Universal to reopen Jaws

PencilTest

Original Poster
Universal hauls Jaws back from the deep
After nearly shutting down last year, the ride has been fixed up and reopened full time.
Scott Powers | Sentinel Staff Writer

Jaws, an expensive adventure ride at Universal Studios that has bounced from blockbuster attraction to part-time work, is making another comeback.

Universal finished refurbishing the ride and put it back on full-time operation this month, after all but shutting it down last year. In September, park officials reduced Jaws' operation to occasional after-hours events and holiday crowds.

Demand has brought it back, and visitors may cruise the perilous waters of Amity at least through the end of the summer, said Universal Orlando spokesman Tom Schroder.

"We made the decision to reopen Jaws because our guests told us, rather passionately, that they wanted us to," Schroder said.

Based on the best-selling 1974 novel Jaws, by Peter Benchley -- who died last weekend -- and the 1975 blockbuster movie by Steven Spielberg, the ride opened with Universal in 1990.

Jaws had a bad start. After a few months, Universal closed it, blaming mechanical difficulties. It was rebuilt and reopened in 1993. Between the original construction and that overhaul, Universal may have spent $70 million, outside industry sources estimated.

The ride provides a boat trip around Amity lagoon, terrorized by seven robotic great white sharks that lurk and attack.

Schroder said workers replaced one shark's attack motor, modified the flame effects and did touch-up work throughout.

The ride was once a marquee attraction, but some have wondered if -- 30 years removed from the book and movie -- it has lost relevance, especially among younger visitors.

However, Steven Smith, a former Universal employee and now operations manager at Baker Leisure Group, an Orlando-based theme park consulting firm, said the ride is unlikely to lose much relevance because the Jaws brand is an "evergreen" known worldwide.

He also said the ride is valuable to Universal because its capacity -- reported at 2,500 people an hour -- is phenomenal by thrill-ride standards. A typical major ride at most theme parks would do well to handle 1,800 people an hour, Smith said.

JCrane

So is there a chance JAWS may be closed come the fall? I'm coming to Orlando from the UK towards the end of October and would hate to miss out on such a ride...especially as I'm bringing my 'Orlando Newbie' girlfriend...

Can anyone clarify this rumour...I'm a little concerned!!

JCrane

It's just that JAWS is pretty much the face of Universal...especially with the closure of Kongfrontation some while back. Of course, there is always room for improvements and I shall look forward to riding The Mummy and Shrek 4-D equally as much as I looked forward to riding JAWS and KONG way back in 1990 but Universal needs to keep some perspective.

I think any generation can identify with the idea behind the film, and ride, and I, for one, still approach the ocean with trepadition. The film in timeless and, therefore, the ride should be too...

I'm getting a bit worked-up about it but I was so disappointed they closed Kong in-between visits and it'd just be the final nail in the coofin if JAWS was to go the same way.

So, does anyone know anything more about this seasonal/permanent closure?

JROK

I'm assuming that it'll be closing in the end of summer because (this is BIG speculation) Halloween Horror Nights is returning to the Studios this year and they're going to put a house in JAWS' queue line like they did back in the early days of Horror Nights... ONLY speculation... or being hopeful...

Michael72688

No dont say that! HHN needs to stay at the Islands, but hey thats still a few months away. I guess I'm kinda glad to see it reopen, its never good to have rides that large closed for that long.

JCrane

Closing JAWS just to accomodate a yearly event such as Halloween Horror Nights would be a very poor move in my opinion. I'm as much of a fan of the HHN as the next guy/gal but surely the Studios is big enough to accomodate both as HHN only rolls in to town for a month at most...

Obviously, JAWS doesn't quite match thrill rides such as The Mummy and Back to the Future but the whole vibe of the ride, strolling through Amity and encountering what can only be described as a movie legend icon is still a major pull for Universal.

As a UK visitor, I know that JAWS is one of the things I look forward to most...any Universal big-wigs reading this, please don't get rid of JAWS!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom