Upcoming trip June 2019 with a two year old

SwoopDaddy82

I’m sure this has been asked before but we may be taking a trip to WDW in June of 2019 with rest of family. My wife and I will be bringing our daughter (driving down 16 hours from Midwest so that’s figured out) who will be 2 by then. I am seeking any and all advice for taking a toddler to WDW. Anything is welcome. :)

Hakunamatata

Le Meh
Premium Member
Take it slow. Get a stroller that lays back and has a good cover for shade. Get a rain cover for it. Tie something on the handle that distinguishes it. Decide up front if you are going to do child swap or just not ride attractions that wont allow a toddler. Plenty of sunscreen. Be ready for grumpy toddler and melt downs. Have fun.

Upvote 0

"El Gran Magnifico"

Bring Me A Shrubbery
Premium Member
Buy a Mickey fan or other mister/fan combo. Take breaks at the child care center. Hydrate and get ready for a few possible heat related tantrums. Know the "go to rides" for a break (COP, Country Bears, TikiRoom, Wedway)

Upvote 0

HoustonHorn

Premium Member
My 23-month old was scared of most characters, but the ones at Crystal Palace were absolutely incredible. It was the best character experience we had. The Disney Jr. show at MGM was great. I second the advice re: stroller - ours napped in the parks with the shade drawn regularly. Know when enough is enough - you want this to be the start of a love affair with WDW!

Upvote 0

HwdStudio

Buy a Mickey fan or other mister/fan combo. Take breaks at the child care center. Hydrate and get ready for a few possible heat related tantrums. Know the "go to rides" for a break (COP, Country Bears, TikiRoom, Wedway)
Agree Definitely a fan! Clip it onto the stroller to get the young one from overheating!

Upvote 0

disneyflush

Know going in that it can be very frustrating trying to explore the park at the pace of a 2 year old (which is what will be happening unless you want constant melt-downs). Some days you might get 3 rides in total. Some days she might be sick when waking up and that day will be shot. Set expectations accordingly.

Upvote 0

Rsj88

Get to the parks early!!! Buy a balloon the first day and tie it to your stroller. Take lots of snacks. We figured out quickly that most of the melt downs (adults included) were due to hunger. Now, I make sure everyone is eating a snack every couple of hours. I also learned every kid is different. My oldest was great at two. He would go all day and fall asleep in his stroller at night so we could shop or take turns riding rides. My youngest wanted to be in the hotel as soon as it got dark. He hated the stoller and just wanted me to hold him. It was an adventure lol but we made such wonderful memories. We found that riding the big rides wasn’t as important anymore. Just being there with our kids and seeing them enjoy the parks through their eyes is so rewarding.

Upvote 0

Spash007

We went in September last year with our almost 3 year old and here's a few things we learned. Plan on taking breaks - we figured in September it would be cool enough to go for full park days, but we all needed the time to get out of the sun. Our daughter was a champ at the stroller nap, which we figured would be a better idea than back in bed with us awake - so try to figure out how your daughter naps best and plan that in (no one wants a cranky tired kid even if it means losing some time on rides). We actually didn't lose a lot of time for those naps though, they usually happened when walking to the bus and then on the bus, or walking around World Showcase. Order food through instacart or garden grocer or one of those others, and brings snacks and drinks into the park. I highly recommend a cooler backpack (we have one called arctic zone we got at costco and wasn't that expensive) to keep those drinks cold, as well as cooling towels. Try a stroller fan. Even though our daughter hated it (no idea why...), when she fell asleep we put it on to keep her cool. On that topic, while our daughter was "normal" during the trip, I can't explain and couldn't expect some of her behavior. For example, she couldn't stand rides where she thought she could get wet. This made sense for actual water, and she was ok on the Little Mermaid ride. But when it came to Nemo, she was convinced she would get wet. It took some getting used to when you spend months making plans, but you have to just roll with it a bit. For any dark rides, have your phone ready in your hand. Whenever she started getting nervous from the dark, I would just turn the screen on, and tell her to look at that, and she was ok. For characters, our daughter wasn't exactly scared, but more just uncomfortable with them (even face characters) for the first 3 days. Then all of a sudden she was great with them all, giving hugs, talking etc. I think she just became used to them, but my one regret is that Ariel was her favorite, and we met her the first day when she wanted nothing to do with her. Had we gone back, she probably would've been much better. Try to space out the characters, even if she doesn't do well at first, she may later on. Mentioning regrets made me remember one more thing - bring either ear plugs and/or headphones for fireworks. We somehow forgot them, and she was terrified. The music they pipe in was loud and just added to it. Even during the day at MK they do a mini-show with a couple of fireworks, and those even scared her. We went to fireworks last week and brought headphones to cover her ears, and she was fine.

Oh - and make sure you watch her face as much as you look at your surroundings. The excitement from a child's perspective is where some of the real magic is!

Upvote 0

oliviosis

Allot for pool time! My kids enjoyed the pool/splash pads and the playground at the resort just as much as the parks . I was also surprised that they enjoyed the shows a lot. My 2 year old was really interested in Beauty and the Beast Live and Mickey's Philharmagic in particular. He was afraid of the dark rides, even Little Mermaid and Peter Pan!
Follow your child's schedule as much as you can or at least know their limits. My kids are early to wake and early to bed so we went with the early wake ups and made rope drop every day but we never made it even close to fireworks. As they started to get a bit mouthy or whiny, we just left and got them to bed. Were they in bed at normal time? No. But they were usually in bed within an hour or an hour and a half of their regular time. My husband and I look back on our last two trips and find that, although, in the moment we were bummed to leave the parks so early, we enjoyed sitting in bed in the dark having a drink and talking about the fun of that day while the boys slept.

Upvote 0

ElleJay1119

The tip on this site to tie a colorful bandana to your stroller handle was invaluable. I had no issues finding our stroller during our trip in April/May. Great advice!

Upvote 0

SwoopDaddy82

Original Poster
All of these are fantastic pointers! We know she will love AK because she loves animals after a number of trips to our local zoo. All animals are called "daddy" to her. Dont know why this is as I resemble a gorilla more than say a meerkat or snake or lion. :)
Wife and I already planned on taking afternoon breaks at hotel for a couple hours from after lunch to just before dinner. Not only did my brother and his wife do this with their then two year old in 2016 but we did too just to rest and this was long before our parenting days. So itll definently be needed. Next big thing Im researching is how to get the most out of five or six hours in the park (any park) in AM with our toddler. So now i need to figure out how early to get to each park, what attractions to do first, etc. Methinks planning is a lot funner than actually doing. :)

Upvote 0

Patcheslee

My 23-month old was scared of most characters, but the ones at Crystal Palace were absolutely incredible. It was the best character experience we had. The Disney Jr. show at MGM was great. I second the advice re: stroller - ours napped in the parks with the shade drawn regularly. Know when enough is enough - you want this to be the start of a love affair with WDW!
Since Easter is before your trip maybe take them there to see how she might react to characters? Bring bubbles to entertain in lines. Also the have baby sitting services if you and your wife want a date night. Look into rider swap for bigger rides you want to go on. Adult can go on it while Adult with child can go on a kid ride, then adults swap.

Upvote 0

SwoopDaddy82

Original Poster
Diversions and snacks are already planned. :) we took her to our local Bass Pro to see Santa Claus last year when she was nine months old and she loved Santa. I think she will be good with non face characters like Snow, Cinderella, Mary Poppins (y'all), but big characters are questionable. I think we got this down but we know she will love wdw.

Upvote 0

ScarletBegonias

Take child size forks and spoons! My daughter loved to feed herself but would get frustrated with the big spoons and forks, so we started taking her own size ones~! Made it so much easier. Also, Bring snacks! they saved us on rides or lines when she started getting grumpy!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom