Tripod

LVROFDSNY

Original Poster
I will be getting an entirely new camera set up for my trip to the world in December. I was wondering if anyone had a light weigh, compact, tripod that was also full sized. I don't want a table top tripod or anything like that.

Any ideas?

Thanks

CAPTAIN HOOK

The use of a tripod during December may be frowned upon due to the large crowds and the potential for it tripping someone up - or worse, them falling over it and sending your camera crashing to the floor.

Ever considered a monopod - not quite as stable, but better than hand held and obviously only the one leg.

LVROFDSNY

Original Poster
I understand the tripping risk...and would not set up the tripod where there was a risk of tripping. I however don't want to buy something that I won't use all the time...a tripod I could use away from WDW, but a monopod would not serve me well for my regular use of my camera.

PhotoDave219

I will be getting an entirely new camera set up for my trip to the world in December. I was wondering if anyone had a light weigh, compact, tripod that was also full sized. I don't want a table top tripod or anything like that.

Any ideas?

Thanks

I will defer to people who have small, table top tripods. I use either full sized gear or super clamps with a tripod head.

However, I ask this of you. Around Christmas, New Years and other high capacity crowds, i f you are using you tripod for Wishes in the middle of the street, please for everyone's safety (especially yours and your camera's) get out of the street to the sidewalk before breaking down your gear.

unkadug

Follower of "Saget"The Cult
Maybe consider a Gorillapod.

http://www.joby.com/products/gorillapod/slrzoom/

gpodslrzoom-hanger.png
gpod_hanger.png

gp8-hanger.png

WDWFigment

I have a Sunpak Travellite (which is no longer made), but am considering upgrading to the Velbon to which wdwmagic linked.

KeithVH

I would suggest one of the following:

Cullmann Compact Tripod
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/150511-REG/Cullmann_CU_1002_Compact_Tripod.html#features

Cullmann Jet Set Tripod
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/produ...n_CU_52013_Jet_Set_Tripod.html#specifications

I know I've seen people with full size 'pods in the park before but can't imagine carrying the weight. The ones I've listed with 2 pounds or less but even that, after a few hours, can be a pain. The Compact actually comes as a kit with several mounts that might be more helpful. But it isn't very tall. They are only ~$50. Anything really decent/stable will both cost and weigh more.

Just remember that, even thought you're using a tripod, keep hold of it! It only takes one guest's foot to sweep a leg out and you're toast. You could also look into a monopod too unless you want really long exposures.

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
... after looking at that, i may have to buy one myself.... Proper is a understatement there Steve....

I'd certainly recommend it, its very very solid for it's size and price, and it goes small enough to go into my cargo shorts pocket (just).

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom