Tours worth trying?

JohnD

I'm going back to WDW in December and thought it would be a good time to mix it up with some tours I've never done. Any suggestions?

To help, these are the ones I have done: Keys to the Kingdom, UnDISCOVERed Future World, Behind the Seeds, and Wild Africa Trek.

Here are some I'm thinking about:
  • Backstage Magic
  • Disney D-LIghts
  • Marceline to Magic
  • Behind the Steam Trains
Thoughts?

JohnD

Original Poster
I've heard good things about the Backstage Magic one, I'm thinking about taking that one myself so I'd love to hear what others have to say.

I'm looking at either that one or Disney D-Lights on the same day. As D-Lights is seasonal, I'm leaning to that one (which also includes the Candlelight Processional AND reserved viewing of Illuminations with the holiday tag). But I do want to hear about Backstage Magic.

Upvote 0

nickys

Premium Member
I did World Showcase, Destinations Discovered on New Year's Day.

I really enjoyed it. It's an early start, but we had WS to ourselves (bar those heading to early breakfasts at Akershus) until we reached Japan and France. Even then it was fine as we had headsets so could still hear our guide. Although I have to say I would have happily started an hour earlier to get it all to ourselves.

There was a mixture of backstage and onstage parts, and being New Year's that was a bit unusual. The barges were still out in the lagoon and the Millenium Tent was still all set up with the ice sculptures. We were really lucky too in having the co-creator of the tour be our guide. Lunch was at Rose and Crown, and we then finished the tour in Canada, and she took us in the back way to Soarin and we joined the line in the pre-show room.

Another highlight though can't be guaranteed. There was a wedding going on in the Italy pavilion, with Cinderella's coach and white horses, footmen and decorations to die for. We got to watch from Germany so as not to intrude. We then played the "guess how much that cost" game with the guide. (Answer - $$$$$$$)!

Without that, I think we would have actually got to the UK on the tour before 11am and the crowds coming in.

Definitely worthwhile if you like WS.

Upvote 0

Oh bother!

We did marcline to magic kingdom in March.
We really enjoyed it, particularly getting to see and learn so much about HM.
I liked that is was a morning tour, as opposed to most of the day when we did keys to the kingdom, as you had plenty of time for other parks or activities afterwards.

Upvote 0

Tiggertoo56

I did Backstage Magic a few years ago (did Keys to the Kingdom previous to this) and it was very good, however I did prefer the KTTK tour. BM was good, and interesting - we had an Imagineer leading the tour who was very knowledgeable. Looking forward to doing another in October during my next visit but not sure which one as yet.

Upvote 0

Herdman

We recently did the Starlight Safari at the Animal Kingdom Lodge and had a great time. You really get a closeup look at the animals with the night vision goggles they give you. A couple times we could have literally touched the giraffes from our truck. I would highly recommend.

Upvote 0

Bairstow

Backstage Magic is especially interesting if you're into audio animatronics or the mechanical side of things. When we did it 5 years ago we ended up seeing backstage at the "War Wagon" machinery that makes the American Adventure run, the maintenance bay of Tower of Terror, and the Willy Wonka's Chocolate Factory that is Central Shops, where the animatronics from the Jungle Cruise and the then-unopened Mine Train ride were being worked on. You spend a little time in the utilidoors, too.

Upvote 0

harryk

Have done Backstage Magic a few times and it is all about the guide - I've had great guides and not so great guides - it all depends on them. Will do it again because each guide provides more information, totally depends on where their interests are. I really miss the old tour through the original MGM Studios when you actually saw how movies were made and the artists drawing and coloring in the cells for upcoming movies. But that is water over the dam now that they (management) is getting away from informing the public to raising money instead - i.e. Walt is gone.
My family has done almost all the tours offered over the years. There is not one that we found not worth the expense.

Upvote 0
The Steam Train tour is fantastic. You get the history of the locomotives, learn about Walt's love of trains, see the "roundhouse", and really get a feel for how the trains fit into the story of the Magic Kingdom. We also did a Keys to the Kingdom tour, and the Futureland tour at Epcot. You really cant go wrong with any of them.

Upvote 0

JohnD

Original Poster
The Steam Train tour is fantastic. You get the history of the locomotives, learn about Walt's love of trains, see the "roundhouse", and really get a feel for how the trains fit into the story of the Magic Kingdom. We also did a Keys to the Kingdom tour, and the Futureland tour at Epcot. You really cant go wrong with any of them.

I’m leaning to the train tour. I’ve done the others. I’ve held off because of the early start but recently I’ve become an early riser so might be more doable for me. From what I’ve read, I’m better off driving to the Contemporary and walking to MK than waiting for a bus.

Upvote 0

StarshipDisney

We splurged for the new AK Ultimate Nights of Adventure Tour on our upcoming trip. This is the only way to insure you get to ride both FOP and NRJ on the same day with FP service (also includes EE, KS, and Dinosaur) as well as a light dinner.

Hopefully I can get a regular FP for FOP earlier in the day so that way we are guaranteed to ride it twice with minimal wait. I am thinking it should make for a great day at AK.

Upvote 0

JohnD

Original Poster
We splurged for the new AK Ultimate Nights of Adventure Tour on our upcoming trip. This is the only way to insure you get to ride both FOP and NRJ on the same day with FP service (also includes EE, KS, and Dinosaur) as well as a light dinner.

Hopefully I can get a regular FP for FOP earlier in the day so that way we are guaranteed to ride it twice with minimal wait. I am thinking it should make for a great day at AK.

I'm leaning toward Disney's Holiday D-Lights (includes Candlelight Processional and Illuminations with holiday tag) on December 10 and Behind the Steam Trains tour on December 13, neither of which I have done. The AK Night of Adventure also sounds cool which I could do on my AK day on December 12. (I have MVMCP planned for December 11).

So, with Holiday D-Lights on 12/10 ($249), MVMCP on 12/11 ($94), AK Night of Adventure on 12/12 ($249) and Steam Trains ($54), costs would be adding up.

Last edited:
Upvote 0

StarshipDisney

So, with Holiday D-Lights on 12/10 ($249), MVMCP on 12/11 ($94), AK Night of Adventure on 12/12 ($249) and Steam Trains ($54), costs would be adding up.

That is so very easy to do at Disney! This thread specifically mentioned tours so I did not cover our additional plans for the Highway in the Sky Dine Around at Contemporary Resort, Carriage Ride at Port Orleans Resort, Fantasmic Dessert & VIP Viewing Experience at HS, as well as an Amphicar ride at Disney Springs...yes all that does indeed begin to add up over and above the basic cost of a Disney Vacation Package.

But...since I can only go to Disney once every couple years I do try to splurge a little. :)

Upvote 0

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom