tree houses

csm7030

As of the last information that I read, they sit empty and unused. He is some information I found about the topic. I am not sure how reliable it is, but it's something to start with:

"Do you know why the Tree House Villas at Walt Disney World have never reopened? They were "temporarily" closed after 9/11 and they have never reopened. When taking the boat launch from Port Orleans to Downtown Disney, the Tree House Villas are still visible. The only problem is they still have trees and tree branches on top of them from the hurricanes of last year. It looks like nothing has been done to repair them or even clean up the downed trees. I would really like to know why this resort remains abandoned and neglected.

You know, I'm not actually sure about this one, William. So why don't we turn to JHM resident WDW hotel expert -- Scott Liljenquist of Mouseketrips.com -- and see what he has to say about what's going with the Treehouse Villas at Disney World? Scott?

That's an interesting question, William, and one that we get asked quite often. Apparently there is still plenty of interest in the Treehouse Villas if the number of inquiries we get is any indication.

First a little history for those who might not be familiar with the Treehouse Villas. Disney announced plans in 1973 for a permanent residential area to be constructed on Walt Disney World property. To be called Lake Buena Vista, it was to have included townhomes, single family homes, apartments, condos, a shopping area, and recreation facilities. The 60 Treehouse Villas were built in 1975 as a part of this project, which was renamed the Village Resort in 1985 when the original residential concept was abandoned.

The Treehouse Villas are two-story, octagonal-shaped structures that feature 3 bedrooms, a living room area, full kitchen, dining area, and two bathrooms. Located right on the bank of the Sassagoula River, each Treehouse Villa is a free-standing structure and is surrounded by trees and wooded areas. The second floor is cantilevered and makes for a very interesting architectural design.

The entire Village Resort and along with the Treehouse Villas were absorbed in 1996 into the Villas at the Disney Institute, Michael Eisner's "Education on Vacation" concept. You can see the villas at the north eastern end of the property in an original property map below.

All of the Treehouse Villas were closed in 2001 after 9/11, with an undetermined future as a reopening date was never set. Although given a valiant effort, Disney in late 2002 finally determined that the "educational vacation" was just not appealing to visitors and closed the Disney Institute permanently. The Disney Institute land was to be turned over to the Disney Vacation Club for construction of Saratoga Springs, a new vacation ownership property which opened its first phase in 2004.

The Treehouses, however, remain closed. Why For? The Treehouse Villas, as they currently exist, don't fit architecturally in the theme of Saratoga Springs and would require extensive renovation in order to make them inhabitable again. In addition, the freestanding construction of each unit dramatically increases maintenance and housekeeping costs.

Disney would ultimately like to tear down the Treehouses and replace them with another phase of Saratoga Springs, but they can't. The Warren S. Henderson Wetlands Protection Act of 1984 prohibits most new construction in any area designated as wetlands. The Treehouse Villas property, located as it is on the shore of the river, falls under this Wetlands Protection Act, which means that new construction on the scale desired by Disney would not be allowed.

However, because the Treehouses existed before the passage of the act, they are "grandfathered" in and may remain as they are currently constructed. They can be maintained under strict guidelines, and can be improved or renovated under even more strict guidelines, and therein lies the problem for Disney. Do they renovate and reopen the Treehouses as an ill-fitting and maintenance intensive part of Saratoga Springs, do they tear down the Treehouses and not re-use the land, or do they just leave the Treehouses as-is until a better plan can be devised?

As anyone who has taken the Sassagoula River Cruise or the water taxi from Port Orleans to Downtown Disney knows, option number 3 seems to be the choice for now. The Treehouse Villas are still visible from the boat, and most captains will gladly discuss the history and future of the Treehouses if asked.

Most of the Treehouses are empty, although some are used for storage. Disney, in an attempt to maintain a good image for the property, has connected lighting in the Treehouses to timers so that lights are on at night to prevent the appearance of abandonment.

This strategy was working well until last fall. As most of you know, the area was pounded by three powerful hurricanes. The Treehouse Villas suffered severe damage from water and fallen trees, most of which was clearly visible from the water taxis.

Disney wanted to clean up the damage with the same speed and efficiency with which the rest of the hurricane damage on property was handled. However, a long, intensive governmental permitting process had to be commenced in order to fix the damage within the confines of the Wetlands Protection Act. Permission was finally given earlier this summer for Disney to repair the storm damage. The fallen trees have been removed, the damaged roofs have been repaired, and a couple of the decks that were destroyed have been rebuilt.

So what's the future of the Treehouse Villas? Disney has begun the long permitting process required to renovate the property. Current speculation has Disney renovating the Treehouses from the inside out and reopening them at a future date as a part of Saratoga Springs.

Our guess is that, assuming the necessary permits can be secured, that the Treehouses will reopen when they can be accessed from Saratoga Springs without having to travel through any of the current construction areas.

We hope they do. The Treehouse Villas are a unique experience at Walt Disney World, and were a fun place to stay. As they existed previously they were a fairly reasonably priced lodging that would accommodate up to 6 people. They were secluded and private, and the wooded, rustic setting was a welcome change."

Upvote 0

tigsmom

A quick search will bring up some threads that contained some recent pictures.

They always seemed cool to me and I had always wanted to stay there.

Upvote 0

HauntedPirate

Park nostalgist
Premium Member
On the boat from DTD to PO last week, the captain of the boat we were on said that the Treehouse Villas are currently be renovated and rumor (emphasis on that word!) is that they will house CP participants.

Upvote 0

LeeSeeBabe

I stayed there about 6-7 years ago. It was AWESOME! I never knew they were closed now.

However I must say, when we were there I was 12 or 13 and I did NOT want to stay in a room by myself. My mom had gotten food poisoning/ill on the trip and stayed there by herself one night while the rest of us went out. After we left (of course not to scare us) she told us that she had gotten a weird knock at the door during wind/rain. They are out by themselves and we had a long walk to the bus stop.

It's a crying shame they are closed

Upvote 0

Loretta

HauntedPirate said:
On the boat from DTD to PO last week, the captain of the boat we were on said that the Treehouse Villas are currently be renovated and rumor (emphasis on that word!) is that they will house CP participants.
We were there the first week of Oct. and our boat captain told us the same thing, all though I thought he said the CP's were already using them. I may have heard wrong.

Upvote 0

kal1484

HauntedPirate said:

That would be werid...half of them in the dumps, and half of them in nice treehouse villas. Plus, it would be very hard for busing, it's not near the other housing.

If they do, however, I'd go do mine again....

Upvote 0

Ringo8n24

I understand that it could cost more in maintenance and housekeeping because of them being freestanding, but that is the same case at FW with the cabins and they are successful. I would rather see them repaired and reopened. I bet people would pay to stay there again...many for the Disney nostalgia.

Upvote 0

Nut4Disney

Here is an excerpt from a Jim Hill article awhile back, with an explanation of the status of the Tree House Villas.

Next up, William writes in to ask:
Do you know why the Tree House Villas at Walt Disney World have never reopened? They were "temporarily" closed after 9/11 and they have never reopened. When taking the boat launch from Port Orleans to Downtown Disney, the Tree House Villas are still visible. The only problem is they still have trees and tree branches on top of them from the hurricanes of last year. It looks like nothing has been done to repair them or even clean up the downed trees. I would really like to know why this resort remains abandoned and neglected.
You know, I'm not actually sure about this one, William. So why don't we turn to JHM resident WDW hotel expert -- Scott Liljenquist of Mouseketrips.com -- and see what he has to say about what's going with the Treehouse Villas at Disney World? Scott?
That's an interesting question, William, and one that we get asked quite often. Apparently there is still plenty of interest in the Treehouse Villas if the number of inquiries we get is any indication.
First a little history for those who might not be familiar with the Treehouse Villas. Disney announced plans in 1973 for a permanent residential area to be constructed on Walt Disney World property. To be called Lake Buena Vista, it was to have included townhomes, single family homes, apartments, condos, a shopping area, and recreation facilities. The 60 Treehouse Villas were built in 1975 as a part of this project, which was renamed the Village Resort in 1985 when the original residential concept was abandoned.
The Treehouse Villas are two-story, octagonal-shaped structures that feature 3 bedrooms, a living room area, full kitchen, dining area, and two bathrooms. Located right on the bank of the Sassagoula River, each Treehouse Villa is a free-standing structure and is surrounded by trees and wooded areas. The second floor is cantilevered and makes for a very interesting architectural design.
The entire Village Resort and along with the Treehouse Villas were absorbed in 1996 into the Villas at the Disney Institute, Michael Eisner's "Education on Vacation" concept. You can see the villas at the north eastern end of the property in an original property map below.

All of the Treehouse Villas were closed in 2001 after 9/11, with an undetermined future as a reopening date was never set. Although given a valiant effort, Disney in late 2002 finally determined that the "educational vacation" was just not appealing to visitors and closed the Disney Institute permanently. The Disney Institute land was to be turned over to the Disney Vacation Club for construction of Saratoga Springs, a new vacation ownership property which opened its first phase in 2004.
The Treehouses, however, remain closed. Why For? The Treehouse Villas, as they currently exist, don't fit architecturally in the theme of Saratoga Springs and would require extensive renovation in order to make them inhabitable again. In addition, the freestanding construction of each unit dramatically increases maintenance and housekeeping costs.
Disney would ultimately like to tear down the Treehouses and replace them with another phase of Saratoga Springs, but they can't. The Warren S. Henderson Wetlands Protection Act of 1984 prohibits most new construction in any area designated as wetlands. The Treehouse Villas property, located as it is on the shore of the river, falls under this Wetlands Protection Act, which means that new construction on the scale desired by Disney would not be allowed.
However, because the Treehouses existed before the passage of the act, they are "grandfathered" in and may remain as they are currently constructed. They can be maintained under strict guidelines, and can be improved or renovated under even more strict guidelines, and therein lies the problem for Disney. Do they renovate and reopen the Treehouses as an ill-fitting and maintenance intensive part of Saratoga Springs, do they tear down the Treehouses and not re-use the land, or do they just leave the Treehouses as-is until a better plan can be devised?
As anyone who has taken the Sassagoula River Cruise or the water taxi from Port Orleans to Downtown Disney knows, option number 3 seems to be the choice for now. The Treehouse Villas are still visible from the boat, and most captains will gladly discuss the history and future of the Treehouses if asked.
Most of the Treehouses are empty, although some are used for storage. Disney, in an attempt to maintain a good image for the property, has connected lighting in the Treehouses to timers so that lights are on at night to prevent the appearance of abandonment.
This strategy was working well until last fall. As most of you know, the area was pounded by three powerful hurricanes. The Treehouse Villas suffered severe damage from water and fallen trees, most of which was clearly visible from the water taxis.
Disney wanted to clean up the damage with the same speed and efficiency with which the rest of the hurricane damage on property was handled. However, a long, intensive governmental permitting process had to be commenced in order to fix the damage within the confines of the Wetlands Protection Act. Permission was finally given earlier this summer for Disney to repair the storm damage. The fallen trees have been removed, the damaged roofs have been repaired, and a couple of the decks that were destroyed have been rebuilt.
So what's the future of the Treehouse Villas? Disney has begun the long permitting process required to renovate the property. Current speculation has Disney renovating the Treehouses from the inside out and reopening them at a future date as a part of Saratoga Springs.
Our guess is that, assuming the necessary permits can be secured, that the Treehouses will reopen when they can be accessed from Saratoga Springs without having to travel through any of the current construction areas.
We hope they do. The Treehouse Villas are a unique experience at Walt Disney World, and were a fun place to stay. As they existed previously they were a fairly reasonably priced lodging that would accommodate up to 6 people. They were secluded and private, and the wooded, rustic setting was a welcome change.

Upvote 0

mrtoad

I has stayed in one in the early 1980s and really did not care for it. We had been staying at the Polynesian pretty much for the past 8 or so years with my parents. I did not feel like I was staying at WDW. Not sure why but it did not have the same feel. Maybe because at the time it was only the MK anyway and I was so use to being so close to it. My wife and I have spent the 1 1/2 decades of staying at WDW at POR and POFQ so we have only been right down the road from the Treehouses but I still think the theming helps here. I don't think the Treehouses had any theming what so ever so they never felt like Disney to me. Not sure if that makes sense.

Upvote 0

csm7030

mrtoad said:
I has stayed in one in the early 1980s and really did not care for it. We had been staying at the Polynesian pretty much for the past 8 or so years with my parents. I did not feel like I was staying at WDW. Not sure why but it did not have the same feel. Maybe because at the time it was only the MK anyway and I was so use to being so close to it. My wife and I have spent the 1 1/2 decades of staying at WDW at POR and POFQ so we have only been right down the road from the Treehouses but I still think the theming helps here. I don't think the Treehouses had any theming what so ever so they never felt like Disney to me. Not sure if that makes sense.

It makes perfect sense. When I was a kid, it was difficult to stay "on property". We were staying off property during a trip when we learned that rooms were available at the golf club resort. We stayed there and it was nice, but it did not have any Disney theming. That resort then became the Disney Institute and I believe is now for the military called Shades of Green.
It was nice to stay on property, but just not the same as our previous trips when we stayed at the Contemporary.

Upvote 0

LaughingGravy

mrtoad said:
We had been staying at the Polynesian pretty much for the past 8 or so years with my parents.

Wow. We used to do the same with our parents in the late 70's and early 80's, except at the Contemporary, back when the prices were on the high side compared to other vacations, but still doable. That was when the costs were OK, but we had to book close to if not more than a year in advance. We probably overlapped if you were usually there in October or November.

I always thought the Treehouses looked extremely cool in the photos, kind of like camping with all the luxury. I probably would have been disappointed with the distance from the (then only) MK based on being spoiled by the Contemporary, now that you bring it up.
Creepy story above about a knock on the door......hmm..(banjo twanging in the background):eek:.

Upvote 0

musicman52086

Our captain on the Sassagoula River Cruise also mentioned the use of the Tree House Villas as part of the CP, but for those returning for the upper level programs following completion of the beginning programs, but of course, it's always taken with a grain of salt.

Upvote 0

kurros

They are being opened but it is for advanced and management interns. Honestly I wouldn't want to be in there during the summer, as you'd have to sleep in a mosquito net. The deer flies along the river are awful.

Upvote 0

DisneyJill

wdwprincess03 said:
That would be werid...half of them in the dumps, and half of them in nice treehouse villas. Plus, it would be very hard for busing, it's not near the other housing.

If they do, however, I'd go do mine again....

Right? I'd live there over Chatham or Vista Lay any day. If I could have my own room, that is! :p

Upvote 0

stu1901

Hi had my interview for in the international college program (due to take place in summer 2006) and the interviewer at the presentation said the treehouse villas will be used as housing aswell as the 3 other complexes.

Upvote 0

islandbeachnut

csm7030 said:
We were staying off property during a trip when we learned that rooms were available at the golf club resort.That resort then became the Disney Institute and I believe is now for the military called Shades of Green.

Same happened to us when I was a kid, we were staying at a Hilton when we were able to get a room at the Golf Resort, and were happy just to be on Disney property. But it changed it's name to The Disney Inn, than to Shades of Green for the military.

My parents were so disappointed when that happened. They're not very adventurous and we always stayed there yearly until we HAD to stay somewhere else. So I knew that hotel VERY well. :rolleyes:

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom