TV's In Queue Lines Needed

Crockett

Banned
Original Poster
Got back from enjoying a fun daytrip to Six Flags in Atlanta this past Sunday (8/21). Visiting regional parks such as SFOG makes me appreciate more & more what we get at Disney. While the park has cleaned up over the past couple of seasons...it still needs help.

There is, however, one aspect I've always noticed about Six Flags & some other regional parks that I wish Disney would take after: Televisions in the queue lines.

Being the last weekend before the majority of schools started back...it was a bit on the crowded side Sunday, needless to say. Having television sets in the waiting lines made them much less on the frustrating side. I'm not talking about pre-show TV's, or interactive TV screens. I'm talking about the way Six Flags does it where guests can watch baseball games or MTV while waiting in line. Some TV's were playing music videos, others had sports stations on. Yet others were playing just random clips from HBO, stand-up comedians, and random advertisements of upcoming festivals on park.

In a nutshell, this really made the lines seem that much quicker. You spend more time engulfed in the comedian on screen, the baseball game being played, or music videos being shown, that you "forget" about the line. Next thing you know... it's time to board the coaster.

While Disney does a remarkable job with line theming and creating story while even in the queue of an attraction, this method of having TV sets for guests to watch random entertainment while IN line would possibly benefit parks & guests. Pretty decorations & theming will not hold most children's attention in line like a cartoon short can. And it would be a lot cheaper of an option than going all-out with theming just for what... a queue??

So out of all the things Six Flags parks do wrong (more than less), this is one thing the park chain does right. And quite possibly the only time I observe something at a SF park and think: "Disney should adopt this idea".

Bring TV's to queue lines at WDW.

Krack

I have to admit this is a first. I never, ever, thought I'd see the day where someone was longing for Six Flag-style queues in WDW.

David S.

Not to shoot down your idea, but those baseball games and music videos and such bring you back into the "real world" and take you out of the total immersion in the theme, "story", and fantasy of the Disney parks. Like, if you are in the queue for Splash Mountain or Big Thunder, or in the holding area for CBJ, what on earth would a MLB game or an MTV video have to do with the old frontier?

I think the new wave of interactive queues are Disney's answer to providing distractions in line, because those are faithful to the theme and "story" being told.

I'm glad you enjoyed your day at SFOG. It is one of my favorite "regional theme parks" in the country, and I usually visit it, on average, one weekend a year. I think it has beautiful natural landscape and I love all the trees and hilliness. I particularly like the charming "Carousel Hill" in the middle of the park. Monster Mansion is one of my favorite non-Disney dark rides in the country. Some ex-Imagineers worked on it, including "Big" Al Bertino, and it has a catchy theme song. The park also has one of my top 2 steel coasters in the country, so I have to ask, Did you ride Goliath? :)

Crockett

Banned
Original Poster
I'm glad you enjoyed your day at SFOG. It is one of my favorite "regional theme parks" in the country, and I usually visit it, on average, one weekend a year. I think it has beautiful natural landscape and I love all the trees and hilliness. I particularly like the charming "Carousel Hill" in the middle of the park. Monster Mansion is one of my favorite non-Disney dark rides in the country. Some ex-Imagineers worked on it, including "Big" Al Bertino, and it has a catchy theme song. The park also has one of my top 2 steel coasters in the country, so I have to ask, Did you ride Goliath? :)
Goliath 2X :) Still my favorite on park, but Daredevil Dive does come close. DD is quite possibly the smoothest coaster I've ever been on.

And I agree about MM being up to par with Disney's level as far as dark rides go. Parts of it remind me of POTC, parts remind me of HM, and others remind me of Maelstrom. In most cases, non-Disney dark rides cannot capture story well, but this is one of the few exceptions. "Stay out of the marsh!"

thelookingglass

The only reason they have TVs is because they can't afford/are too cheap/don't care enough to provide you with the awesome theming and landscaping that Disney gives you. And when Disney and Universal DO have TVs, what its showing is related to the attraction.

wdwfan22

TV's showing baseball games, or music videos is the last thing we need in any Disney Park. NO to Tv's in any queue lines.

Pioneer Hall

I would never want to see this happen, since the queues tend to be an extension of the story. In today's world of smart phones you can have all the entertainment you need if you don't want to look at your surroundings in line (comes in handy for some of those fantasyland waits).

Bravo 229

I can watch an MLB game or a music video on my phone while in line if I wanted to. Sure, waiting in lines can be boring at times, but thats part of the experience.

acishere

1. It would disrupt the theme too much. There were no TVs in the time of Pirates of the Caribbean or the Haunted Mansion.

2. When I was in a really slow moving line at my 6 Flags, it was rather tiring. Then a Justin Bieber music video came on and it became torturous. The lines at Disney can be bad enough, I don't need whatever Disney Channel star they gave a record deal to make it even worse with their attempts at singing.

Crockett

Banned
Original Poster
TV's showing baseball games, or music videos is the last thing we need in any Disney Park. NO to Tv's in any queue lines.
More so cartoons rather than sport. This would also be a great opportunity to re-introduce classic Disney cartoon shorts to generations that did not grow up with shows like Donald Duck Presents or Good Morning Mickey. Did you know that for awhile, children were hardly being exposed to Mickey Mouse and the Fab-5 outside of Disney destinations? It was getting pretty sad. Luckily, Disney Channel started bringing those characters back with some of their early morning lineup, House of Mouse, etc. It would not be too "out of story" to play some Disney Halloween themed cartoons while in line for HM, or some western style cartoons while in line for BTM. The baseball game & comedian/HBO option would be more for the adults. But that too could be themed appropriately as to not break the feel of an attraction/land. For instance, in Frontierland, only show Texas Rangers ballgames (or other western teams) and so on. Whereas Dane Cook, stand-up, and music videos could be limited to attractions which cater mostly to young adults/teens, etc (ToT, RnRc, EE).
But either way, this would make lines seem quicker, children to be more occupied and less annoyed in long lines (adults too ;) ), and ultimately, could save Disney some big $$$ while exposing audiences to forgotten classic cartoons & the like.

They have this same exact thing you are talking about at the Character Spot in Epcot. As you go through the line they play classic disney cartoons. Although this was nice there, I would not want them anywhere else. Sorry.

Kamikaze

Got back from enjoying a fun daytrip to Six Flags in Atlanta this past Sunday (8/21). Visiting regional parks such as SFOG makes me appreciate more & more what we get at Disney. While the park has cleaned up over the past couple of seasons...it still needs help.

There is, however, one aspect I've always noticed about Six Flags & some other regional parks that I wish Disney would take after: Televisions in the queue lines.

Being the last weekend before the majority of schools started back...it was a bit on the crowded side Sunday, needless to say. Having television sets in the waiting lines made them much less on the frustrating side. I'm not talking about pre-show TV's, or interactive TV screens. I'm talking about the way Six Flags does it where guests can watch baseball games or MTV while waiting in line. Some TV's were playing music videos, others had sports stations on. Yet others were playing just random clips from HBO, stand-up comedians, and random advertisements of upcoming festivals on park.

In a nutshell, this really made the lines seem that much quicker. You spend more time engulfed in the comedian on screen, the baseball game being played, or music videos being shown, that you "forget" about the line. Next thing you know... it's time to board the coaster.

While Disney does a remarkable job with line theming and creating story while even in the queue of an attraction, this method of having TV sets for guests to watch random entertainment while IN line would possibly benefit parks & guests. Pretty decorations & theming will not hold most children's attention in line like a cartoon short can. And it would be a lot cheaper of an option than going all-out with theming just for what... a queue??

So out of all the things Six Flags parks do wrong (more than less), this is one thing the park chain does right. And quite possibly the only time I observe something at a SF park and think: "Disney should adopt this idea".

Bring TV's to queue lines at WDW.

Steam video on your phone, put your headphones on, and leave our queues alone.

tampabrad

First, anything on a TV that does not enhance the story or theme will ruin the attraction.

Second and last. I think people need to take a step back and look in from the outside. If a child needs to watch cartoons or adults need to watch a sporting event while at a Disney park while on a rather expensive vacation.....I have to say, stay home and watch your TV and let the lines be shorter for me.

ChrisFL

Premium Member
Irony: Crockett hating anything about Universal Orlando, yet he wants to bring six flags style queue entertainment to Disney

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom