Universal Orlando Settles Lawsuit

mkt

Disney's Favorite Scumbag™
Premium Member
Original Poster

ORLANDO, FL (AP) -- Universal Orlando has settled a lawsuit brought by a New York businessman who claimed the theme park resort stole his idea for a Latin-themed nightclub and restaurant. Under the terms of the settlement announced Monday, Universal agreed to pay $85,000 in legal expenses to Gilbert Feliciano's company, Cafe Caliente. Both parties agreed that the Latin Quarter concept was created independently and did not copy Feliciano's plan. The settlement acknowledged no liability by Universal. Feliciano's attorney, Madison McClellan, and Universal spokesman Jim Canfield said they couldn't comment on the settlement. But in a statement, Universal said the settlement emphasized its position that the claims were groundless. In the suit, filed in December, Feliciano accused Universal City Development Partners of theft of trade secrets, breach of implied contract, conspiracy, negligent misrepresentation and fraud. Feliciano was seeking between $500 million and $700 million in damages. Latin Quarter combines cuisine, music and art from 21 nations in Latin America. It has live entertainment, a dance studio that teaches salsa, tango and samba, an art gallery and a retail store.

RogueHabit

Originally posted by mktiggerman

ORLANDO, FL (AP) -- Universal Orlando has settled a lawsuit brought by a New York businessman who claimed the theme park resort stole his idea for a Latin-themed nightclub and restaurant. Under the terms of the settlement announced Monday, Universal agreed to pay $85,000 in legal expenses to Gilbert Feliciano's company, Cafe Caliente. Both parties agreed that the Latin Quarter concept was created independently and did not copy Feliciano's plan. The settlement acknowledged no liability by Universal. Feliciano's attorney, Madison McClellan, and Universal spokesman Jim Canfield said they couldn't comment on the settlement. But in a statement, Universal said the settlement emphasized its position that the claims were groundless. In the suit, filed in December, Feliciano accused Universal City Development Partners of theft of trade secrets, breach of implied contract, conspiracy, negligent misrepresentation and fraud. Feliciano was seeking between $500 million and $700 million in damages. Latin Quarter combines cuisine, music and art from 21 nations in Latin America. It has live entertainment, a dance studio that teaches salsa, tango and samba, an art gallery and a retail store.
Hmmm, so he had no claim, the claim was GROUNDLESS, it did not copy Feliciano's plan. Yet he gets $85k, I love the American system of law.....:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

emmagata

Re: Re: Universal Orlando Settles Lawsuit

Originally posted by Ratcat
Hmmm, so he had no claim, the claim was GROUNDLESS, it did not copy Feliciano's plan. Yet he gets $85k, I love the American system of law.....:hammer: :hammer: :hammer:

His LAWYER gets $85K.

He gets what he deserves.

Crap.

RogueHabit

Re: Re: Re: Universal Orlando Settles Lawsuit

Originally posted by emmagata

His LAWYER gets $85K.

He gets what he deserves.

Crap.
That's as maybe, but why should Universal pay for his lawyer???? He should be made to pay his own legal expences, after all he lost didn't he?

Seems to me that as long as big corporations are paying out like this then every tom, d!ck or harry who wants to make a fast buck can give it a go with little of no risk to themselves financially if they lose....

emmagata

Re: Re: Re: Re: Universal Orlando Settles Lawsuit

Originally posted by Ratcat
That's as maybe, but why should Universal pay for his lawyer???? He should be made to pay his own legal expences, after all he lost didn't he?

Seems to me that as long as big corporations are paying out like this then every tom, d!ck or harry who wants to make a fast buck can give it a go with little of no risk to themselves financially if they lose....

I agree 100% !!!! I don't understand how Universal was obligated to pay anything to that bum or his lawyer (not the same bum as you use over there..... hmmm... I take that back. He's both kinds of bums!!)

My wife used to work for a law firm that specialize in personal injury cases (car accidents, accidents at work, etc) and you wouldn't believe some of the things people called up and wanted to file a law suit for!!!!

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom