Universal boosts cost of tickets

speck76

Original Poster
Universal boosts cost of tickets
But visitors can get better deals by buying their Universal theme-park tickets online.

Jerry W. Jackson | Sentinel Staff Writer
Posted January 7, 2006

Universal Orlando is raising ticket prices effective today, the last of the big three Orlando theme parks to boost the cost of admission for 2006 in recent weeks.

But Universal has added some twists this year, offering deals that are designed to entice more visitors to buy tickets online in advance, saving the park time and money on staffing at the gate.

One-day, one-park ticket prices effective today are going up at the gate to $63 for adults and $52 for children, increases of 5.4 percent and 8.3 percent respectively. Tax is extra.

But if you buy your tickets online for either Universal Studios or Islands of Adventure, beginning Tuesday, you can still get in for the 2005 prices of $59.75 for adults and $48 for children.

And this is also new: The online ticket will be good for up to five consecutive days.

"It's all about flexibility and meeting the needs of our guests," Universal spokesman Tom Schroder said.

"We want to encourage more online [buying]. We're doing that with innovative ways to increase value," he said.

Orlando resident Michael Dellapia, a computer whiz who buys most everything online these days, said he thinks the Universal online ticket-deal will be a success -- benefiting consumers and the theme park.

"I'm a big advocate of it," Dellapia said of online purchasing. "It's fast and easy."

He said he has been buying personal products of all types online for years, including tickets to events and Orlando attractions including Universal Orlando.

"You don't have to stand in line," Dellapia said.

By driving more buyers to its Web site, Universal will save money too, he said, because fewer ticket-takers and booths will be needed at the gate as times goes by.

Schroder declined to say what percentage of Universal's tickets are currently bought online.

But he said that from a business standpoint, the more online buyers the better for the park's planning purposes.

"We'll know they're coming," he said, and can better prepare in terms of staffing, scheduling and management of merchandise and supplies.

Universal's most popular online ticket -- the "bonus pass" -- which allows buyers into both Universal Studios and Islands of Adventure for up to five consecutive days, is not going up in price this year, Schroder said.

Maintaining the $99.95 price, adds another inducement to buy online, he said, because the bonus pass is only sold online.

Universal also has a variety of other multipark ticket options and Florida resident ticket deals.

Universal faces tough competition from SeaWorld Orlando, and particularly Walt Disney World, the largest of the big-three competitors.

While Disney's attendance climbed anywhere from 5 percent to 6.5 percent last year, according to estimates by Amusement Business magazine, Universal Orlando's slipped 8.5 percent.

Schroder said Friday that Universal's parks for 2005 faced tough comparisons to 2004, when splashy new rides like the Revenge of the Mummy were heavily promoted.

Rising gasoline prices also hurt in 2005, he said.

"Our focus for 2006 is on strong value -- offering strong value" on prices and ticket flexibility, Schroder said.

He said Universal had nothing yet to report for the coming year about any new rides, attractions or shows at the two parks in south Orlando.

Disney recently raised its prices for its four parks anywhere from 0.8 percent to 5.8 percent depending on the length of stay per ticket.

The basic one-day, one-park Disney ticket now costs $63 plus tax, up from $59.75, or a 5.4 percent increase.

SeaWorld was the first to boost 2006 prices, announcing on Dec. 14 that it would raise its one-day adult ticket to $61.95 plus tax effective Jan. 1. That was up 3.7 percent. Historically, Orlando's three parks raise prices about the same time and to generally the same level.

Jerry W. Jackson can be reached at jwjackson@orlandosentinel.com or 407-420-5721

# One-day, one-park price (at the gate): $63 for adults and $52 for children ages 3 to 9. That's up from $59.75 and $48.

# One-day, two-park prices (at the gate): $73 for adults and $63 for children, up from $69.95 and $59.95.

# One park, up to five consecutive days admission, online only: $59.75 and $48 (first time available).

# Bonus pass, online only, good for both parks up to five consecutive days: $99.95 for adults and children, unchanged.

# One day, one park, Florida resident, online only: $56.70 for adults and $46.80 for children, up from $53.78 and $43.20.

SOURCE: Universal Orlando

CTXRover

No surprise, other than it took them a bit longer than I thought it would to raise their prices ;) The prices are getting a bit extreme at all the theme parks. Since I don't tend to visit the Universal parks 5 days in a row (or even 2 in a row), the online deal means little to me. For others though, its a great deal, especially the online bonus pass.

Like Disney, they seem to be trying to make longer stays worth more. Since it obviously worked great for Disney last year, makes sense to try it. Though imo, 3 consective days at Universal on a typical vacation would be enough. 5 consecutive days would be overkill.

Mark_E

I was there about a week and a half ago. We had just gotton off a cruise and had one day spare in Orlando so we went to the studios and it cost us $300 for a one day ticket.That was for my mum, dad, me and my sister.

AndyP

BGT420 said:
Hello to everyone, I am new to the boards but have been a themepark junkie for about 10 years. Anyway time to rant, Universal used to be my favorite park chain I was an annual passholder for 5 years(1999-2004), but recently my dislike for universal is growing. This is one of the reasons here, I just dont understand how you can justify raising ticket prices with nothing new to offer. I mean how many times have the ticket prices been raised since IOA opened with nothing new to give the paying customer. They have had attendance declines and lost revenue and what are they gonna do to fix it, raise ticket prices with no new reason to visit them. Hey Uni you want to boost attendance put in some new rides and you might just regain your loyal customers attention and MONEY!

I don't know what inflation rate in the US is, but they have to raise ticket prices to account for that. An extra dollar due to inflation multiplied by all the visitors is a big difference. If you know you're going to UO in advance on a holiday (maybe not locals or people who do one day trips to the whole resort), you can't complain since you can still get the same price online, and everyone has internet access these days in some form or another. UO is cashing in on people who turn up at the gate and who are unlikely to leave when they see the ticket prices no matter what they are. But yes, I'm hoping they will add a headliner to IoA soon, even though it has enough at the moment to fill a full day.

speck76

Original Poster
AndyP said:
I don't know what inflation rate in the US is, but they have to raise ticket prices to account for that. An extra dollar due to inflation multiplied by all the visitors is a big difference. If you know you're going to UO in advance on a holiday (maybe not locals or people who do one day trips to the whole resort), you can't complain since you can still get the same price online, and everyone has internet access these days in some form or another. UO is cashing in on people who turn up at the gate and who are unlikely to leave when they see the ticket prices no matter what they are. But yes, I'm hoping they will add a headliner to IoA soon, even though it has enough at the moment to fill a full day.
the parks costs will rise faster than the overall inflation rate....as will Wall St's expectations

Legacy

BGT420 said:
Hello to everyone, I am new to the boards but have been a themepark junkie for about 10 years. Anyway time to rant, Universal used to be my favorite park chain I was an annual passholder for 5 years(1999-2004), but recently my dislike for universal is growing. This is one of the reasons here, I just dont understand how you can justify raising ticket prices with nothing new to offer. I mean how many times have the ticket prices been raised since IOA opened with nothing new to give the paying customer. They have had attendance declines and lost revenue and what are they gonna do to fix it, raise ticket prices with no new reason to visit them. Hey Uni you want to boost attendance put in some new rides and you might just regain your loyal customers attention and MONEY!
Note- The first line of the article mentions that Universal was the LAST of the three to raise prices. The three parks prices will always be in line with each other. It's one of the ways they play nice.

It's just like Airlines.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom