Universal sees 4 percent drop in this year's attendance

napnet

Original Poster
Caught in a calendar crunch during tough times, Universal Orlando took the unusual step today of announcing some financial numbers that show its Orlando theme parks resort attendance fell 4 percent during the first four months of this year, and that income was about the same as last year.

Universal put out a special statement that adds some April 2006 financial data to its usual January-February-March financial report because the big Easter vacation season fell in April this year but fell in March last year.

The financial addendum softened more troubling news reported earlier today in the second-quarter financial statement that Universal's parent company, Universal City Development Partners, filed with the U.S. Securities and Exchange Commission.

Covering January, February and March, but not including the Easter season, that report showed Universal Orlando lost $25 million to start the 2006 calendar year, while suffering a 15 percent drop in combined paid attendance for Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure.

The official quarterly report follows the 2005 annual report, released in March, which showed Universal's attendance fell 11 percent for the year compared with 2004.

The annual report had some good news, showing that Universal had managed to cut costs and increase per-visitor spending in 2005 so that overall the company actually posted a record profit. But analysts focused on the gate figures, saying Universal needed to fix the attendance slide because costs can be cut for only so long.

Some of the positive trends noted in the 2005 annual report continued. Universal's statement on the four-month period said the company's total revenue should match last year's total of $291 million, and its income before taxes and other corporate overhead should go up 2 percent. However, the four-month numbers that Universal released did not include any profit or loss comparisons with the months of January, February, March and April 2005. The April books are not yet closed.

Universal Orlando's president Bob Gault sounded encouraged in a written statement released with the April numbers, despite the continued slide in attendance.

"We're seeing upward momentum from where we were for much of last year -- and we're seeing reason for encouragement," Gault said. "Our financial results through Easter -- which is a more accurate comparison with last year's results -- show that our aggressive marketing efforts and strong, value-driven ticket programs are having a positive impact on our business."

Those positive impacts just don't show up in the official, three-month SEC filing.

In that report, Universal blamed the drop in attendance and the drop in income on the timing of the Easter vacation. Normally a huge money-maker for theme parks, Easter week occurred in April this year, but occurred in March last year. That means, the report argued several times, that the 2005 second quarter may be an unfair comparison because it included that rich vacation period while the 2006 second quarter didn't.

Earlier this week, Walt Disney Co. also blamed the timing of Easter for watering down attendance figures at its theme parks. However, its second-quarter report, filed Tuesday, showed a 3 percent increase in attendance at Walt Disney World for January, February and March.

Universal's second quarter ended April 2. Easter was April 16.

Combined paid attendance for Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure for the official three-month period was 2.22 million people. Total attendance was reported at 2.39 million people. That compared with 2.62 million paid attendance and 2.79 total attendance in the first three months of 2005, which included easter.

"Based on the seasonality of our attendance, the results for the quarters ended April 2, 2006, and April 3, 2005, are not necessarily indicative of results for the full year," the report states.

The SEC filing also notes a few more positive trends. Universal was able to slightly lower its long-term debt in the quarter to $1.04 billion, and was able to more than double the cash it has on hand, to $94.9 million.

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/news/lo...051206,0,1086798.story?coll=sfla-news-florida

beyondthepalace

Nothing new really

No one can expect an immediate turn around from 2005. The money is still coming in so thats good but the attendance thing does hurt ALOT. It not only hurts the company but every single employee in the parks. I guess Mardi Gras just didnt make up for the beginning of the year. I know around MG that attendance was over projections alot but not enough during the mid week to push attendance up.

Oh well let all the Disney freaks enjoy this news and rip us apart again

speck76

Universal: Attendance declines for 2 straight years.....no new attractions for 2 straight years.....

WDW: Attendance growth for same 2 years.....many new attractions built in last two years.....

NBC needs to figure out what they are going to do with the parks quickly....before Universal becomes a second-rate attraction.... A stunt show (is Fear Factor even on TV anymore) a new fireworks show, and the opening of a ride that was due open 7 years ago...that is not going to move the needle.

dxwwf3

speck76 said:
NBC needs to figure out what they are going to do with the parks quickly....before Universal becomes a second-rate attraction.... A stunt show (is Fear Factor even on TV anymore) a new fireworks show, and the opening of a ride that was due open 7 years ago...that is not going to move the needle.

Well said!

perculata

beyondthepalace said:
No one can expect an immediate turn around from 2005. The money is still coming in so thats good but the attendance thing does hurt ALOT. It not only hurts the company but every single employee in the parks. I guess Mardi Gras just didnt make up for the beginning of the year. I know around MG that attendance was over projections alot but not enough during the mid week to push attendance up.

Oh well let all the Disney freaks enjoy this news and rip us apart again

Lol, y are u hear if you don't like Disney at all. This is a Disney fansite yet you seem to hate us Disney "freaks." I really have no problem with Universal or its fans. Its a fun place and really offers a place for me to get my thrills in orlando. But if you don't like us here y not leave us alone and go visit Universal, it seems they could use your money. :wave:

speck76

Universal is still paying for the massive mistake that is IOA.

(before any Universal fan-boys get their panties in a bunch...I am not "knocking" IOA, nor do I care if you think IOA is better than a Disney park....it just does not matter)

The complex only started making money again when it stopped all capital expansion, and started cutting many shows and services. (is Bob Gault Paul Pressler's evil twin?)

Minor capital expansion (financially, and compared to previous capital expansion) led to a 1 year attendance spike, which the complex could not maintain.

My guess is that they expected to reap the benefits of Disney's HCOE.....a greater amount of overall tourism to Orlando would lead to attendance gains for Universal.....but this backfired....it is as realistic as the original business plan for IOA (instead of continued expansion to Universal Studios, the thought was IOA would capture 100% of the Studios visitors, as everybody would now visit both parks....what were they smoking?). Still, a year later, NBC has nothing up their sleeve....nothing that can influence this year except a firework show (only meant to increase the hours that the current guests are in the park) and a kids ride that was due open 7 years ago.

The park's big-ticket attractions that were top of the line in the mid-90's are showing their age, and have been for some time. Although The Mummy was a welcome addition, it was built with less than half the budget MIB, T2, or BTF had.....

So...while at least Disney got past its "cheap" phase when the economy improved...Universal has been unable to jump this hurdle.....

The economy might not get better than it is today....if they do not spend money NOW, they might "miss the boat"

Looks like people really do prefer pixie dust and fairytales!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:

Perhaps Universal needs to think up a new advertaising gimmick while they're at the drawing boards. :lol:

You just gotta love the irony of it all. :lol:

JROK

Yea I really think that Universal was expecting to ride the wave of tourists coming to HCOE and then nobody came to their park so they're scrambling to find something to do to get the guests there... it's sad... If Universal begins to drift away, then Disney will have no more 'competition' ... Then they'll have no need to build more attractions...

speck76

JROK said:
Yea I really think that Universal was expecting to ride the wave of tourists coming to HCOE and then nobody came to their park so they're scrambling to find something to do to get the guests there... it's sad... If Universal begins to drift away, then Disney will have no more 'competition' ... Then they'll have no need to build more attractions...
I agree there too...

Without Universal, would MGM have TOT...or RnRC.....maybe not...

When Universal tries to "out-Disney" the mouse....the mouse is FORCED to respond....

Competition breeds innovation.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I think that with Magical Express, free dining during slow periods, and other such offers, Disney giving guests zero reason to leave the property - and it's really hurting other parks.

speck76

This could also simply be the reality of the new "7 major parks in Orlando" economy.

2005 was considered the best year since 2000 for Orlando tourism, and 2000 was the best year up to that point (2006 will beat 2000)....take a look at the difference.

2000:
MK 15.4 million
Epcot 10.6 million
MGM 8.9 million
DAK 8.3 million (WDW Total 43.2million)
Universal 8.1 million
IOA 6 million (Universal Total 14.1 million)
SeaWorld 5.2 million

MK 16.1 million
Epcot 9.9 million
MGM 8.6 million
DAK 8.2 million (WDW Total 42.8million...down 1%)
Universal 6.1 million
IOA 5.76 million (Universal Total 11.86 million...down 16%)
SeaWorld 5.6 million (up 8%)

If Magical Express and Disney was the only thing to blame, one would expect SeaWorld to be down too....but they had the highest...and only growth since 2000.

Even in 2004, when Universal saw major growth (only to lose it the following year, they were still down 8% from 2000....

Universal's best years were pre DAK and IOA, when it was getting 9+million per year (and MGM was getting more than 10.5million per year)....but since 2 major parks were added.....every park except for MK and SW have seen lower attendance.....

The market is saturated.....and when this happens, the park with the best "deal" (which really means the best new attractions) will win...and the others will lose, and supply will continue to exceed demand for many years to come. I think the only parks immune from this are MK and SW.....MK is the flagship Orlando park....and will always draw the biggest crowd. SeaWorld is a park that offers what no other park can...and unlike DAK (in which people can see Elephants and Tigers at their local zoo) offers something that people can only see at very few locations in the country.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
I think Universal is also missing a prime market in the Tampa Bay area.

The area has Busch and Sea World ads, and surprisingly lots of WDW ads. Aside from commercials, it's seemingly void of Universal.

Perhaps that's just 1 of many market's they're not working to get as much as Disney and Busch.

mousermerf

Account Suspended
See? That's what I'm thinking. I don't know anyone from Tampa who frequents Universal, and their advertising is only apparent during Horror Nights, whereas there's Cypress Gardens, Busch, Sea World, and tons of Disney billboards and ads all over the place.

Living in Clearwater (Tampa Bay) I'd certainly agree that Disney keeps a advertising presence here. There's always billboards advertisting the seasonal events at Disney (Flower and Garden, Food and Wine, MVMCP, etc.) and any time a major new attraction (Everest) opens Disney also advertises those heavily here.

I guess Disney knows how to market. :)

dxwwf3

JROK said:

Excellent point. I like Universal and I hope they do well. I'm just a little sick of the parks right now because nothing new has really been added in a while that I care all that much about (I find ROTM to be vastly overrated, even though I like to ride it once or twice a trip).

I hope that things turn around for Universal and competition will be healthy.

napnet

Original Poster
Well with the Magic Your Way, Disney has been working on ways to keep you at WDW keeping out of towners from visiting Universal. I agree that Universal thought they could piggyback on WDW's crowds, but that aint happining.

I don't really think the whole competition theory applies much to these parks. It's always been a huge arguing point for Universal fans to state that the two companies offer different experiences and thus compliment each other rather than compete with one another. Even Universal's so-called advertising campaign was aimed at getting that message across: We offer something Disney doesn't. (Not that I really agree much with that.)

And, if competiton is such a good thing for Disney, doesn't that also work in reverse? If competiton spurs innovation, creativity, expansion, etc., then it sure isn't doing anything for Universal.

dxwwf3

ThreeCircles said:
If competiton spurs innovation, creativity, expansion, etc., then it sure isn't doing anything for Universal.

Well they did create Spider Man and I don't think Disney has done anything that comes close to matching that since it opened in 99.

beyondthepalace

perculata said:
Lol, y are u hear if you don't like Disney at all. This is a Disney fansite yet you seem to hate us Disney "freaks." I really have no problem with Universal or its fans. Its a fun place and really offers a place for me to get my thrills in orlando. But if you don't like us here y not leave us alone and go visit Universal, it seems they could use your money. :wave:

Don't hate everyone..I just find it funny how everone is quick to jump on any news that Universal is doing so much worse then Disney. BTW, I have been giving alot more then just money to UO in the past few years so I have every right to jump on the mouse.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom