Trip Report *COMPLETED (1+ yr later)* Trouble with the curve (a long overdue November 2017 report)

Now that I'm well past the 6-month mark for having returned home, it's time I start this TR or I never will. I only have a few quick minutes right now (before my husband and son start wondering why I have not started dinner yet!), but I wanted to get this post on the books thinking (or wishing!) that it will force me to continue.

Please bear with me...this is my first TR and it will not even come close to the TRs I've enjoyed so far (thank you, @Tuvalu, @Doc Disney, @amjt660, @sheriffwoody, @blgauger for multiple trips to envy!), but I hope you will enjoy our experience.

Next post: Intros, details

Dave B

I have to take the day before off as well so I can clean the house, kitchen, and do all of the laundry. I have to leave the house completely clean for the house sitter. If only the house sitter we had this last trip had been nice enough to at least vacuum once during the week we were gone because I came back to clumps of black cat hair all over my white carpets. I had to vacuum before I even unpacked LOL.
Just curious, do you ask the house sitter to vacuum? If I was house sitting, it would not occur to me to do that unless I was asked

LeighM

I don't necessarily ask but I had the expectation that she would clean up any messes that were made - including her own. Grass and leaves tracked into the house, clean the dirty dishes she used (she left a cup in the sink for a week and it had the beginnings of a rust ring), clean up the mess on the counters, etc.. At the very least, if you see clumps of black cat hair, wouldn't you just bend down and pick it up to put it in the trash can? Even being paid to pet sit in someone else's house, I would still clean up after myself and the pets I was being paid to take care of.

wdwfamilynh

Original Poster
My apologies to all! It is absurd that we have been home now for a year and I haven't finished this TR. I hope I'll still have some followers and I promise to get this finished!

wdwfamilynh

Original Poster
Day 4 – Monday, November 13th

If Day 4 had a title, it would have been “We Overdid It.”

The title for Day 5…“We Paid for It.” And we did!

After another breakfast in our room, B, G and I headed out to catch a bus to Epcot to meet Gram & Peep.

We started with a FP at TestTrack and G loved it! In the gift shop, G bought himself a remote control monorail (which never worked from the minute we got it home :arghh:) and B bought a new Chevy t-shirt.

With World Showcase officially opening at 11 a.m., I thought we could head over to FEA and jump right on. I was SO WRONG! There was already a 60+ minute standby wait :banghead: and G decided to have a total meltdown. He decided that after enjoying his first time there with Oma & Opa on Friday, he didn’t like it. G’s meltdown turned into flames shooting out from the top of my head (Think: Inside Out) and we ended up getting off the line and heading to The Seas where we did Nemo & Friends. Much to my horror, the ride stopped and we were trapped in a segment that featured Crush (yes, my day just got even better!)

After Nemo, B and I thought we would just let G relax in the stroller while we wandered through F&W, eating and drinking as we went. We were just about to meet up with Gram & Peep (and I think Oma & Opa were making their way into Epcot at that point) when B and I had a grand argument over the WONDERFUL time we were having. As that played out, we noticed there were screaming kids and bickering parents everywhere! I started to head towards F&W with Gram & Peep and B and G headed for the exit, but I felt horrible that we were splitting up on vacation so I caught up with B and G and we made our way to the bus stop.

We did a quick change when we got back to SSR and headed over to The Paddock pool. We had some snacks, B had beer, I had wine and I watched while B and G played.

DSC00717.JPG
The change in G was instant…he was more relaxed and happy and we realized that the kid who is so used to being in the woods with no one around was completely overwhelmed by all the people and all the things to do and see.

B tried the slide but somehow stopped right at the end and just flopped into the pool. G and I thought it was funny…B did not!

We went back to Epcot for some F&W after our invaluable pool break. G fell asleep on the bus and slept right though the park entry (the CM took his photo rather than try to scan his MagicBand – it was so cute!) He continued to sleep while B and I tried the Duck Confit at the Wine & Dine Studio and I enjoyed the Jolie Red Blend.

We had to wake G up for our ADR at Coral Reef, which was like poking a hibernating bear (Oma & Opa had a later ADR at Coral Reef, while Gram & Peep were trying The Flying Fish). The three of us shared the grilled octopus and calamari for appetizers, followed by the Mahi Mahi with a Sam’s Winter for B, fish and chips for G and the tuna noodle bowl with the Director’s Cut red zin for me. The menu was limited, the food was meh and we will likely not return for another dinner on our next trip.

After dinner, I was on a mission so we walked to the Patisserie in France for the Tarte Aux Fraises. I thought I died and went to heaven :happy:as we enjoyed our treat and I loved the server who tried to take me into buying the last 3, not just 2. I’m glad I stuck with 2 for the three of us to share because I would have eaten all night if allowed!

F&W was mobbed by so many drunks, we only stopped in Germany for a quick picture and a beer for B before making our way back to SSR for the night. F&W has definitely changed since B and I first experienced it on our honeymoon in 2004 and we were not happy about all of those who were clearly there (as evidenced by their t-shirts) to drink themselves into oblivion.

Up next…Day 5!

wdwfamilynh

Original Poster
So, as you can see from Day 4, we had some trouble with the curve. Our original plan going into the trip was to spend part of the day at one of the parks, spend some time in the afternoon at the resort pool and then spend more time later in the day at the same park. We thought we had it nailed down!

Then, the first three days, G threw us a fastball. He wanted to go, go, go and we didn’t see any reason to NOT take advantage of his “park commando” attitude. Then, on Day 4 G threw us a curveball in the form of a total meltdown and we did not handle it well. It was a major league strikeout.

Would we learn to handle the next few days better on Day 5? Stay tuned…

wdwfamilynh

Original Poster
Day 5 – Tuesday, November 14th

Today was the day of no “real” plans. But we were at WDW, so I had to plan something, right? :geek:

After G had a quick breakfast in our room (and the “must have” coffee for B and I), we headed to HS. I hadn’t really planned a day at HS because, at the time, there was so much construction underway and little that the whole group would do.

I grabbed a FP for all seven at the Beauty & the Beast show. Unfortunately, Oma & Opa arrived so close to show time, and they were seated in a far-off section from the rest of us. Nevertheless, G loved the show!

Peep and I got on the 30-minute standby line for TOT, thinking that everyone else could wander and enjoy the slow pace, but there was an announcement about some technical issue and I decided it wasn’t worth the wait. We headed back out to catch up with the rest of the family, and B and I did some shopping at Once Upon a Time. B picked out a “Meet Me Under The Mistletoe” t-shirt for me and I found a necklace and earring set that I loved.

We all went in for Disney Junior Live on Stage and G loved this time even more than when he was 2 and really into Mickey Mouse Clubhouse.

B, G and I took some photos near the tree and Gertie before heading back to SSR for some afternoon pool time. G had a blast on the slide at The Springs pool and we shared pizzas (caprese and sausage/mushroom) with a Bud Light for me and a Sam’s Winter for B. Gram & Peep stopped by to see G swim, and have some drinks with us. Beers for B and Peep; Pina Colava for me and Gram. Unfortunately, the Pina Colava was too sweet for me o_O and will not be something I will try a second time.

Gram, Peep, Oma & Opa took G to Grand Floridian Café for their dinner (which everyone seemed happy with), while B and I grabbed a quick shower and headed over to WL early for our ADR at Artist Point. We were really looking forward to seeing the whole resort and spend some time just wandering and having a fun date night. :happy::joyfull:

DSC00690.JPG

Even with all our wandering, we ended up at Artist Point early and enjoyed drinks in in the lounge (St. Michael Cabernet for me; Moosehead Draft for B) until we were seated. For an appetizer, we shared the chilled shrimp cocktail (the cocktail sauce was meh); dinner for B was the salmon with the standard sides (my apologies, but I have no idea what they were) and for me was the salmon with a substitution of the pommes frites for all other sides. We also shared the crispy Brussels sprouts with dinner (and B does a much better job of roasting Brussels sprouts at home). Dessert was berry cobbler for B and the warm donuts :inlove: for me.

After dinner, we took a bus to DS where we wandered (trying to figure out what was where) until closing and then took the bus back to SSR (too tired to walk back!). We likely won’t be back there soon (although I am thinking we should do the Tree Trail if we’re ever back during the Christmas season)…too much high-end, not enough Disney!

Up next…Day 6!

wdwfamilynh

Original Poster
Day 6 – Wednesday, November 15th

After (you guessed it!) breakfast in the room, B, G and I headed t MK. First FP of the day was 7DMT for Gram, Peep, B, G and me. G loved it (yay for us)!

B and I immediately had to head over to Gaston’s for a cinnamon roll :happy: and I picked up a B&TB coloring book (and fell in love with the Be Out Guest wine glass…which Oma gave me for Christmas last year!).

I tried to get us in as a walk-up for lunch at BOG but, like my attempt to rope drop FEA, I failed :banghead:. Oma & Opa headed off in search of a QS lunch, while Gram, Peep, B, G and I went off to race on the Speedway. B let G steer (which was hilarious to watch from behind!), I drove Gram around the track (and she survived!) and Peep got lost somewhere behind us.

After that, it was back to SSR for some pool time. G had lunch right after the Speedway, so I grabbed a hot dog for B and a turkey club for me from Artist Palette.

Back to MK for the evening, and B, G and I went for a Jungle Cruise and then met up with Gram, Peep, Oma & Opa for POTC. We weren’t too sure how G would be with the dark and everything else there, but he proved to be our “big kid” once again!

We had an ADR for all of us at Tony’s (a sentimental favorite for B and me)…
DSC08456.JPG
…but dinner was not a Bella Notte. G has some sort of meltdown and they tried seating all 7 of us at a table set for 6 (you do the math!). After the table mess got sorted out, we had a server with a fabulous accent and who was wonderful with G…I wish I had remembered to write down his name! B, G and I shared the caprese salad (which was nothing more than tiny grocery store mozzarella balls and grape tomatoes :grumpy:) and the calamari for appetizers; G has the spaghetti and meatballs for dinner, while B had the Italian Trio with the Birra Moretti lager and I (disappointed the baked rigatoni was not on the menu) had the shrimp scampi with the Luce delle Vite wine.

My plan for after dinner was to grab some family photos…in front of the tree and on Main Street in front of the castle. My favorite was G hiding his eyes while B and I kissed under the mistletoe (yes, I was wearing yesterday’s mistletoe shirt for the occasion).

We all watched HEA together (I did so under protest, still in mourning for my beloved Wishes) and I really enjoyed it. Looking back, I feel like Wishes was where B and I were before G and HEA is where the three of us are now. Needless to say, I can’t wait to see HEA again!
DSC00700.JPG
B, G and I met Mickey at Town Square Theatre and dragged our very tired selves over to the buses. The ride back to SSR was memorable…B was lugging the stroller and I was holding G on a packed bus where two very selfish individuals stayed firmly planted in their seats the entire ride, oblivious to anyone else around them. I wish I could say I didn’t :mad:, but I let loose a very snarky comment when we exited at our stop.

Up next…Day 7 (almost there)!

wdwfamilynh

Original Poster
Day 7 – Thursday, November 16th

This morning, we received the dreaded “eviction notice” which included a VERY early departure time for us on the Tragical Express :jawdrop:. Unfortunately, this was the price we would pay for flying the weekend before Thanksgiving.

After another quick breakfast for G in the room, B, G and I headed out to make the most of our last full day. We planned to meet Gram & Peep at AK for some favorites and a first.

Although the five of us had FP for Everest, B, G and Gram decided not to go, so Peep and I headed off on our own and had a blast and, not wanting to waste a FP, I swapped MagicBands with G and Peep swapped Magic Bands with Gram and off we went for another ride!!
IMG_0431 copy.JPG
IMG_0432 copy.JPG
Yes, I do really make for a bad ride photo :eek:.

We split up after that and G went with Gram & Peep to meet up with Oma & Opa for FOTLK. They enjoy the show…I do not! But that meant B and I were on our own to use our FP for FOP. Having been a bit uneasy about this one, B tried out the ride vehicle during our last day at AK and deemed it OK for his back.
IMG_0428.JPG
FOP was an experience. There was a technical issue during the pre-show which meant that we had to head back out of the room and wait for another room to open up…and go through the whole pre-show AGAIN. That is the part I could skip and be happy with! After we were done, I enjoyed the flight itself, but B wasn’t so much a fan…he felt a bit “off” after that.

We tried to re-do something we really enjoyed on our last trip…morning cocktails at Dawa Bar until FOTLK finished up but it was packed and B did not see the Bloody Mary he wanted on the board, so we decided to pass. When we met back up with everyone else, we found out that G got picked to be a giraffe in the show – very magical! We also picked up a pair of AK binoculars for G which he has managed to only break once in the year since (not bad, I think!).

The seven of us went on safari, using a freebie because our FP for a 6 p.m. safari had been cancelled :)confused:). While on safari, we decided to try Satu’li Canteen event though it seemed like it would be iffy for some of the picky eaters among us. I mobile ordered for the adults (I had packed a lunch for G like every other day of our trip) after explaining the various options to everyone but B more than once. B thought I was crazy for using the mobile ordering service until he found out how easy it was. Everyone :)jawdrop:) enjoyed their lunch and B, G and I will certainly go back during a future trip. When I am in a really bad Disney depression, I pick up a bottle of Banshee Pinot Grigio and pretend I'm back there again!
IMG_0410.JPG
IMG_0411.JPG
IMG_0413.JPG

G insisted that if I was taking photos of lunch (again, B thought I was a crazy person), his had to be included!
IMG_0412.JPG

After lunch, we headed back to SSR for some pool time and drinks. I enjoyed a Cabernet (or two?), while B had a beer (or two?) and
G participated in the seahorse race. The CMs at the pool were great about helping the littlest guy there, and G didn’t even freak out when he fell off the seahorse and went right under the water (I would have had a total fit!). He got a medal at the end of the race, which became the subject of his first “share day” at preschool after our return home.

I cooked dinner that night in our room for B, G, Oma, Opa and me – pasta with sauce and meatballs…nothing fancy. I ran out to pick up dessert from Artist’s Palette, but I can’t decipher what I wrote in my notes other than “strawberry” and “cheesecake,” so I can’t tell you what B and I each had (oops!).

Up next…Day 8 (departure :bawling:)!

Last edited:

wdwfamilynh

Original Poster
Day 8 – Friday, November 16th (a/k/a the most dreaded day ever)

While G ate breakfast, I did flight-of-the-bumblebee packing everything up so that G and I could drop our checked bags at the airline desk. We left Oma & Opa in charge of leaving our carry-ons with the concierge and B, G and I headed off to MK.

Trying to pack as much as we could into our not-so-full last day (Gram & Peep had the full day with dinner at Biergarten in Epcot before a very early departure on Saturday morning), B, G. Gram, Peep and I went on BTMRR. We split up for a bit and B, G and I did Aladdin and split two Dole Whip pineapple upside-down cakes (yay for mobile ordering!).

B took G to the Speedway while I reconnected with Gram & Peep for Space Mountain. Yes, Gram does appear to be praying!
IMG_0419.JPG
My apologies to everyone who is reading (especially you, @Tuvalu) for not knowing where the heck to look for the ride photo :facepalm:.

With B getting nervous about the time of our lunch ADR, having some pool time before leaving and being ready for our extra-early Tragical pick-up, I moved our ADR at LTT a bit earlier. B and I wished we would have cancelled. Mini rant…(1) our waitress was wicked annoying, (2) the salad dressing was gross, (2) the rolls and butter were awful, (3) there was a weird seasoning on the pork that came with the Patriot’s Platter B, G and I shared and (4) we were so fed up with everything that we skipped the Ooey Gooey Toffee Cake for dessert. I remember that Oma & Opa were not happy with the lunch offerings, but I can’t remember what they finally decided on. The wine and beer didn’t even make up for the bad experience. After a really great dinner experience in 2012, I don’t think we’ll ever go back to LTT again.

At some point that day, I remembered to get a picture of my favorite sign by the teacups…
DSC00723.JPG

We met up with Gram & Peep one last time for 7DMT before making our sad return to the resort bus.

After this trip, G and I are now convinced that Oma & Opa are “bus cursed” because they started out for the bus while we were on our way to 7DMT and were still there when we arrived…and we then proceeded to wait forever for a bus to SSR, watching multiple buses come and go for every other resort and the line for the SSR bus grow longer and longer. They seem to have bus issues everywhere they go at WDW, every trip!

We finally arrived back at SSR, but with no time to spare for the pool :arghh:. G stayed in the lobby watching videos with Oma & Opa, while B and I shared one last drink at On The Rocks Pool Bar (a Sam’s Winter for B and a Banana Cabana for me – I knew what cold weather was waiting for us at home and I needed one last bit of the Disney sun and warm weather feeling). I picked up a monorail die cast for G in the gift shop, along with a thingy for me to turn my MagicBand into a keychain and an actual keychain (bottle opener included!) for B.

When the Tragical Express arrived, I asked the driver “what if I refuse to go?” and he just looked at me like it was nuts. I had to try for a way to stay forever, right? :geek:

We arrived at MCO before our two-hour-prior-to departure window had opened at security (yes, I said our pick-up time was VERY early), but we went through security anyway. Something new we discovered is that when there is a dog sniffing the security line, you don’t have to take off your shoes (the worst part about airport security IMO). There was too much time before our flight departed at 9:15 p.m. and very few food choices from what we remembered in the past.

The flight was uneventful until G woke up as we were preparing for final descent, started screaming because he was half-asleep and his ears hurt and decided he had to pee now. So there I was, hauling a screaming kid up the aisle to the bathroom and trying to cram both of us into the bathroom and keep my balance and keep G from falling into the toilet while the plane descended…real fun when everyone is awake long past when we usually are not! We landed safely in Hartford just before midnight, grabbed our luggage, braced ourselves against the cold, found the hotel shuttle and loaded back into the truck for the 1.5 hour trip north to home. After we dropped Oma & Opa off at their house, we arrived home at about 3:30 a.m. to 50 degree-temps in the house. B turned on a bit of heat to get us through a few hours, I tucked G into bed and we crashed! Another WDW trip in the books!

After just a few hours of sleep, my first question to B (after he got the outdoor wood furnace going and some real good heat in the house) the next morning was “when can we go back?” :inlove:

Last edited:

wdwfamilynh

Original Poster
A few last thoughts…

We love WDW and I can’t wait to go back. Our hopes are to re-do our 2004 honeymoon at AKL for our 15th anniversary in 2019, but we’ll bring G along for the fun!

The highs…
Pool time each day made the trip so much more relaxing! We all enjoyed the slower pace and will plan this way for our next visit.
Satu’li Canteen and mobile ordering are amazing! So glad we tried something new!
Being blessed to have another trip with all four grandparents! B and I never had that experience and we are so thankful to have Oma & Opa share their DVC benefits with us and to have Gram & Peep join us just two weeks before (1) Peep retired and (2) they sold their house and moved north to be closer to us. G will have amazing, magical memories forever because of them!

The lows…well, I don’t think I want to remember those! Next trip, we will likely eliminate some of our standard ADRs and try a few new. Suggestions welcome!

Well, that wraps it up! I’m sad that another visit is so far in the future (and not yet a certainty), so another bottle of Banshee may be needed so I can imagine I’m there during this dreary early winter (I can’t wait for more snow to brighten things up!) Quick question to anyone who is reading and has not lost interest during my delays…does this set a record for the longest time to complete a TR? 1 year and 17 days…ouch!

Hope you all have a Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year! Thanks for reading :happy:

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom