Today I Miss....

Nitrokoff

Today I miss EPCOT...the experimental prototype community of tomorrow.

I miss all the optimism of ALL the attractions.
I admit the first time I went there, I was a teen, a little jaded, and didn't care as much about "educational" rides, or tiny countries.

On the first trip, everything sort of blended together...and I couldn't distinguish Horizons from SSE, or Italy from Germany.
To be fair, it was the very first Disney park I had ever experienced in person, and I think I was mighty overwhelmed just at the sheer size of the place.

Later, I went back with my Mom, and we decided to see EPCOT first , and I took her to see Captain EO as her first Disney experience.

When I got to take my boyfriend(now husband) for his first Disney trip, we hit EPCOT first as well. And we both distinctly remember him falling asleep during the UoE, and upon waking...he had this amazing idea for engineering an energy highway where car's friction would create power to light up the neighborhood.

Everything about Futureworld seemed just on the cusp of happening. Everything about the park sparkled with a feeling of newness and "can do it" attitude. And then we lost Imagination...literally. Along with WoM, Horizons, a SSE that seemed relevant as well as historical, WoL, real people in the Land, all that great inspiring music and everything that seemed to be about wonder and innovation.

Now, I go there for half a day. There just isn't anything to ride that interests me. I don't want thrills, or fast cards, or vomit-inducing space travel. I don't want dumbed down narrations, and budget cut attractions.

I don't want Apathy.

I want Hope.

And a feeling that we, as a country, as a people...as humans... can still do great things.

Is that too much to ask for?

Wow...hit the nail on the head with this one. We have embraced apathy as a way of life. There's always tomorrow and someone else will do it. I'm just waiting to hit the lottery or be selected for a reality show. Or maybe I can sue someone? People no longer want hope. They want instant gratification. They want an app for it. They want to make a million bucks while sitting in bed. It's a sad reality. Even though I still try and find the good in things... I just... :(

Chrononymous

Original Poster
It's kinda nice to see this thread is still active.

Ya know what I miss today?

WDW

It's been almost 7 years since I was there.

So many changes.

I have hope that someday I can go back.
These boards help me cope....

GrammieBee

There are so many things to miss. Here are just a few of them. I'm sure some of these attractions you may not miss at all.

SwanBoats
Mike Fink Keel Boats
Alien Encounter
The Sky Ride
Mr Toad
Honey I Shrunk the Audience
The Wonders of Life Pavillion (Do not really miss Body Wars. That was a queasy ride.)
The origional upstairs hands on area at the Kodak Imagination Pavillion.
The original Studios Tour
The origional Backstage tour.
Shops that sold things besides Disney souveniers.

brb1006

I really miss the Share A Dream Come True Parade. I just love the designs for each float and the idea of seeing one of the characters inside a giant snowglobe. Don't forget the soundtrack to the parade.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom