Training for Dopey - Fall Marathon?

Crystal J

Original Poster
My mission is to do Dopey in 2020 - I have done the 2-course challenge for Star Wars (Light & Dark), Wine & Dine and the Avengers half - but wanted to run a full before doing Dopey and signed up the Illinois Marathon in April 2019.

The question - do people do a fall marathon before Dopey - if so - how far in advance?

dreamfinder

I wouldn't recommend anyone do Dopey without having serious mileage under their belt, so doing a marathon done beforehand can't hurt. So far as working one into your training schedule? That's a different call, and I would say depends on your training plan and body. Some plans allow for substitution of a run for a race, but others will strongly advise against it. One year I did do a span of 3 marathons in relatively short succession, basically jumping into the next training cycle at like the halfway point (on the normal 16ish week plan), can't say if I would do that again.
That said, I wouldn't push a full much past mid October. If you happen to get hurt, that still gives you a decent amount of time to recover so you can at least complete Dopey, albeit possibly at a slower than desired pace.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
I'm thinking Dopey2020 as well. I MIGHT do the Fargo full in spring 2019 or my local full in September 2019...not sure yet.

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
I'm thinking Dopey2020 as well. I MIGHT do the Fargo full in spring 2019 or my local full in September 2019...not sure yet.

You'll be training for both Princess and your full at the same time. And if you decide to run Dark Side in April, that's going to be a lot in a few months.

Texas84

My mission is to do Dopey in 2020 - I have done the 2-course challenge for Star Wars (Light & Dark), Wine & Dine and the Avengers half - but wanted to run a full before doing Dopey and signed up the Illinois Marathon in April 2019.

The question - do people do a fall marathon before Dopey - if so - how far in advance?

A fall marathon before Dopey? I haven't. Personally I wouldn't because I would be in Dopey training and 26 is not on the plan.

lukacseven

I have run a full (Philly Marathon) the weekend before Thanksgiving in prep for Goofy, but not because I felt it was necessary to training. I really don't follow any training plans. I just felt like running a full & Philly is a really good course. I typically do a 10K (Run the Bridge) the first weekend in November, then the half 2 weeks later. After that the weather usually begins to turn for the worst and most of my remaining prep for the January races is indoors.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
After surviving my 1st rD weekend - I'm still debating on Dopey 2020 but I am NOT looking forward to training for it. My legs held up great all weekend for the 5k/10k/half so what's another 26.2, right?

LAKid53

Official Member of the Girly Girl Fan Club
Premium Member
After surviving my 1st rD weekend - I'm still debating on Dopey 2020 but I am NOT looking forward to training for it. My legs held up great all weekend for the 5k/10k/half so what's another 26.2, right?

That's the thinking...

lukacseven

Honestly, the worst part about Dopey isn't the actual physical aspect of running. I was more exhausted from waking up at 3:30 AM for 5 days straight (had a 6:00 am flight to MCO on Wednesday) and then spending the remainder of the days walking around the parks. It was a lot of stress planning meals and staying hydrated throughout the days. Running was the easy part.

DznyGrlSD

In the Parks
Yes
Honestly, the worst part about Dopey isn't the actual physical aspect of running. I was more exhausted from waking up at 3:30 AM for 5 days straight (had a 6:00 am flight to MCO on Wednesday) and then spending the remainder of the days walking around the parks. It was a lot of stress planning meals and staying hydrated throughout the days. Running was the easy part.

I noticed that as well (getting up early, staying hydrated) Except Dopey - I don't plan on doing the 5Ks again.

Edit: walking around the parks actually HELPED my legs! I was shocked.

Texas84

By day 4 I'm acclimated to the early time. And surprisingly strong. Though by about mile 22 I want to curl up in a ball on the side of the road and sleep. So I take a long walk break to recover, grab a Tylenol at the med tent, and finish strong.

My strategy has been 5K then parks, 10K then parks, half then go to the room and stay off my feet as much as possible and eat right. The value food courts are great for this. After the full back to the parks and show off your medal.

Do the Dopey. It's an amazing feeling finishing up though the crowds at Epcot. Goofy was actually tougher because I didn't have those early warmup runs.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom