Trip Report

KathyG/poohbear

My first time of 'staying in the magic' is over. Overall the trip was good, it is just hard to get past such a bad ending.

We arrived on Saturday and was able to check in at 8:30 am at the AKL. We were staying on the concierge level and I have to say that it is worth the extra $100 a night. The breakfast was cold but nice and they had hot oatmeal every AM. Plus they have a coffee machine that gives you latte or cappucino on demand.

I never experienced the middle of the day snacks but the snacks from 5 to 7 pm are hot and nice. They are basically the African food served downstairs...beef on a stick, chicken wings, wrap sandwiches and for kids peanut butter and jelly and chicken fingers. They have iced tea and lemonade out most of the day and smoothies out part of the day. Unless you are really hungry you can make a meal off this food. Plus they have 3 kinds of African wines. From 8 to 10 pm they have cordials, desserts and handmade chocolates. The chocolates are some of the best I have tasted.

I was disappointed in our room because they have given us a handicap room. We only had a shower and no tub which we could live with but imagine having little kids and getting a room like this. They offered to move us to the 5th floor so we could have a regular room but I decided I had rather do without the tub than to be on the 5th floor. Also, part of our balcony was obstructed with part of the roof so you could only see the animals for about 1/2 of the balcony. I quess I would expect them to warn me they only had a handicap room available or something before I came. Some parties had decided to extend their trip and that is why I ended up with that room. Plus the animals never came very close to my room...they actually stay what I consider far away. They feed them farther from the hotel than I thought they would.

I also realized on our last day that the concierges double or take turns on being the person to host the food and keeping hot food out. They try to change uniforms but it is the same people.

I expressed my concern on the bus system from Downtown Disney and I just didn't believe the concierge cared. I was told the bus drivers are outsourced now but then told by other employees that is not true. We were told that only one bus goes between AKL and Downtown Disney so that makes it around 50 minutes between buses. While waiting we saw 4 for Old Key West, 3 for All Star and 3 for Comt/Poly. That was disturbing. They heard there was a large group of people upset and send a special bus....to get us finally. AKL is just not given priority on bus service.

The parks were nice, there were very few lines but again, the CM attitude is just not what it was 2 years ago. I heard Disney has cut benefits to employees and if this is the problem...they had better reverse their decision. The employes at the AK park were all nice and cheerful and seemed to appreciate us being there. That was the only park with that feeling.

We arrived back at the AKL around 1 and our car was coming to take us to the airport around 3pm. We got our bathing suits out of the suitcases that the hotel was storing and swam. We then showered and changed in the shower near the pool. I realized I needed my make-up and my husband went to get our luggage around 2:45. It was not there. He tried to hide it from me because he knew I would get upset. When he finally told me I told him there is just a miscommunication...it has to be there. I was waiting outside the luggage room right near the bellhop stay when a bellhop grabbed a manager. They did not know I was with my husband and started talking about how luggage was lost and what would they do. I overheard and approached them....they were angry that I had overheard and said something like well since you were listening in. I backed up and almost fell over. My child is a juvenile diabetic and his kit and insulin was in those bags. The towncar was waiting outside and I needed my luggage. 10 minutes later a call came in that luggage was on a van and the driver didn't know where it went. My luggage arrived back. I did not get to have our picture made in front of the lodge with our matching shirts or put on my makeup. The luggage was all over the van..not even together. My carryon had 2 heavy suitcases on top of it. I did not appreciate their attitude...they were not that sorry.

Right now I have a bad taste in my mouth. The manager gave us a card that says Disney claims and told us to call/write and tell them how upset we are. I called and they say none of that is a valid claim and that the manager gave me the wrong number to call. I feel like I am due something. For us, staying in this hotel and all was a once in a lifetime deal. It was the trip you wait for and plan and dream and their attitude is oh well. I cried all the way to the airport and still start shaking when I think about it. Luckily nothing was broken but as far as I am concerned my trip was ruined. I really thought when I arrived home the AKL manager would be on my answering machine asking if all our stuff was okay. I quess Disney has proven they do not really care. I know I will only be hurting myself if I dont' go back but right now I am upset. ...and really want to vow to never return.

Pioneer Hall

Sorry about the problems you had, but overall It sounds good.

With the busses it is kind of hit or miss. I have waited for 45 minutes to get to Port Orleans from DTD. In those 45 minutes I have watched 3-4 AKL busses go by. It is all in the timing, really not their fault.

Upvote 0

Katherine

I'm sorry you didn't have a good time.:(

I agree with buses it's either there in two minutes or thirty minutes. I remember we stayed at Fort Wilderness Campgrounds and we would wait around for fifteen minutes waiting for the bus to take us to the boat dock to Magic Kingdom. The buses need some help!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom