Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

danlb_2000

Premium Member
At the time, the X-Men would have probably been safer.

You really think so? I think Spiderman and Hulk had far more main stream recognition at that time then the X-Men. Personally I have never been a big comic book person so I knew nothing about the X-Men until the first movie, but I knew Hulk and Spiderman.

Casper Gutman

You really think so? I think Spiderman and Hulk had far more main stream recognition at that time then the X-Men. Personally I have never been a big comic book person so I knew nothing about the X-Men until the first movie, but I knew Hulk and Spiderman.
From the late 70s to the mid- to late 90s, the X-Men absolutely dominated Marvel - and the comic industry as a whole. In 1995, Marvel’s top 44 bestselling issues - 44 - were X-Men titles. And that wasn’t an outlier. They came to epitomize the edgy, brooding, x-treme, antihero 90s. Starting in ‘92 they starred in a very popular cartoon series that remains beloved - to the extent that Disney has announced that they are reviving it.

Spidey was consistently popular but in a much more muted, less impactful way. The Avengers who have starred in the most successful film franchise of all time were basically non-factors. The reason the Avengers launched the MCU is because a bankrupt Marvel couldn’t GIVE AWAY the film rights to Cap, Iron Man and the rest. Hulk was slightly more popular and present in the zeitgeist because of the old TV show, but not by much.

The big figures around Super Hero Island testify to this - the Avengers are confined to a quick-service restaurant, while the X-Men - Wolverine, Rogue, Storm, Professor X, Magneto, Ice Man - stretch the entirety of the land.

All this speaks to a remarkable fact - the MCU hasn’t even gotten to arguably their most popular characters yet, a pantheon that includes just as many recognizable heroes as the universe they’ve already launched. Basically, the MCU has a second MCU in reserve.

Last edited:

My95cobras

From the late 70s to the mid- to late 90s, the X-Men absolutely dominated Marvel - and the comic industry as a whole. In 1995, Marvel’s top 44 bestselling issues - 44 - were X-Men titles. And that wasn’t an outlier. They came to epitomize the edgy, brooding, x-treme, antihero 90s. Starting in ‘92 they starred in a very popular cartoon series that remains beloved - to the extent that Disney has announced that are reviving it.

Spidey was consistently popular but in a much more muted, less impactful way. The Avengers who have starred in the most successful film franchise of all time were basically non-factors. The reason the Avengers launched the MCU is because a bankrupt Marvel couldn’t GIVE AWAY the film rights to Cap, Iron Man and the rest. Hulk was slightly more popular and present in the zeitgeist because of the old TV show, but not by much.

The big figures around Super Hero Island testify to this - the Avengers are confined to a quick-service restaurant, while the X-Men - Wolverine, Rogue, Storm, Professor X, Magneto, Ice Man - stretch the entirety of the land.

All this speaks to a remarkable fact - the MCU hasn’t even gotten to arguably their most popular characters yet, a pantheon that includes just as many recognizable heroes as the universe they’ve already launched. Basically, the MCU has a second MCU in reserve.
And three others after that! It is potentially never ending, especially with the multiverse.

Rich Brownn

It's important to remember that, when Universal made the Marvel deal, it was highly unlikely Marvel was going to survive for much longer. The publisher was bankrupt and vultures like Carl Icahn were circling, intent on picking it to bits. The fact that Marvel still exists today is nothing short of miraculous - the fact that it is one of the dominant pop culture institutions in the world is nothing short of unimaginable. Universal got a good deal, but they also took a significant risk - Marvel Super Hero Island could very easily be as culturally relevant as Toon Lagoon. In fact, that was a far, far more likely outcome then where we are today.
And it was almost DC.... except for a 2% royalty difference :D

OG Runner

Disney still gets paid for the licensing.

Not as much as they should now, considering Disney added a lot of worth to the franchise.

But, Disney gets paid.
Yes, that is why you will still see Marvel merchandise at WDW, including Spiderman, Captain America and Iron Man.
I am surprised not to see an Iron Man representation in either park. If Disney can't, why hasn't Universal?

trr1

https://twitter.com/bioreconstruct
bioreconstruct
@bioreconstruct
19m

Aerial look at earth moving in progress at How To Train Your Dragon land. Left arrow at what will be the access walkway between two large lakes. Top arrow at the on-site concrete plant for the Epic Universe project.
1647635499304.png

Aerial look at foundations in the service area of the Epic Universe project. This service area will have offices buildings and warehouses supporting all of Universal Orlando Resort.
1647635536358.png

bioreconstruct
@bioreconstruct
21m
Aerial overview of earthmoving at How to Train Your Dragon land in Epic Universe.
1647635647118.png

20m

Aerial look at a portion of How to Train Your Dragon land in Epic Universe. Arrow at the access walkway location, which will be between 2 large lakes.
1647635702932.png

18m

Aerial overview of How To Train Your Dragon land in Epic Universe. Arrow at about the theme park's center.
1647635757745.png

31m

Aerial look at retaining walls for the access into How to Train Your Dragon land in Epic Universe. Large lakes to be either side of this walkway.
1647635814232.png

·
39m

Aerial look at first foundations at what is believed to be the Ministry of Magic section of Epic Universe.
1647635865330.png

·
39m

Aerial overview of what is believed to be the Ministry of Magic section of Epic Universe. Right arrow at what will be a basin in front of the in-park hotel. Top arrow at about center of the park.
1647636053994.png

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member
Yes, that is why you will still see Marvel merchandise at WDW, including Spiderman, Captain America and Iron Man.
I am surprised not to see an Iron Man representation in either park. If Disney can't, why hasn't Universal?
Universal, according to insiders, was getting ready to add an Iron Man ride to Superhero Island, but that got dropped. Probably in favor of EU.

donsullivan

Premium Member

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom