Tokyo Disneyland Resort Expansion

BrianLo

Unsurprisingly, it's tied into S.E.A. Camilla Falco appears as a S.E.A. member on one of the oars in Disneyland's Tropical Hideaway.

I love everything they have done with this, such a perfect installation where going the extra mile really makes a difference. The only thing remaining to be seen is how much they gussy up the ride mechanism itself to match the aesthetics.

Timothy_Q

Unsurprisingly, it's tied into S.E.A. Camilla Falco appears as a S.E.A. member on one of the oars in Disneyland's Tropical Hideaway.

I love everything they have done with this, such a perfect installation where going the extra mile really makes a difference. The only thing remaining to be seen is how much they gussy up the ride mechanism itself to match the aesthetics.
It really is the perfect example of how to integrate a ride into an existing land / park

The only disappointment is is not getting a new movie.
I was hopping they'd at least replace the Sydney and Paris scenes, that really stand out from a period standpoint

ThemeParkTraveller

It really is the perfect example of how to integrate a ride into an existing land / park

The only disappointment is is not getting a new movie.
I was hopping they'd at least replace the Sydney and Paris scenes, that really stand out from a period standpoint

While the majority of scenes should be the same, it does look like the TDS version will have some unique variations.

Based on the popular attraction, Soarin’ Around the World, which has been enjoyed by Guests visiting the Disney parks outside of Japan, the attraction at Tokyo DisneySea will feature new scenes and visuals for an experience exclusive to the Park in Japan.

http://www.olc.co.jp/en/news/news_tdr/20190118_01e/main/0/link/20190118_01e.pdf

A grand tour of the museum includes a magical visit from the spirit of Camellia and culminates with Guests boarding her latest and greatest achievement—a flying vehicle of her own design called the Dream Flyer. Guests soon experience what Camellia believed, that our imagination can propel us into the future and take us everywhere in the world we wish to go. And before Guests know it, their spirits are sent soaring.

It seems some time travel is part of the experience too and how they justify the different time periods spanned in the film.

RandySavage

Among the many interesting developments to track in the Asian parks are mountain back-drops to the new Theater. I'm not a big fan of the painted flats employed in some cases, such as Shanghai Soaring or Reign of Kong (though flats are much better than a plain, visible warehouse). I hoped Tokyo would use traditional and more expensive rockwork mountains (like Carsland, Star Wars Land or MK's Fantasyland). The model makes it look like a hybrid - not 6-inch-thick flats, but not major rockwork either. Here's a first look:
DwcT5gdUUAAORzX.jpg

Animaniac93-98

I’m at Tokyo Disney Resort right now, here are a some pictures from my balcony. So much activity!

View attachment 341531View attachment 341532View attachment 341533View attachment 341534

Off Topic Observation: I love how Space Mountain looks like it's sitting on a giant cake stand. :D

When they built SM in California, they sunk it 14 ft into the ground in order to match the scale of the rest of the park, and it's surrounded by other buildings, so you only notice the upper half from within or outside of the park.

Copying the mountain (2/3 the size of the Florida original), but putting it at ground level looks very odd. I wish they had made the WDW version, if for no other reason than the building looks nicer and then we'd have it in decent condition at least somewhere in the world.

Animaniac93-98

^If you scroll down a number of posts on that linked twitter feed you can see an elevated shot of the back from a hotel. Can't remember where the pic was from, but I've seen a ground shot from Triton's Kingdom exit looking across toward the Ariel M&G, behind which Soarin massively looms.

Also an update on a lesser known project... the new TDL entry plaza (source: https://twitter.com/OneYaoyaFamily):
View attachment 341529

Japanese twitter accounts post updates all these projects quite regularly:
View attachment 341530

Does the front gate construction make it harder or more crowded to get in?

RandySavage

Re: The Village, which will come to pass?:

1. The Sketchup Model/Birdseye Art
B&B Tokyo area ext village aerial 2b.jpg

Or the physical model?
Fantasyland C (1).jpg

If you look closely at #1, the designer took the lower left half of the village, then copy & pasted, rotated & re-colored it for the upper level facades. This is because it saves a little time in sketchup.

The model (#2) shows an appropriately unique upper facade, which I hope will be the case in reality.

I would assume and hope it is #2, but it would seem pretty easy/quick to make the 4 or 5 additional unique facades to show what is actually coming for #1, so why didn't he/she? Odd.

After the botch-job on Shanghai's Fantasyland Village architecture, I really hope TDL nails this area (and it should, given Japan's love of Europe's old half-timbered towns, see Studio Ghibli).

Timothy_Q

Re: The Village, which will come to pass?:

1. The Sketchup Model/Birdseye Art
View attachment 344359

Or the physical model?
View attachment 344364

If you look closely at #1, the designer took the lower left half of the village, then copy & pasted, rotated & re-colored it for the upper level facades. This is because it saves a little time in sketchup.

The model (#2) shows an appropriately unique upper facade, which I hope will be the case in reality.

I would assume and hope it is #2, but it would seem pretty easy/quick to make the 4 or 5 additional unique facades to show what is actually coming for #1, so why didn't he/she? Odd.

After the botch-job on Shanghai's Fantasyland Village architecture, I really hope TDL nails this area (and it should, given Japan's love of Europe's old half-timbered towns, see Studio Ghibli).
Usually models are more accurate to the final product than concept art.

The smaller scale models that get painted (like the one above) are often used as reference for color accuracy when the actual buildings are being painted on location.

While larger scale models are often left unpainted, but are more accurate sculpt-wise, and get 3D scanned into the computer to help all the sculpt work of rocks and buildings

Animaniac93-98

I love how Tokyo gets to keep the 70s Medieval fair look and have a large Old Town village in its Fantasyland. Starting with the Small World facade, Tokyo's Fantasyland will be a kind of history of WDI's take on the concept, including unique stuff like Pooh's Hunny Hunt.

1950s: Skyway Chalet (copied from Disneyland, but now closed)
1960s: Small World exterior
1970s: Castle, Snow White, Peter Pan, Dumbo, Haunted Mansion
1980s: Pinocchio
1990s: Toontown (if you want to count it)
2000s: Queen of Hearts
2010s: Beauty and the Beast village (like New Fantasyland)

Last edited:

PiratesMansion

I love how Tokyo gets to keep the 70s Medieval fair look and have a large Old Town village in its Fantasyland. Starting with the Small World facade, Tokyo's Fantasyland will be a kind of history of WDI's take on the concept, including unique stuff like Pooh's Hunny Hunt.

1950s: Skyway Chalet (copied from Disneyland, but now closed)
1960s: Small World exterior
1970s: Castle, Snow White, Peter Pan, Dumbo, Haunted Mansion
1980s: Pinocchio
1990s: Toontown (if you want to count it)
2000s: Queen of Hearts
2010s: Beauty and the Beast village (like New Fantasyland)

While that is kind of an interesting idea, I'm hoping that someday they'll really go through with a full Fantasyland aesthetic refurb. There's nothing wrong with their attraction lineup, but I've never cared for the older Fantasyland aesthetic and I've never understood why Tokyo has never updated it (though I recognize that, historically, they've done very little updating of original attractions and infrastructure; instead, they've simply maintained the heck out of what they have). Changing it to match a Fantasyland closer in style to DL, DLP, or even HKDL would be a plus to the atmosphere and feel of the area. They might have even taken advantage of opening PhilharMagic or BATB to update it; alas, it seems to not be on their wavelength.

Timothy_Q

While that is kind of an interesting idea, I'm hoping that someday they'll really go through with a full Fantasyland aesthetic refurb. There's nothing wrong with their attraction lineup, but I've never cared for the older Fantasyland aesthetic and I've never understood why Tokyo has never updated it (though I recognize that, historically, they've done very little updating of original attractions and infrastructure; instead, they've simply maintained the heck out of what they have). Changing it to match a Fantasyland closer in style to DL, DLP, or even HKDL would be a plus to the atmosphere and feel of the area. They might have even taken advantage of opening PhilharMagic or BATB to update it; alas, it seems to not be on their wavelength.
As great as TDR is with practically everything, TDL has a lot of very weak areas, from a design standpoint, that really need to be brought up to TDS levels

I'll never understand the decisions behind the Jungle Cruise facade.
The tower looks like something you'd find built at Home Depot. It has no sense of time and place

Jungle-Cruise-ride-way-more-impressive-than-Disney-States.JPG

For comparison, Disneyland's tower is gorgeous

IMG_0045.JPG

Timothy_Q

I'm also no fan of the Fiberglass Tournament Style. But Oriental Land has contemplated an exterior upgrade for Old Fantasyland (and Tomorrowland) on a couple of occasions. They, unfortunately, just never pulled the trigger:
76ffb23bcc68082ccef2b3abb507c4e4.jpg
Thankfully great ideas never die, as that Peter Pan section is now part of the DisneySea expansion

ThemeParkTraveller

A Fantasyland renovation was planned in their original announcement (early 2015) along with the BATB+Alice expansion plans. While only the BATB plan was approved in the end, I'd like to think a complete upgrade of old Fantasyland is in store eventually.

I'm also no fan of the Fiberglass Tournament Style. But Oriental Land has contemplated an exterior upgrade for Old Fantasyland (and Tomorrowland) on a couple of occasions. They, unfortunately, just never pulled the trigger:
76ffb23bcc68082ccef2b3abb507c4e4.jpg

Thanks for sharing. Do you know where this art was originally released? It does look like Fantasy Springs at TDS will borrow heavily from this particular design though.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom