Unknown Event in the Tunnels

kap91

Original Poster
I was wondering if anybody has any information on what happened in the tunnels today. They wouldn't let anybody into the main entrance and there was smoke coming from the Liberty Square area. The place was swarming with managers. Did a fire or something break out? I hope not.

Coastieboy00

Parts of the tunnel were cleared as well as several guest buildings due to a possible fire in the area of the old zoo. All was cleared an hour or so later and is fully operational now.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Yikes!! A fire in the utilidors would suck!! I hope everyone is okay!! I traveled the ad-lib utilidors too many times.

Mecha Figment

It was in fact an electric fire. We were on our way back from the grand floridian and had to go in park gate 1 instead and walk the utilidor allthe way across the park. it was located just benieth Tinks store, and i think it involved some of the equipment used for philharmagic. The zoo area was filled with very strong smelling smoke.

TomorrowlandTyler

Just so everyone can visualize what were talking about:
2276tunnel_map.jpg

http://photoalbums.wdwmagic.com/showphoto.php?photo=936&limit=views
The map is if you were in the back of the park looking towards main street...You can see the lable "character zoo" on the left towards the bottom.

kal1484

joshwill said:
arrrrgh...theyre not tunnels!!! :)

They are in all aspects except their sea level tunnels. They are inclosed passageways that are "underground"
A Tunnel is: An underground or underwater passage.
They call roadways that go through mountains "tunnels"
True, it's not below the first level, but it doesn't matter....

Tom

Beta Return
wdwprincess03 said:
They are in all aspects except their sea level tunnels. They are inclosed passageways that are "underground"
A Tunnel is: An underground or underwater passage.
They call roadways that go through mountains "tunnels"
True, it's not below the first level, but it doesn't matter....
Yay, I get to be a construction nerd. If you look at www.m-w.com you will see the most applicable definition of tunnel being: "a covered passageway; specifically : a horizontal passageway through or under an obstruction" The MK "tunnels" are really just hallways (more technically, corridors) in an underground building. So, by the definitions given in the International Building Code, the "tunnels" are really a Basement, or could also be referred to as the Ground Level. There are rooms and offices down there, so it's really a building, with long corridors that spur off to other lands. You MIGHT be able to get away with calling those corridors "tunnels" by dictionary definition, but the whole thing is still the basement/ground level by code. It's not even the first floor, as many like to refer to it as, because it is indeed underground. The first floor (story) is the "first full level that is at least 70% above grade". I'm not trying to argue - just wanted to spout off some fun, useless knowledge!

Tim G

kap91 said:
I was wondering if anybody has any information on what happened in the tunnels today. They wouldn't let anybody into the main entrance and there was smoke coming from the Liberty Square area. The place was swarming with managers. Did a fire or something break out? I hope not.
Finally a BBQ... (members only) LOL

joshwill

the first floor of a building is not a tunnel. the utilidors are the first floor of mk. the park is the 2nd floor. at least that is how it is explained on the 2 tours i took at wdw that went into the utilidors. i beleive ill take their view of it.

stof911

well maybe one part can be called a tunnel, for anyone who works or worked at MK the long corridor that links the front of the park with the back, it slants down probably 8ft. down so maybe for the construction geeks like me also it could maybe be considered a tunnel

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom