Universal rebounds in 2nd quarter

NemoRocks78

Seized
Premium Member
Original Poster
Universal rebounds in 2nd quarter
Scott Powers | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted August 17, 2006

Universal Orlando turned around its slide in attendance during its second quarter of 2006 but still has not fully overcome the slow turnstiles that plagued its two theme parks earlier in the year.

In a financial report filed Wednesday with the Securities and Exchange Commission, Universal's parent company reported that the combined paid attendance for Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure was up 6 percent in the quarter that ended July 2, to 3.1 million, compared with the same three months in 2005.

Universal City Development Partners also reported a $27.5 million operating profit for the quarter, up 57 percent compared with last year's second quarter. The bottom line was improved not just by the bigger theme park crowds but because visitors were buying more food, drink and merchandise this year. Universal's revenue during the second quarter of 2006 increased 9 percent to $249.7 million, compared with $228.4 million during the same period in 2005.

But Universal's first quarter was so bad -- a 15 percent plunge in attendance and a $25.7 million operating loss overall -- that the good news from the spring only brings the company a slim profit, $1.7 million, for the year so far. And its 2006 total revenue and attendance still trail the six-month numbers for 2005.

In May, the company blamed much of its first-quarter problems on the fact that the Easter vacation season, which fell in the first quarter of 2005, did not occur until the second quarter of this year. That meant the big Easter crowds and all the money they spent showed up in the first-quarter report in 2005, but not in 2006. And now Universal credited the timing of Easter with helping the latest quarterly report look good.

The company's theme parks also saw an 11 percent drop in attendance in 2005, so it has been a long time since attendance has been going up.

Universal President Bob Gault credited the company's promotions and the opening of the new ride, the High in the Sky Seuss Trolley Train Ride.

That ride opened in late June and had less than a couple of weeks to affect the second-quarter totals. Likewise, Universal opened a new CityWalk nightclub, the Red Coconut, in June and a new restaurant, the Bubba Gump Shrimp Co. Restaurant & Market, in July. What's more, Universal Studios' new nightly show, Universal 360, opened July 1. If those new attractions help, they'll likely do so most during the company's third quarter, which started July 3.

On the other hand, Universal raised its base ticket price $4 to $67 last week.

Analysts said Universal, as the kind of place many people travel long distances to visit, is vulnerable to possible economic downturns and rising gas and airline ticket prices.

Entertainment business analyst Harold Vogel of Vogel Capital Management said the increased revenue from the ticket price increase might help Universal's bottom line initially. He thought the second half of Universal's fiscal year should be about the same or slightly better than last year. "Next year might be a whole different story if the economy slows down," Vogel said.

Universal spokesman Tom Schroder said the company's "difficult year-to-year comparisons we've seen are mostly behind us. We expect less dramatic year-to-year changes."

For its first six months of 2006, Universal's total paid attendance is 5.3 million, which still is about 4 percent lower than the first six months of 2005, when Universal sold 5.6 million tickets to Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure.

Scott Powers can be reached at 407-420-5441or spowers@orlandosentinel.com.

kcnole

This will all be for naught if they can't pull a profit next quarter as well. I'm glad to see them bouncing back however. So far this year they've netted around only a 1.7 million dollar profit. That sure doesn't inspire investors to drop money into the park for new attractions though.

JROK

Glad the report was somewhat positive... Now let's just hope that HHN, Grinchmas (if it returns) and MACY's Parade help bring in some big numbers this year... No new rides if you can't even turn a profit...

CTXRover

Unfortunately, attendance is still down for the year as a whole, which is bad news after the big drop they saw in 2005. Both the 1st and 2nd quarter results for 2006 are skewed because the big Easter vacation holiday fell in different quarters this year than last. When 1st quarter results for 2006showed a 15% decline in attendance, the PR dept. was quick to add on the attendance from the 2006 Easter vacation holiday to show, I believe, that it was "only" a 6% drop in attendance in the 1st quarter compared to 2005.

Now the 2nd quarter results show a 6% rise from last year, however, they have included this year's Easter break again for 2006's 2nd quarter, a benefit the 2nd quarter did not have in 2005.

What it all means is likely the 2nd quarter for 2006 was flat with 2005's attendance, excluding the Easter holiday, which is good in that they somehow stopped the free fall. However, it looks like attendance as a whole will be down for another year.

kcnole

No, they don't want attendance dropping, but the figure that matters the most is profit. If they could make 100 million dollars with only 100,000 visitors all year long they'd be happy. Obviously that isn't going to happen and the more visitors the bigger profit, but the profit is the important thing.

The sad thing is that the only thing that will really drive more guests back into the park is another top notch highly marketed ride. Looke what Everest did for DAK. The problem is, if they're not making much money, who's going to be willing to invest 100 million dollars in building something like that.

DigitalDisney

Unfortunately, if attendance picks up or remains steady, there's less of an incentive for them to add something to IOA.

From a business perspective, if they can still bring in the people, what's it worth to them?

Michael72688

Glad the report was somewhat positive... Now let's just hope that HHN, Grinchmas (if it returns) and MACY's Parade help bring in some big numbers this year... No new rides if you can't even turn a profit...

Is there a chance that grinchmas isnt coming back? It kinda seems like a waste to me now, ever since they scaled it back not nearly as good as it could be. I would like to see more of a parkwide christmas thing happen, I doubt very seriously that would ever happen however, that would cost money.:lol:

JROK

Is there a chance that grinchmas isnt coming back? It kinda seems like a waste to me now, ever since they scaled it back not nearly as good as it could be. I would like to see more of a parkwide christmas thing happen, I doubt very seriously that would ever happen however, that would cost money.:lol:

Supposedly last year was its final year, but with the new Seuss ride being just installed, maybe they'll do it again this year... I know MACY's has had it's fair share of "this is the last year" only to find out that it's been recontracted for another few years... We'll see, but as of now I'm not expecting Grinchmas to return... Won't know for sure until October when auditions usually happen...

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom