Universal Epic Universe (South Expansion Complex) - Opens 2025

Casper Gutman

Web Slingers and Avengers Campus which is a terrible land for one of disneys best properties they own.
More then that - Marvel is arguably the most successful franchise in the history of film in multiple ways. And Web Slingers is, shockingly but quite literally, a sub-Six-Flags attraction. I will take F&F, a deeply stupid ride based on a deeply stupid franchise (both of which I enjoy), over Slingers, an embarrassment that should have led to a lot of firings, any day.

Crunchie9

So does USO own marvel rights for ever? Kind of hilarious. Using Disney against Disney.

I hope this forces Disney to open a thrill park in response to this third gate. If not, I see Comcast taking over the Orlando Theme Park game.

If at least they take up a large share of the market.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
So does USO own marvel rights for ever? Kind of hilarious. Using Disney against Disney.

I hope this forces Disney to open a thrill park in response to this third gate. If not, I see Comcast taking over the Orlando Theme Park game.

Yes, they have the rights for as long as they want to keep them.

Rob562

It is only for certain characters though. That is why Disney will open the Guardians coater and had appearances by Doctor Strange at
Disney Studios before. I believe the rights do include the Avengers, X-men, Fantastic Four & Spiderman. (Yeah the best ones.)
It's also only for the comic book versions of the characters. That's why the in park characters look nothing like their current movie versions.

-Rob

danlb_2000

Premium Member
It is only for certain characters though. That is why Disney will open the Guardians coater and had appearances by Doctor Strange at
Disney Studios before. I believe the rights do include the Avengers, X-men, Fantastic Four & Spiderman. (Yeah the best ones.)

Yes, and those four cover a large swath of the main stream Marvel characters.

It's also only for the comic book versions of the characters. That's why the in park characters look nothing like their current movie versions.

-Rob

Universal can only show the comic book versions, but the contract still prevents other parks from using the MCU versions of the same characters.

MisterPenguin

President of Animal Kingdom
Premium Member

Disney still gets paid for the licensing.

Not as much as they should now, considering Disney added a lot of worth to the franchise.

But, Disney gets paid.

Casper Gutman

It's important to remember that, when Universal made the Marvel deal, it was highly unlikely Marvel was going to survive for much longer. The publisher was bankrupt and vultures like Carl Icahn were circling, intent on picking it to bits. The fact that Marvel still exists today is nothing short of miraculous - the fact that it is one of the dominant pop culture institutions in the world is nothing short of unimaginable. Universal got a good deal, but they also took a significant risk - Marvel Super Hero Island could very easily be as culturally relevant as Toon Lagoon. In fact, that was a far, far more likely outcome then where we are today.

Rob562

Universal got a good deal, but they also took a significant risk - Marvel Super Hero Island could very easily be as culturally relevant as Toon Lagoon. In fact, that was a far, far more likely outcome then where we are today.

True, though they did use the "safest" characters for the two headliner attractions in the land. I'd say Hulk and Spiderman are as ingrained in modern pop culture as Batman and Superman are, regardless of the MCU.

-Rob

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom