Too Safe?

DisneyGlennB

Original Poster
Don't stand on that curb. No sitting in line. Keep walking, keep walking. Only walk on the right hand side. You can't go that way during 10 minutes before the parade. I heard every one of these during my 1 day at DHS. I have to tell myself, the poor CMs are just doing their jobs so don't yell at them. Disney seems to really want to control their guests more than ever. Am I the only one this bothers?

coolmark18

It shouldn't bother you as -like you say - they are looking out for YOUR safety and the safety of others. There are a lot of idiots in this world.

ScoutN

OV 104
Premium Member
Inhibiting the flow or pedestrain traffic and/or a parade is not a good thing. People are ignorant and will not think twice about completely blocking the path. Kudos to Disney!

DisneyGlennB

Original Poster
The idiots are in the planters and run to dance in the parade. Saw a guy join in the parade at DHS last week. He had to be pulled out:lol:

powlessfamily4

Sounds like good risk management to me. Can you imagine the lawsuits they would have. "Your honor, Disney employees didn't warn my client that standing in front of a parade float could cause them injury". Hahahaha :)

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
If you were to look at the number of ridiculous lawsuits filed against Disney every month you would not question it for a second. I am surprised crash helmets and full padding and not handed out at the entrances.

I think it is smart of Disney to keep everyone in control ( as animal would say :)
There are so many people at the parks that they never know what someone is going to do!

DisneyGlennB

Original Poster
15 years ago I could stand on a 10" curb. I could walk on the left side of the street. I'm not just talking about parades.:hammer: What's up with one way traffic? The bathroom is that way.

Master Yoda

Pro Star Wars geek.
Premium Member
15 years ago I could stand on a 10" curb. I could walk on the left side of the street. I'm not just talking about parades.:hammer: What's up with one way traffic? The bathroom is that way.
That is simple crowd control. When volume reaches a certain point you have to go with one way traffic. Otherwise traffic will back up, people get trampled, parties (especially little kids) get separated, etc.

DisneyGlennB

Original Poster
I'm shocked I'm alone on this one. I've been reading here for years and heard lots of dumb complaints. I have few complaints. I even like the Brazilians.

rct247

Things You are Told Not to Do or Asked to Do for Safety Reason:
[All of the ones I list are listed because I have seen the consequences of why Disney says or does what they do.]

-"Do not sit on the ropes/chains." ... I've seen them break.
-"Please say to your right." ...People going where ever they want causes an even worse traffic jam.
-"Do not climb over or under the ropes/chains." ...See people trip or get clotheslined.
-"Do not run." ...Seen people wipeout.
-"Keep your hands, arms, feet, and legs inside the vehicle." ...Had a ride stop.
-"Remain seated at all time." ...Had a ride stop.
-"Please don't sit on the trash cans." ...Seen it tip over.
-"One way traffic please. Please turn around." ...Traffic jams
-"No chairs on the parade route." ...See people get up and trip over them.
-"Only one person is permitted to ride the ECV." ...Little girl fell off & another case where it broke down.
-"No stroller parking here." ...Caused a massive traffic jam at a theater exit.
-"Do not walk on top of the bleachers." ...Seen WAY too many people faceplant.
-"Do not stand/sit on the edge of the bridge railing." ...Seen someone fall into the water.
-"You have to finish your food & drink before you enter." ...Drink spill caused an entire ride to go down until it was cleaned up.
-"Everyone sitting on the floor, please stand up so people will not trip over." ...People do indeed trip over you.
-"Go all the way down to the end of the row." ...Held up the show, caused arguements, and caused a person to trip over another persons feet.

And those are just ones I remember seeing what happens when you don't follow the rules.

dreamfinder

Thank the lawyers. Someone sues because something happened to them, lawyers implement changes to prevent that same law suit from proceeding in the future.
Also thank people completely shutting off. So many people think that the rules don't apply them, (or common courtesy for that matter) its just easier to get everyone like a herd of lemmings. One person stops walking because they found a great spot to watch the parade, suddenly their friend stops, and next thing you know, the entire walkway is blocked by this group waiting to see the parade. Same thing with the shows. If people moved all the way over themselves to make room for the others entering our of courtesy, the CM's wouldn't need to keep repeating it every minute.

DisneyGlennB

Original Poster
Wanna get specific. I came out of the bathroom 10 minutes before the parade and was told I could not go "that way". I was not crossing the road but did want to get back to my family. I came from that way.

bamillerpa

While I understand why they want everyone to move all away across the row, I do get upset with this at times. When they have a show (such as Indiana Jones) where they say to arrive early for the best seat they still make everyone move to get the people in who arrive at the last minute. This at times mean that the good seat that you waited around for was now handed to someone else that decided to show up two minutes before the show begins. We ended up behind a post once because of this.

wsmith1978

What bothers me more is when people don't listen. During Wishes one night there was this group of 20-something's sitting on the ground in front of the castle. One of the CM's was asking people to stand up. They wouldn't. She specifically walked up to them and asked them again. They still woudn't. They just sat there and looked at her, and laughed in her face. I felt so bad for her and almost said something to them. But I wasn't about to spoil any moment at MK by having an altercation with someone.

Another thing that DRIVES ME CRAZY is when they do push people back during the parade - off the curb, for example - and they slowly (stupidly) make their way right back to where they were without even realizing it. It's the #1 reason why I wouldn't make a good CM. People's stupidity would send me over the edge.

TheBeatles

It's only annoying if people don't listen. That's when you have to hear it over and over again.

The way I see it, there had to be some incident that occurred in the past to warrant the current protocol.

C&D

I think it may just be Disney, keeping 'common senses', common; there is a narrow margin between a crowd (and a mob). Just a thought.

Tom Morrow

us2briggs, I noticed you were just at WDW for the Christmas/New Years crowds. That is the busiest week of the year and you will indeed see a huge increase in traffic directing, crowd controlling, and the like.

Go on a slow or average day and you likely won't hear much of any of this, save for during parades.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom