed asap, or just closed.
7. Catastrophe Canyon - needs to be ripped out with the backlot tour
8. Old production space that needs to be ripped out.
9. Empty Sound Stage - once used to film the Mickey Mouse Club, it now is a sad Mickey Mouse Meet and Greet.
10. Empty Sound Stage
11. Old Production Space that needs to be ripped out
12. Narnia, now a Pirates thing, completely wasted space
13. The old parking tour for Animators who worked at Feature Animation, needs to be ripped out.
14. Feature Animation Building, and Office space no longer utilized.
15. One Man's Dream while this is quaint and cute, it is a waste of prime real estate.
16. Voyage of the Little Mermaid - old tired, needs to be put down.
17. The Magic of Disney Animation - this attraction feels lost, and pointless and out of date.
18. Old Production space needs to be ripped out
19. Old production space needs to be ripped out.
20. Beauty and the beast Live an old show that needs to be upgraded or taken out, and is sitting on a massive expansion pad that could be better utilized.
21. (not listed) located in the Old Hunch Back Theater, at the end of the Streets of America (the SF facade) after years of being boarded up and being used for Osbone Festival of Lights storage, it was renovated, and turned into Special Event Space.

Disney's Animal Kingdom

MisusedSpaceatDisneysAnimalKingdom.png

1. Conservation Station - people get there, and find out it is a petting zoo, and they turn around only to have to wait an hour to get back on a train.
2. The old Firework testing grounds, this was once slated for Australia, now just an empty Expansion pad.
3. This large bay area, was once slated for a night time show called "The Rivers of Light" would have been incredible. Now it is simply a bay/lake area with no real purpose, and lots of seating around it.
4. Chester & Hester - intentionally tacky doesn't mean worthwhile.
5. The Animal Kingdom River Boats might have closed it's first year, but Disney never removed the infrastructure much like at MK with the Swan Boats.
6. Expansion Pad never used (slated for Pandora)
7. The theater for Pocahontas and her Forrest friends currently sits closed. (slated for demolition for Pandora).

Downtown Disney

MisusedspaceatDowntownDisney.png

1. Expansion Pad Never Used
2. Expansion Pad Never Used
3. Bus Station and Expansion Pad Never Used (bus station built and no longer used)
4. Valet at Cirque no longer used
5. Disney Quest - so old, smelly, and boring it really is a blight.
6. Expansion Pad Never Used
7. Characters of Flight - no longer flying. - Correction is now flying.
8. BET Sound stage - closed
9. Adventurer's club - closed
10. Comedy Warehouse - closed
11. 8 Trax - closed
12. Mannequins - closed
13. Former Beach Club - closed
14. Former Club - Closed
15. Fultons - ok this is punitive, I just really don't like this restaurant, and think it is a waste of money. lol

zooey

There are many opportunities, yes. Unfortunately the money was spent elsewhere. You can armchair imagineer the parks to death, but it doesn't do much good. You have to accept it or not accept it as it is.

BrightImagine

I think a map with all the actually vacant and unused areas of the parks colored in would be more useful. Outdated/needs cleaning/refurb is much different than just lying vacant in my opinion.

mm121

Original Poster
There are many opportunities, yes. Unfortunately the money was spent elsewhere. You can armchair imagineer the parks to death, but it doesn't do much good. You have to accept it or not accept it as it is.
I didnt make these.. but yea i agree it is possible to imagineer to death and actual practicality/execution is a different story.

I just re posted it from elsewhere as I thought there were some good points for discussion.

great, you have pointed out everything you dont like about the parks. Some people love the stuff you have condemned, just because you dont like it doesnt mean it should be ripped out. Also nothing offered as potential replacements...armchair Imagineer is right.

I didn't make these.

disney4life2008

I can only imagine had they spent $2Billion on actually cleaning up the parks and developing new attractions - what WDW would be like by 2017. However, by 2017 the only thing we can be certain of is new disney springs and avatarland and the soon to be completed (yet horrible) fantasyland expansion. To make matters worse - they are putting loads of money into building DVC rooms and eliminating great disney spots (polynesian resorT)

ABQ

What Swan Boat infrastructure was not removed? Just the docks, which were re-purposed to a small degree. I guess you can say that till now, the water wasn't removed.

KCheatle

I'm sitting here thinking about why Disney doesn't fill the empty spaces/buildings. And, of course, the most obvious answer is money. They either don't have enough or don't want to spend what they do have and/or don't think it's a good use of their money. Honestly, I bet they have enough money, so then I question why they don't want to spend it on this stuff?

I don't know the answer. The only thing I can think of is that right now, WDW is a minimum 6-day, 5-night vacay to experience most of the attractions people want to experience. If all of those spaces were filled, or even 1/2 of those spaces were filled with new attractions or experiences, I wonder if it would become too overwhelming for guests?? I don't know the answer...just speculating.

But I see them adding to AK and thinking that many of us consider it a 1/2 day park. So, maybe WDW hears that and thinks it could afford to add some stuff there.

Again, I don't know. But, I do question the logic behind the decision and wonder if there isn't some legitimate rationale for it???

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom