Types of 3D tech used on each 3D glasses experience?

Chris-8365739

Original Poster
I read in the Walt Disney World document "Sensory Experience Details for Guests with Disabilities" that the below listed experiences use 3D glasses. My niece has vision problems, and I need to find out what kind of technology is used in each case. Examples of useful information would be polarization type, whether shutter glasses are used, etc. If anyone can help me with this info or provide a link to a page with it, I would absolutely love it. Here are the experiences listed in the document:

Magic Kingdom:
Mickey's Philharmagic

Epcot:
Disney and Pixar Short Film Festival
France: Remy's Ratatouille Adventure

Hollywood Studios:
Star Tours
Muppet Vision 3D
Toy Story Mania

Animal Kingdom:
It's Tough To Be A Bug

Thank you!

danlb_2000

Premium Member
I read in the Walt Disney World document "Sensory Experience Details for Guests with Disabilities" that the below listed experiences use 3D glasses. My niece has vision problems, and I need to find out what kind of technology is used in each case. Examples of useful information would be polarization type, whether shutter glasses are used, etc. If anyone can help me with this info or provide a link to a page with it, I would absolutely love it. Here are the experiences listed in the document:

Magic Kingdom:
Mickey's Philharmagic

Epcot:

Hollywood Studios:
Star Tours
Muppet Vision 3D
Toy Story Mania

Animal Kingdom:
It's Tough To Be A Bug

Thank you!

None of the attractions use shutter glasses. I have seen it said that Flight of Passage and Star Tours use Dolby 3D technology and everything else uses polarized glasses.

Eric Graham

This may not help you, just trying to help. This is from Google: RealD 3D is a digital stereoscopic projection technology made and sold by RealD. It is currently the most widely used technology for watching 3D films in theaters. Films advertised as Disney Digital 3-D come from a number of sources, film, digital camera as well as animation software, and can be presented using any digital 3D technology, including RealD 3D, Dolby 3D, XpanD 3D and MasterImage 3D.

Chef Mickey

It's the glasses. Going with family I've had some people say it was fine and some that it was blurry (I got blurry in '22 and ok in '23).
Confirms glasses suck then if you are sometimes blurry and sometimes not. They also don’t fit well. The pre-show is too long too if you’ve ridden it more than twice.

danlb_2000

Premium Member
Confirms glasses suck then if you are sometimes blurry and sometimes not. They also don’t fit well. The pre-show is too long too if you’ve ridden it more than twice.

There will always be people for whom 3D doesn't work well. The pre-show is the length it is to cover the load times. I rather the repetitive pre-show then just standing in a queue.

Gringrinngghost

Magic Kingdom:
Mickey's Philharmagic

Epcot:

Hollywood Studios:
Star Tours
Muppet Vision 3D
Toy Story Mania

Animal Kingdom:
It's Tough To Be A Bug

Thank you!
What I know of off the top of my head mind you its possible to not be 100% accurate as Philharmagic has gotten updates recently and I've never been on Disney and Pixar Short Film Festival, Toy Story Mania or It's Tough To Be A Bug:

Polarized:
Magic Kingdom:
Mickey's Philharmagic

Epcot:

Hollywood Studios:
Muppet Vision 3D
Toy Story Mania

Animal Kingdom:
It's Tough To Be A Bug

Infitec 3D using Wavelength Multiplex Technology ***NOT DOLBY 3D SEE NOTE FOR MORE***:
Epcot:

Hollywood Studios:
Star Tours

Animal Kingdom:

Polarized:
1727450334902.png

To Learn More: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Polarized_3D_system

Infitec 3D using Wavelength Multiplex Technology
1727450036340-png.818188

To Learn more: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dolby_3D and https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Infitec

NOTE: Dolby 3D is licensed out from Infitec and uses a different wavelengths of color so the glasses from Dolby and Infitec don't work with one another... I know I tried, and have a box of Dolby glasses in my closet now. Bonus fact: IMAX 3D can use Dolby 3D and have. That's where my surplus work:
1727450633613.png
1727450643354.png
188400458_794065521479167_5165560927059350272_n.jpg

All in all, they use only passive systems and no active shutter.

Attachments

• 1727450036340.png
    1727450036340.png
    215.7 KB · Views: 126
Last edited:

Chris-8365739

Original Poster
What I know of off the top of my head mind you its possible to not be 100% accurate as Philharmagic has gotten updates recently and Ive neber been on Disney and Pixar Short Film Festival, Toy Story Mania or It's Tough To Be A Bug:

Thank you so much for your comprehensive reply! This will help me find the details I need, and you've saved me a lot of work!

As an aside, do you by any chance follow 3D/stereo vision news and/or forums? I looked for something on Reddit, but didn't find much. I own a 3D stereo digital camera which I've used to take numerous photos with, and have yet to find a good way to display them, either around my house or for family.

Chef Mickey

There will always be people for whom 3D doesn't work well. The pre-show is the length it is to cover the load times. I rather the repetitive pre-show then just standing in a queue.
That means the tech isn't good. That's why 3D TVs failed too.

All 3D isn't equal - Muppet Vision is perfectly fine in that application.

Put me down for waiting in a themed queue versus being forced to stand through what they have today over and over. In fact, start a "skip pre-show" queue option. I bet it would move guests quicker and result in faster loads.

Gringrinngghost

Thank you so much for your comprehensive reply! This will help me find the details I need, and you've saved me a lot of work!
My Pleasure!

As an aside, do you by any chance follow 3D/stereo vision news and/or forums? I looked for something on Reddit, but didn't find much. I own a 3D stereo digital camera which I've used to take numerous photos with, and have yet to find a good way to display them, either around my house or for family.
I don't really follow the latest in 3D as a lot of the tool sets have been depreciated for consumers since the 3D market has pretty much died. Even in my latest tests for YouTube for example, 3D Upload is very much broken even when following their official guide. In the Bluray market, Cyberpower and NVidia have dropped consumer 3D Support so you would need to run older versions to get it to work, and 3D Displays are non-existent these days. I also used to dabble in doing some 3D post conversion media, and admittedly still run a LG Cinema Display 3DTV but beyond that, I don't do much in the 3D Realm outside of audio.

In your case, beyond getting a old polarized 3DTV where someone would need to watch the photos with glasses, I don't see much going forward unless you were to use a VR headset. There is old Nintendo 3DS Software they may work, but I've sparingly used it. But, yeah the 3D market these days are just Virtual Reality headsets, where it's an individualized experience, and in your case it should be easier since you can keep them in the same photo, but beyond that pretty much hard to do.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom