transportation to&from resorts, help!

PARichards

I will be a first-timer in September. Just found out no direct rides between resorts, and I am now a little worried about 2 meal reservations, in particular:

(FYI, For the meals, we’ll be a party of 8 = myself, DH + 4 DDs, ages 8, 6, &4, staying at AoA + 2 GPs, staying at FWL.)

Ok, on our 3rd morning, I booked a brunch (11am) @ Chef Mickey’s, the rationale being that we have late dinner at Be Our Guest the night before. We weren’t planning to do any park stuff before brunch, just lazy our way into brunch and then ride the mono to Epcot, but now that it sounds like we’ll have to take a bus to MK and THEN find a way to the Contemporary… I feel like I need a new plan! We have park hoppers, so an early AM park visit is not an issue, we just weren’t planning on transportation being such a big deal! (DH isn’t one to be “splurging” on a cab, you see…)

Now, on our last night, we are having diner at 1900 Park Fare and wanted to go straight back to the hotel to finish packing & resting up for a long drive home the next morning. Would it be best to just drive our own car from AoA to GF and back? DH is doing most of the driving home, and is reluctant to spend more time behind the wheel than absolutely necessary!

Thanks!

stevehousse

As for getting to Contemporary, yes, all you need to do I go to MK and then u can walk over to the contemporary, probably a 5-10 minute walk at most...

Getting from AOA to GF would be about a 15 minute car ride. Taking a bus to MK then the monorail to GF would be at least a 30-45 minute process at best...

Upvote 0

madbrad76

**DISCLAIMER!!! These times are not my own but were found on a "disney world transportation planner" website. I'm not posting a direct link due to the forum rules, but if you want it just send me a PM.**

Starting from Disney's Art of Animation Resort:
  • Car directly to Disney's Contemporary Resort
    Estimated Time: 13 minutes
  • Bus to Magic Kingdom® Park
    Transfer to Monorail to Disney's Contemporary Resort
    Estimated Time: 40 minutes
    Transfer to Walk to Disney's Contemporary Resort
    Estimated Time: 42 minutes
  • Bus to Disney Hollywood Studios
    Transfer to Bus to Disney's Contemporary Resort
    Estimated Time: 44 minutes

• Car directly to Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
    Estimated Time: 13 minutes
    Transfer to Monorail to Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
    Estimated Time: 49 minutes
  • Bus to Disney Hollywood Studios
    Transfer to Bus to Disney's Grand Floridian Resort & Spa
    Estimated Time: 48 minutes

Upvote 0

deanaandrich

You shouldn't have much difficulty. To get to the contemporary, those staying at AOA just need a bus to MK, then walk to contemporary. It's not a long walk. For the ones staying at WL, they can take boat to MK.
To get to GF, the AOAs would be quickest to drive the car over. You won't have any problems parking. For the grandparents at WL, take boat to MK and monorail to GF.

Upvote 0

PARichards

Original Poster
anks, I will pass this along to DH. Nothing more fun than a 45+ min commute with 4 hungry monsters in tow (for that dinner, speally, yikes!). Certainly sounds easier to just drive over if we'Re eager to get back to AoA that night. We anticipated a LOT of walking, so walking to CM from MK should be no problem. Now I'm a little bummed that if we want to join my inlaws or viceversa at our respective resorts, we'll be wasting a bunch of time on the commute.

Thanks, all, for the info!

Now... anyone here expert at napping on the bus? ;)

Upvote 0

harryk

You shouldn't have much difficulty. To get to the contemporary, those staying at AOA just need a bus to MK, then walk to contemporary. It's not a long walk. For the ones staying at WL, they can take boat to MK.
To get to GF, the AOAs would be quickest to drive the car over. You won't have any problems parking. For the grandparents at WL, take boat to MK and monorail to GF.
Can also pick up a motor launch at MK to GF

Upvote 0

MaryMcMagic

There is a boat from MK to GF, as well. I've used it many times and find it easier and quicker than the monorail. Enjoy your vacation no matter which you decide!

Upvote 0

iluvMainStMagic

Actually, there's a boat that serves the loop of Wilderness Lodge/Fort Wilderness/Contemporary. No need to go to the MK first when heading to the Cont. (Though to get to the Grand Floridian they'd have to take the boat or bus to the MK first)

-Rob

I Love those boats from WL & Ft Wilderness! but I just can't remember ever stopping at the Contemporary (going in either direction) when we stayed at WL and rode them....that would certainly be the simplest way to get there, if they do make that stop. I would suggest asking to be sure....just in case :cautious:

Upvote 0

iluvMainStMagic

Now, on our last night, we are having diner at 1900 Park Fare and wanted to go straight back to the hotel to finish packing & resting up for a long drive home the next morning. Would it be best to just drive our own car from AoA to GF and back? DH is doing most of the driving home, and is reluctant to spend more time behind the wheel than absolutely necessary!

Driving would be the most direct, quickest route between AoA and the GF on your last night. Otherwise, you could take the Monorail or a boat from GF to the MK, and then hop a bus back to AoA. (The GF is the last Monorail stop before the MK, so you wouldn't have to wait through the other stops.)

I know it can take some thinking and planning to figure out the best route for things like this, but once you have a plan (and it looks like you are well on the way!), it sounds like you will have a great time!

Upvote 0

Worldlover71

It may take longer to take Disney transportation than to drive but don't underestimate the fun of taking a monorail or boat to/from meals. I know the buses aren't as fun but I bet your little ones will love the them too if they don't regularly ride them.

Upvote 0

mickey2008.1

Getting to chef Mickeys is the easy one, with a beautiful walk. 1900 at GF is challenging, but fun at the same time. It is your last night, so why not take in the sights. A bus to EPCOT, monorail to TTC, monorail to GF. Or, bus to MK, monorail to GF, or a boat. No need to drive on the last day, many options with plenty of sights. For me it would be EPCOT monorail!!

Upvote 0

Rob562

I Love those boats from WL & Ft Wilderness! but I just can't remember ever stopping at the Contemporary (going in either direction) when we stayed at WL and rode them....that would certainly be the simplest way to get there, if they do make that stop. I would suggest asking to be sure....just in case :cautious:

At both WL and FW docks there are two queues: One for a direct boat to the MK, the other for the Bay Lake resorts (WL/FW/Cont) loop. At the Contemporary dock the *only* boat route is the Bay Lake resorts loop.

-Rob

Upvote 0

Tinkerbell397

For the GP staying at the WL.....walk down to the boat ramp and take the boat to the right.....this boat makes a loop....WL-FW-CR. So very easy.
From the AOA, I would take a bus to the MK and then the resort monorail to the CR. :cat:

Upvote 0

PARichards

Original Poster
I would LOVE to find some excuse to take a boat ride. Maybe I can sell that as an alt. to getting to/from GF to the DH.

Ok... how about THIS: my kids are early risers, so despite our late night at MK, I am thinking of an early morning contingency plan, just in case they're too pumped to "mosey" to brunch- we're talking, they're routinely up by 7 at home. Sooo. Does it sound insane to make the rope drop at MK and hang out/window shop on Main Street, and then walk to CM; or would it be better to use that time to explore AoA, or... see. Possibilites = endless/overwhelming. So glad to have found this forum, omg.

Upvote 0

Tinkerbell397

Go ahead to the MK if your kids are up early but I would give them something small to eat....a bagel, fruit, whatever so they are not starving. You can wander around Main Street and then hop the resort monorail to the CR. Be sure that your 4 and 6 year old know that you are not going into the MK but rather shopping and then heading to the CR for Chef Mickey. I would be sure to be on the monorail at least 1/2 hour before your reservations. Enjoy! :cat:

Upvote 0

HouCuseChickie

A lot of people really like this transportation wizard...
http://www.ourlaughingplace.com/aspx/twiz.aspx#.UzC9ycJOU5s

Beyond that, there may be times where it's easier for you to just drive...while there may be other times where it's more fun to use WDW transportation. If you're worried about people being hungry and cranky along the way...pack some light snacks for your travels. Ultimately, a lot of kids find all of the bus, boat and monorail time to be fun - i.e. less likely to notice they're hungry.

Upvote 0

iluvMainStMagic

At both WL and FW docks there are two queues: One for a direct boat to the MK, the other for the Bay Lake resorts (WL/FW/Cont) loop. At the Contemporary dock the *only* boat route is the Bay Lake resorts loop.

-Rob

Thank you! I never noticed the one for Bay Lake resorts :rolleyes: but I'm very glad to know about it, never know when it can come in handy!

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom