Universal Studios Mardi Gras

hartj5

Original Poster
I have a 7 day unlimited pass to Universal Studios. I will be there during the April 19th Mardi Gras celebration. Does anyone know if I am able to get in with my unlimited pass or is the Mardi Gras a separate ticket that needs to be purchased? :)

coasterphil

The Mardi Gras events are free, which is why it's best to avoid Universal on Saturday nights unless you really, really, really want to see who is performing.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Why do they have a Mardi Gras party in April. :confused:

That's like having a Christmas party in February. :hammer:

hartj5

Original Poster
They have Mardi Gras every Sat. through April 19th. I didn't think they would have it that late either. Sounds like it will be really crowded. I'll probably just avoid it. I thought the parade might be fun. :shrug:

kcnole

They continue to have it because it packs the people in. The parks are insanely crowded for those parties, but imo, its the best (included with admission) event that they do. I just love the whole decorations of the park during that time, and its by far their best parade.

kirst_al UK

I too think its a great night - only managed to experience it the once due to the dates of which easter fallen the most recent times we've gone....easter AND mardi gras - nah i think i'll pass :) !!

BarryH

Why do they have a Mardi Gras party in April. :confused:

That's like having a Christmas party in February. :hammer:

*cough* Stores put out their Christmas decorations in August *cough*

*cough* Disney started MVMCP in early November 2007 *cough*

:lol:

unkadug

*cough* Stores put out their Christmas decorations in August *cough*

*cough* Disney started MVMCP in early November 2007 *cough*

:lol:

All before the event...not after.

It seems to me that once a holiday/event happens - it's over, until next year.:shrug:

kcnole

Mardi Gras isn't something like Christmas. Its not really an event you build up to for months and then have a massive celebration day, after which you're kind of burned out on Christmas. I doubt 90% of America could even tell you what days the real Mardi Gras even take place on.

unkadug

Mardi Gras isn't something like Christmas. Its not really an event you build up to for months and then have a massive celebration day, after which you're kind of burned out on Christmas...

And that's where you went wrong.

Mardi Gras is exactly what you just said it wasn't.

JROK

Mardi Gras for Universal is just celebrating the spirit of Mardi Gras, not the actual event. This is a slow time for parks and they needed something to get people through the gates, so instead of just a concert, they said, "How about a Mardi Gras themed parade and a concert?" It's no different than Disney's Pirates & Princess Party they are doing right now. It's really not that big of a deal.

Isn't there a permanent Christmas store in Downtown Disney? I mean gee, Christmas all year? C'mon, it's only one day out of the year! :rolleyes: Why even celebrate any holiday longer than one day out of the year? Quit your hating.

JT3000

If theme parks strictly followed the actual observance of holidays, all special events would be reduced to a single day. Not only would a miniscule amount of people get to see it, but it would be a complete waste of money for the parks. With that said, yes, Mardi Gras does go on longer than necessary. The weekly format is to blame.

unkadug

Mardi Gras for Universal is just celebrating the spirit of Mardi Gras, not the actual event. This is a slow time for parks and they needed something to get people through the gates, so instead of just a concert, they said, "How about a Mardi Gras themed parade and a concert?" It's no different than Disney's Pirates & Princess Party they are doing right now. It's really not that big of a deal.

Isn't there a permanent Christmas store in Downtown Disney? I mean gee, Christmas all year? C'mon, it's only one day out of the year! :rolleyes: Why even celebrate any holiday longer than one day out of the year? Quit your hating.

Not really hating...more like rationalizing. :shrug:

Good explanation though. :wave:

kcnole

Except I don't think I'm wrong. For a small percentage of the entire US population it probably is like Christmas, especially if you live near New Orleans. But for the average American Mardi Gras isn't like that. I'll be honest, I know very few people who can easily tell you the exact dates of Mardi Gras. We all know what it is, we know about the spirit of it, but its not something we look forward to every year.

So it doesn't bother me that Universal celebrates it into April. I like the spirit of Mardi Gras (as JROK) put it. Its a very fun event at Universal and the majority of park visitors enjoy it. They could care less that it goes past the real Mardi Gras because they don't even know the difference.

I am sure that for those who are really into Mardi Gras that its probably annoying. Its like me listening to people talk about the noles, or disney, or universal who are spouting nonsense that anybody with a sense of knowledge of them would understand. That said, your average visitor to Universal probably doesn't have a ton of knowledge about Mardi Gras, and Universal is banking on that, literally.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom