Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

RandySavage

TDL released an updated map showing what the new, improved entry plaza will look like.

First the current situation: Original entry on left, construction on right half:
DyD0XHxUcAEOLHP.jpg

Then, later this year, Completed right half open and construction begins on left:
DyD0XZiVAAMBgpT.jpg

ThemeParkTraveller

I assume there are also plans to modernize the entrance gates at TDS soon after? OLC wanted the new TDL entrance done by the time they open its new expansion in 2020, so I assume TDS will get the same treatment completed before its mega-expansion opens in 2023.

RandySavage

^I'm not sure what the impetus for the TDL gate change was (maybe someone here does), so I don't know if/why they would want to make any changes to the TDS entry. TDL's new area will look nicer, with more Victorian elements and brick paving vs asphalt. Was it for aesthetic purposes alone?

ThemeParkTraveller

^I'm not sure what the impetus for the TDL gate change was (maybe someone here does), so I don't know if/why they would want to make any changes to the TDS entry. TDL's new area will look nicer, with more Victorian elements and brick paving vs asphalt. Was it for aesthetic purposes alone?

The primary purpose was to hasten/streamline the process of buying tickets and entering the park, especially as the resort gears up to attract a record number of visitors (with an increasingly growing share of international guests). The visual improvement was just a side benefit.

To improve the flow of guests into the park and enhance accessibility for foreign tourists. The redesign promises the following:

• The number of entrance/exit gates will be increased from 48 to 54 gates
  • A photo recognition system will speed up entry for Annual Passport holders
  • 12 new ticket vending machines will offer a faster way to buy tickets and will display options in Japanese, English, Chinese (Simplified and Traditional), Korean, Thai, and Indonesian
  • The number of staffed ticket booths will decrease from 32 to 6, with staff focusing on helping people using the vending machines instead
  • Flap ticket gates will replace the current turnstiles

EarthboundChild

Okay so now FROZEN 2 is out and i’ve gotta it really might into DisneySea expansion.
I really hope that Frozen 2 would be incorporated into the Parks with Paris, Hong Kong and Tokyo all getting Frozen-themed expansions... or at least one of them. I also hope they aren't all just going to copy Frozen Ever After to save costs. The description given for Tokyo DisneySea's expansion makes it sound like it will just be that:
"A heartwarming new attraction will take guests by boat to experience the story of Elsa and Anna while enjoying iconic songs from the hit film..."

I can kind of understand that since they've been making a ton of huge investments. Aside from the FantaSea port we're getting the large Beauty and the Beast expansion with ambitious eTicket and an adaption of Soarin'. Meanwhile the new port itself will be getting three original attractions (1 for Tangled, 2 for Peter Pan/Tinkerbell). That's a lot in the next three years.

Last edited:

ThemeParkTraveller

I really hope that Frozen 2 would be incorporated into the Parks with Paris, Hong Kong and Tokyo all getting Frozen-themed expansions... or at least one of them. I also hope they aren't all just going to copy Frozen Ever After to save costs. The description given for Tokyo DisneySea's expansion makes it sound like it will just be that:
"A heartwarming new attraction will take guests by boat to experience the story of Elsa and Anna while enjoying iconic songs from the hit film..."

I can kind of understand that since they've been making a ton of huge investments. Aside from the FantaSea port we're getting the large Beauty and the Beast expansion with ambitious eTicket and an adaption of Soarin'. Meanwhile the new port itself will be getting three original attractions (1 for Tangled, 2 for Peter Pan/Tinkerbell). That's a lot in the next three years.

Hong Kong and Paris are rumored to be getting a near-direct copy of Frozen Ever After, but Tokyo's is in an entirely different league and will be completely original (although storywise might be similar). The show building is roughly 2.5x the size of Frozen Ever After, suggesting it will be far greater in scale and a massive E-ticket headliner (it is even bigger than the upcoming Beauty and the Beast attraction in size).

Brainleech419

Hong Kong and Paris are rumored to be getting a near-direct copy of Frozen Ever After, but Tokyo's is in an entirely different league and will be completely original (although storywise might be similar). The show building is roughly 2.5x the size of Frozen Ever After, suggesting it will be far greater in scale and a massive E-ticket headliner (it is even bigger than the upcoming Beauty and the Beast attraction in size).
Your telling me that tokyo is getting a fancy new E-ticket,well other parks are getting a clone of a subpar attraction already built for the same IP. Weird never heard of that

IMDREW

Don’t forget that HKDL is also getting a frozen coaster. They could do something related to the second movie with this ride.

RandySavage

I'm assuming, based on the available space, the square footages listed early in this thread are total floor area (including 2nd stories), not building footprint. So the footprint of multi-level Frozen ride may not be as large as the one-level Beauty & Beast ride?

From what I gather, this "Enchanted Springs" addition ranks as the most expensive, most filled-out, and largest expansion land ever added to a Disney or Universal park - outranking peers such as Galaxy's Edge, Carsland, Pandora, Hogsmeade, Diagon Alley, etc.

PiratesMansion

I'm assuming, based on the available space, the square footages listed early in this thread are total floor area (including 2nd stories), not building footprint. So the footprint of multi-level Frozen ride may not be as large as the one-level Beauty & Beast ride?

From what I gather, this "Enchanted Springs" addition ranks as the most expensive, most filled-out, and largest expansion land ever added to a Disney or Universal park - outranking peers such as Galaxy's Edge, Carsland, Pandora, Hogsmeade, Diagon Alley, etc.

Makes sense-I'd assume their relative complacency has caused them to lose market share, which has been Universal's gain. Probably time to strike back against HP and the other Uni additions.

Disclaimer that I'm not super-versed in the Japanese theme park market, but everything I've heard has made it sound like USJ has been doing gangbuster business over the past decade and TDR has mostly maintained attendance. If you go by the "official" numbers, USJ beat DisneySea last year.

RandySavage

DisneySea was created to appeal more to a more discerning, older audience in light of Japan's aging population. That strategy has been for the most part reversed/abandoned and OLC are quadrupaling-down on their bread-and-butter fanbase: the Kawaii/Disney-lover. Uni - in a somewhat different geographical market - may be picking up a lot of those not interested in Kawaii, as they build naked coasters along with Nintendo and Potter.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom