News Tokyo Disneyland Closed

Brummyboy92

Gutted, honestly can't believe my Japan trip that's been years in planning is potentially going to have to be cancelled because of these unusual circumstances

I don't go until May, and can get a full refund two weeks prior to flying out, so going to hold out as long as possible as I really don't want to postpone the trip. However, the measures being taken all over the world suggest this is far worse than we initially thought. :(

cheezbat

Gutted, honestly can't believe my Japan trip that's been years in planning is potentially going to have to be cancelled because of these unusual circumstances

I don't go until May, and can get a full refund two weeks prior to flying out, so going to hold out as long as possible as I really don't want to postpone the trip. However, the measures being taken all over the world suggest this is far worse than we initially thought. :(
I’m right there with you. Absolutely disappointed and upset. My wife and I had our honeymoon planned in early June to Hong Kong Disneyland, then on to Beijing to visit with her cousin and see the Great Wall, then on to Shanghai Disneyland, then to Tokyo to see the City and the Disney Parks...and of time allowed, a trip to see Mt Fuji and Universal Japan....we adjusted our plans after the closure of Shanghai and Hong Kong to just visiting Japan, but now it looks like our entire honeymoon is cancelled. So much for our once in a lifetime trip.

Brummyboy92

Turns out I can't get a refund unless Japan is added to the no fly list, I'm quietly optimistic looking at the figures coming out of Japan though, seems to be more under control than there neighbors. I've still 8 (11 weeks before I'd be at Disney) weeks before I go, so I either see it getting worse and Japan is added to the no fly list within that time-frame, therefore I get a refund, or everything will reopen as I can't see Japan shutting up shop for 8+ weeks.

Some pretty good trackers below, for anyone whose interested.

fctiger

We haven't bought out ticket yet thankfully but we were planning to go end of April to coincide with the opening of Beauty and the Beast. I use to live there but haven't been there in a decade so it was going to be a nice big return trip. Looks like we have to wait it out awhile. I just feel bad for other people in this thread who planned for years to go or already paid money. That truly sucks.

fctiger

Tokyo Disney Resort To be remain closer until early april with expansion Opening Mid may 2020.

Wow, it looks like things are going to take even longer to col down. And who knows, that can be pushed back farther now that it's officially classified by the WHO as a pandemic.

SweetDuffy101

A reminder is that though It might open in Mid may it does not mean that, The new area will open as well. They also stated that they will look at the status of the park when it opens *tentative Mid-May opening* and after that they would release a date on openings about new area.

BasiltheBatLord

Update on the situation in Japan:

The rate of new daily infections has fallen significantly within the past month, and as a result the Japanese Government has decided to lift the state of emergency for the entire country effective tomorrow (the Tokyo area and Hokkaido were the only parts of the country that were still under it).

As of this post there is still not official word on the reopening of TDR (nor USJ even though the state of emergency was lifted in Osaka last week).

The Tokyo Metropolitan Government has adopted a multi-stage approach at reopening things, with step 1 beginning tomorrow with the lifting of the state of emergency. "Amusement parks" are being asked not to reopen until step 3. The Government has already indicated they're hoping to move to step 2 as soon as this weekend, so it looks like they're trying to move through this pretty fast.

Screen Shot 2020-05-25 at 5.35.52 PM.png

A couple things to note about this timeline though:

1. TDR is of course located in Chiba prefecture, not Tokyo. Although being that a large majority of TDR's visitors are likely from Tokyo it wouldn't be surprising to see OLC try to comply with this plan.
2. The government doesn't have the power to enforce any of these restrictions as law, they're just strongly-suggested recommendations.
3. It's not entirely clear whether TDR would qualify as an "amusement park" as indicated here as there are a lot of indoor amusement parks/entertainment centers that are often considered "amusement parks" which could be what this is talking about.

So still remains to be seen what OLC will do in regards to reopening, but I would expect some kind of statement from them soon-ish, as the last statement they put out basically said they weren't going to do anything until the state of emergency was lifted.

Last edited:

SweetDuffy101

Okay so this is a very weird development, Apparently Tokyo Disney Resort is not at Tokyo but in the Chiba Area, But Most of the Visitor's comes from tokyo and other areas, And According to Chiba Governor Theme parks are allowed to Operate from June 1st, I don't know how will OLC take this route are they going to follow the Chiba Area Guidelines or are they going to Follow Tokyo Guidelines, and interesting fact that Ikspiari will resume its operations on June 1st According to my friend who works there.

BasiltheBatLord

Okay so this is a very weird development, Apparently Tokyo Disney Resort is not at Tokyo but in the Chiba Area, But Most of the Visitor's comes from tokyo and other areas, And According to Chiba Governor Theme parks are allowed to Operate from June 1st, I don't know how will OLC take this route are they going to follow the Chiba Area Guidelines or are they going to Follow Tokyo Guidelines, and interesting fact that Ikspiari will resume its operations on June 1st According to my friend who works there.
Interesting, fingers crossed for a June 1st reopening. That only gives them less than a week to announce reopening and fully explain what the procedures will be though... We’ll see.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom