Trip Report for May 13-19th

redsbe

Original Poster
As promised here is my trip report for WDW from the last seven days. First a reminder, my wife and I left for Florida on Monday May 13th with our two children aged 6 years and 5 months. First trip for the kids, my fifth (three when I was young) and 2nd with my wife (in 1995). We stayed off site at Quality Suites on 192 just east of #4 and had five day WDW pass.

Tues May 14th: MK - Left for MK at 815am from off site hotel, only 15 drive into WDW. As many of the regular posters may recall early entry into main street was a concern and issue with me since I recall that from visits when I was younger. As a few posters indicated - and they were correct - coming into the TCC from offsite we arrived at 840am only to be held at TCC until 845am then joined mob rush onto monorail for trip over to MK. Oh well so much for experiencing the true opening of MK at 900am. After getting to MK and passing through security then the ticket gates we quickly made our way into FrontierLand. Only to find - NO ONE !?!? Walked right onto and BTMR and Splash Mt with no waits. Then visited main attractions at Adventure Land with no lines. BY then the crowds started to buildup followed by a heavy 20 minute rain. Next went over to TL to fasspass Buzz Lightyear and have lunch (6 year old not interested in Space Mt), but there was only a 10 minute wait). By after lunch crowds really built up in FantasyLand with many families and young kids now in MK. Walked into Its a Small World as Peter Pan and Pooh were crowded. Walked through Liberty Square and into Hall of Presidents (6 year old loved it!). Then down main street for ice cream and watched the afternoon parade. Took train ride around the park. By then the crowds and heat had taken their toll on us and we headed back to the motel for a swim. MK looked in great shape, was busy but not too crowded, and the CMs were friendly and helpful as usual.

Weds May 15th: EPCOT - arrived just after 9am and went straight over to Test Track. Was already 30 minute wait (rest of park was not busy but everyone was at Test Track), got fastpass which got us on ride about 15 minutes later, first my wife and son and then me alone. Great ride, but a little short on length. Even with fastpass still almost 15 minutes to get on ride - weird? Spent rest of the morning walking onto various attractions in Future World, had lunch then into Living Seas, unfortunately crowds began to build up and long lineups at The Land and Spaceship Earth forced change in plans. Walked over to World Showcase into a few pavillons and had lunch in UK. Weather started to get pretty windy so we left for hotel. Later found out parades and Illuminations were cancelled. Lots of walking and backtracking in this park, crowds filled FutureWorld and many attractions take 30 to 40 minutes to experience - really impacting day planning!

Thurs May 16th: MGW - arrived at opening then split up - as son and I went on StarTours while wife went to FassPass ToT. The she rode while I took kids over for Disney Playhouse show. Very crowded with families and kids and lost over an hour, missing first show, then lined up and sitting in next show. ANother park with many shows and attractions that even with a short wait run 30 or 40 minutes, and have limited shows through the day, requiring more careful planning and often backtracking through the park. Did walk Mickey Lane and got great pictures of kids with Mickey and some other characters. Had lunch but then wife and baby were hot and tired (in high 80s) so they went back to hotel. Son and I watched Indiana Jones then Millionare show (great attraction!). Had ice cream then caught shuttle bus back to hotel for a swim and supper. Really heavy winds and rain in evening so no return to parks for shows.

Fri May 17th: AK - again got to park just after opening and already very busy. Went straight onto the Safari with very short wait. Great attraction, saw many animals, kids loved it! While baby fed son and I got in line with 1,000 other families and kids for the Lion King show, which he enjoyed. The had lunch and over to Dinoland to look around (could not get son onto Dinosaur even though it was only a 10 minute wait). Watched Tarzan Rocks - actually stood at back and walked the 5 month old to sleep during this show - a Disney moment! Walked around and took pictures. First time visit for me, really nice job on the park, less attractions but in many ways more of a Disney experience then other parks, reminded me of MK when I first went in early 1970s.

Sat May 18th: MK - back early in morning, park got crowded very quickly. I walked over to Toon Town while wife and son took the train. Opps big mistakce as Toon Town did not open until 10am so we stuck at separate entrances for 40 minutes. First visited ToonTown for character pictures, got FastPass for Pooh ride after lunch (by 1030am was already 30 minute walk on wait!). Took rafts over to Tom Sawyer Island to explore with two kids as wife walked onto the HM. (another early MK memory for me as a kid). Whole family rode Pooh, although very hot and tired by that time, and fighting throught the crowds. Walked around castle and then down Main Street, taking pictures and video. Headed back to hotel for a swim and dinner. Then returned to MGM for appearances of StarWars characters and a few more rides. Got to park at 7pm but although daily show schedule indicated 730pm Star Wars characters were already gone by 7pm. UGGGGGGG. Had a ice cream treat and stayed for Fantasmic. Wonderful evening Disney presentation - highly recommended!

Sun May 19th: checkout of hotel for late afternoon return plane fight. Went to Downtown Disney for last minute shopping. WOW heaviest crowds all week here at 11am in morning!!! Managed to get a few items for everyone and a couple of gifts, grabed quick lunch then off to airport (only took 20 minute drive!).

SUMMARY - very enjoyable visit to WDW, kids did pretty well with the busy schedule and the heat. Mid May appears to be a good time to visit, crowds are managable and heat bearible - how any families can survive a summer visit is amazing to me!. Wished we had went for a few more days and used 7 day pass in order to return to parks to visit several key attractions we missed, but alas with two young kids in tow perhaps we did best as we could have expected.

We will now wait until youngest is 3 or 4 before going back. I saw too many families struggling with young toddlers to wish to experience that! Perhaps in May of 2005 and maybe to DL during the 50th Anniversary, as wife also has family we could visit and stay with in Cal. Also having been to DL with then 3 year old son in 1999 and again on my own only a few months ago, DL is more managable (size, mix of attractions, and crowds) then WDW and also provides more of a Disney experience. That would be my most negative comment about WDW, as much as you can enjoy all the parks and attractions it is in many ways too much (for a five day visit) and as a result takes something away from the Disney experience, at least the one I remember from my youth.

If any posters have any specific questions please post and I will try to address if possible.

Again I hope all this is helpful and thanks for everyone for their previous visit planning advice.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom