To take a gorillapod or not

CP_alum08

Original Poster
Hi all, long time no post in these parts!

We are leaving for our Disney honeymoon is just under 3 weeks and I'm going back and for on whether to take a gorillapod for the sony rx100 or not. This will be my first trip to WDW without my DSLR, didn't want to be bother with the excess weight this trip and I didn't think there would be much time I could/should spend on photography.

Aside from a few possible night shots and maybe some fireworks from the Cali Grill balcony I'm really not sure I would ever use the gorillapod...but I hate the thought of wanting one and not having it! Anyone ever take one for a small camera and did you use it much?

wdwmagic

Administrator
Premium Member
I generally think that if you are going small, which you are, you should keep the whole system small and skip the pod.
You are then going to really benefit from sacrificing the DSLR and going ultra compact. Lugging along the pod will lessen that benefit, and I don't see you making a huge amount of use from it. There are always trash cans and walls that can do a job.

Congrats on the wedding and have an amazing time!

celticdog

I agree don't mess with gorilla pod. They take up space in bags and are awkward to carry. Use a purse on the top of trash can, you can even flip a cup over on a table or trash can to gain more height.

I have a low opinion of gorilla pods, especial since I almost lost a camera over the side of a cruise ship. The leg broke off and I was able to grab the strap before the camera went over the side.

thomas998

Hi all, long time no post in these parts!

We are leaving for our Disney honeymoon is just under 3 weeks and I'm going back and for on whether to take a gorillapod for the sony rx100 or not. This will be my first trip to WDW without my DSLR, didn't want to be bother with the excess weight this trip and I didn't think there would be much time I could/should spend on photography.

Aside from a few possible night shots and maybe some fireworks from the Cali Grill balcony I'm really not sure I would ever use the gorillapod...but I hate the thought of wanting one and not having it! Anyone ever take one for a small camera and did you use it much?

Well I think you can skip it all together for the fireworks from the Cali Grill balcony... at the distance you will be from the fireworks I don't think you are likely to get any shots that you will think of as keepers.... The balcony you speak of is further from the fireworks than you think and the RX100 doesn't have much of a zoom unless you use the digital zoom which I wouldn't recommend.

As for night shots, I think you can get decent night shots with the RX100 with no tripod of any sort. My wife has the same camera and I've never needed a tripod when I took photos at night so long as I went manual and set the shutter speed where it should be and not where the camera thinks it should be.

Register on WDWMAGIC. This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.

Back
Top Bottom