Training question - do a dry run?

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Good morning! Training question for the experts: I'm signed up for the 5k/10k/half challenge in November - is it a good idea to do a dry run a couple/three weeks beforehand?

I have a 10k on 10/6 and I was wondering if it would be beneficial to do a 5k on 10/5, the 10k on 10/6 and 13.1 on 10/7? Am I crazy?

Texas84

You're not crazy. It's a month in advance so you should be fine with that dry run. The Dopey plan I use has some dry runs but they are shorter than an actual Dopey and are 3 days instead of 4. The final is 5 miles, 10 miles, 20 miles.

But alternatively, do easy 2 miles, 10K, 10 miles. See how you feel on that 3rd day.

dreamfinder

Doing some sort of simulation/dry run can't hurt if you don't push it too hard. It's not necessarily going to be about doing the full distance all 3 days, as much as it is getting out and about each day, along with the early mornings, seeing how you recooperate, etc. @Texas84 suggestion of 2m, 10k, 10m may be a good one.

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
I'm doing an unofficial dry run(ish) the 1st weekend of October! I'll run a 5k on Friday the 5th, I have a 10k race I signed up for on the 6th and on the 7th I'm going to do 10-ish miles if I can find a running buddy. I need to see what I need to do for recovery running that many miles in 3 days.

lukacseven

I'm doing an unofficial dry run(ish) the 1st weekend of October! I'll run a 5k on Friday the 5th, I have a 10k race I signed up for on the 6th and on the 7th I'm going to do 10-ish miles if I can find a running buddy. I need to see what I need to do for recovery running that many miles in 3 days.
Curious how you made out? I'm a little late to the party on this thread, but I did a dry run before my first few Goofy/Dopeys. Definitely helpful to incorporate a race into one of those. I was usually able to get a Sunday half as a race and do a 2 mile/5 mile on the Friday & Saturday prior. I found just as important as the actual running was the other elements - nutrition, stretching & recovery, etc. to help me get ready.

DznyGrlSD

Original Poster
In the Parks
Yes
Curious how you made out? I'm a little late to the party on this thread, but I did a dry run before my first few Goofy/Dopeys. Definitely helpful to incorporate a race into one of those. I was usually able to get a Sunday half as a race and do a 2 mile/5 mile on the Friday & Saturday prior. I found just as important as the actual running was the other elements - nutrition, stretching & recovery, etc. to help me get ready.

It went well! Did:
5k Friday: @ 13:04/mi
10k Saturday @ 11:58/mi
10 miles on Sunday @ 14:52/mi

My ankle started to hurt 5 miles into Sunday so I walked...a LOT

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom