Tunnel Tours?

DisneyMagicRW

Hey everyone... We are heading to the magical world of Disney in mid April... I have heard a number of people talk about the behind the scenes tours that Disney offers. I myself being a Disney buff, have always wanted to see what the tunnels under the Magic kingdom look like, and how the city under the park operates.. Does anyone know how I can go about doing this, and how much this might cost?! thank you!!!

GaryT977

I don't want you to get your hopes up. You do get to enter the Utilidors system, but you don't get to go very far, at least that was the case when I did the tour.

Upvote 0

Moustronaut

Just a word or caution, warning, advice, whatever...

There seems to be a good bit of variability from tour to tour, or rather from tour guide to tour guide about how much time you spend in the Utilidors.

The tour I went on in October 2002 spent about 10-15 minutes in the utilidor. We went down via a stairway from behind the Emporium walked under main street. First off, there's not a tremendous amount to see down there. It looks like a poorly lit concrete and cinderblock utility tunnel with various pipes and cables over head. Our guide showed us a map of the system and how each land was color coded so you wouldn't get lost.

Our guide pointed out a CM break area, and stacks of packages from various stores that were awaiting delivery to people and resorts. Otherwise the place was pretty empty. We talked briefly about some upcoming rumors and got a chance to ask about any park magic while we were well away from any youngsters that shouldn't have thier magic spoiled. Then we came up the other side of main street somewhere behind the candy store.

Upvote 0

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
ok, lets cut to the chase, is there a tour in MK that takes you in SM. I know one takes you in the HM............... but i saw the 1 hour special on that a few months back.

i want SM behind the scenes tour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is there one, has anybody done it. please say yes!

jm

Upvote 0

crazygirley

The tour guide makes it hell for you in the Utilidors. I went once a few years back and was so disgusted with that part of the tour. When we got in, we had to "Shush our mouths" and "Try not to disturb those on their breaks". Don't even think about bringing a camera out in the open in the Utilidors...I have never seen a CM make such a fit. We had to walk right on top of the cement wall and in a straight line as to not get in the way. We weren't allowed to ask questions down there (because the CM's needed to enjoy their break...) There were smelly dumpsters and weird pipes and all kinds of strange stuff down there. Not the fantasyland people think it's going to be (...well, other than the signs on the wall directing you there...) I might have just been there at a bad time, but my Utilidor experience on Keys to the Kingdom was a disaster. The hot Florida summer sun never felt so good as when I got out of there...

Upvote 0

civileng68

Account Suspended
Hm

Originally posted by jmaxwell007
ok, lets cut to the chase, is there a tour in MK that takes you in SM. I know one takes you in the HM............... but i saw the 1 hour special on that a few months back.

i want SM behind the scenes tour!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

is there one, has anybody done it. please say yes!

jm

there's a tour that takes you inside the Haunted Mansion?

Upvote 0

joel_maxwell

Permanent Resident of EPCOT
i think that is what i read.......................... i could be wrong, but i watched a program on the ride a few months ago on discory or travel channel. they basically had a behind the scenes thing. on that program, i think i remember they had a tour in the background. but i also think i read it somewhere.

i want the SM tour, if they have one or offer.

jm

Upvote 0

WDW Cast Member

Speaking from experience...cast members hate that tour. If Walt wanted his guests to see how everything worked HE WOULDNT HAVE PUT IT ALL UNDERGROUND. That tour tears down every bit of magic that we all work so hard every day to create. That is why you dont get the warm reception you would expect when you come into the utilidor. It is commonly refered to as the "Ruining the Magic Tour." Do yourself a favor and don't take it. If you really want to know how everything works call 407 824-1000. The will be happy to set you up with an appointment with a casting scout, and you too can understand why we don't like these tours.

Upvote 0

Moustronaut

Originally posted by jmaxwell007
there a tour in MK that takes you in SM.

Okay, I feel like a newbie for asking this but do you mean Splash Mountain or Space Mountain.

I've heard of some Keys to the Kingdom tour that have made it into splash mountain, but never heard of ANY tours going into space mountain.

But Keys to the Kingdom goes through Haunted Mansion. It doesn't really get you up close and personal with any of the special effects, but you learn alot about the history of the ride and some of the secrets behind the effects.

Upvote 0

Tom

Beta Return
I have taken Backstage Magic ($200) twice, 3 years apart. The first time, we entered the tunnels from the main entrance, behind the park. We toured the make-up and wig deprtment, the "zoo", and then DACS and Parade Central, then walked under the castle to the central stores, then up to Main Street. It was outstanding!

Then, this last time, we pulled up behind main street, went down to the big map, saw some walls and walked right back up. Worst tour ever.

Keys to the Kingdom did the same thing. We saw a trash pipe and headed back up.

I understand that the CMs don't like you invading their space, or ruining the magic, but at the same time, that's why I'm down there! I paid to ruin the magic for myself because I'm more interested in how things work than what is actually working at this point in my life, HAHA! I would still respect their privacy, but they're just hallways.

As for the guy who wants a SM tour, ME TOO. I wish they'd do some afterhours or before hours tour where you got to see INSIDE rides, like really INSIDE. I'm talking computer rooms, control rooms, pump rooms, under floors, behind walls, etc. I'm a construction guru and technical nerd! I want to see how they work! I would pay nearly anything to get a tour like that!

Upvote 0

tigger1968

While I can see how CMs would be annoyed with a bunch of tourists clomping around in their work staring and oohing and ahhing, try to see it from our point of view, WDW Cast Member. While I truly love the magical feeling I get from visiting, I also happen to be fascinated by the logistics of an operation of the size and scope of WDW. I was thrilled to see some of the behind the scenes workings, and it has only served to make me appreciate the parks even more. Most of the people on these tours take them because they truly want to know more about how the magic is made here. So much so that we are willing to pay big money for the privelage of seeing a big underground tunnel! Heck, try to think of it as a compliment to the hard work all of the CM's do for us! :sohappy: :sohappy:

Upvote 0

Lee

Adventurer
They changed the tunnel portion of both Keys to the Kingdom and Backstage Magic after Sept. 11.
What used to be a 30-40 min. comprehensive tour of the wig room, costuming, character zoo, etc., is now just a 10 min. quick peek under Main St.

Very sad......

Upvote 0

Tom

Beta Return
Originally posted by Lee
They changed the tunnel portion of both Keys to the Kingdom and Backstage Magic after Sept. 11.
What used to be a 30-40 min. comprehensive tour of the wig room, costuming, character zoo, etc., is now just a 10 min. quick peek under Main St.

Very sad......

If that's true, its a very sad excuse. I think some people are too paranoid about that terrorist crap. I don't think a terrorist is going to strap a bomb to himself and take the Keys to the Kingdom tour and blow up the tunnels - Muahahahaha!

Besides, I think racial profiling can help there too, haha. Heck, the government does it!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom